Riding in the Snow- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in the Snow

The forecast here calls for less than an inch of snow possible tomorrow. We don't have any on the ground and this just brings up the question of winter riding. How many of you ride in the snow? How deep does it have to be to get you to stop? Any riding tips/horror stories about winter riding. This is New England, and we've had some pretty mild winters now, but I hear this one could pack a punch.

mtbr member
    Ride in snow: Yes.
    How deep is too deep? Technically never, ill just keep a few fun trails clear all winter.
    Thinking about getting wet screams for snow riding...

mtbr member
    Riding in the snow is a must, but I was just going to run the Nevegalls I have now at a little lower pressure and see how those work out.

Pivotal figure
    I only get to do it if I drive up into the mountains but I've found it to be better after a thick crust forms (like when the temp warms for a day or two then drops again). The crust supports you even when the snowpack is deep. Sorta. It's pretty hilarious when you break through that layer and get to see the dropouts getting closer and closer before you do the obligatory OTB. At least all that winter clothing helps soften the impact
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

General Rabble-Rouser
    I ride in the snow all the time. It's either that, or no riding for 3 months... It's the best during the first few falls and you still have earth to grip instead of hard-packed snow. After the snow sets in, it turns into a lot of slow narrow trails. Good practice having to ride an 8" trail all day.

Riding on skating rinks or down long sledding hills on the DH bike is good for a laugh too.

Check around for a winter DH race at the ski resorts. A lot of them do one on their spring splash weekends.

I run normal pressure as measured at room temp. The cold will drop the pressures for you enough. Soft compound tires are great too.
    I've had problems in the past with single-ply tires slipping on the rim, and tearing out the valve stem on snow rides with low pressures. Not so with DH tires.

I've fallen a lot, gone OTB getting sucked into soft snow, and slid along on my ass when the bike slips out without much effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidie
    Riding in the snow is a must, but I was just going to run the Nevegalls I have now at a little lower pressure and see how those work out.
    Riding in the snow is great! I'm also in New England (CT) and ride year round.
    A friend of mine ran Nevegals with normal pressure last winter with no complaints.
    I had WTB Weirwolfs and they worked ok but would pack up in deeper snow.
    This winter I plan to try a tire with wider knob spacing.
    Once it gets Icy studded tires are ideal.

Usually when the snow get's deeper than 6 inches and the trails aren't packed down yet by other riders, I'll ride on the roads and look around town for stuff to jump off of.. (See avatar)
    Last edited by mcrumble69; 12-06-2008 at 07:29 PM.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I ride on the packed snow of parking lots and stuff, really good for learning how to flat track your bike. Last season I was getting arcs about 20 feet in diameter and riding out of it.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    yeah, CT is not a bad place for riding. I ride case all the time. I live 15 minutes away!
    Does anyone keep going nuts all winter, or do you temper your jumping, etc. when it gets snowy?

mtbr member
    yeah, CT is not a bad place for riding. I ride case all the time. I live 15 minutes away!
    Does anyone keep going nuts all winter, or do you temper your jumping, etc. when it gets snowy?
    Same here, Case is my closest trail (10 minutes away)so that's where I usually ride in the winter.
    Another good place to ride in winter is Bluff Point in Groton. It's on the shore so it usually doesn't get as much snow.
    I actually jump more in the winter. I don't mind missing ride time due to injury as much.

mtbr member
    Riding in the snow is a blast on the trails and is something you have to try out. Hell even commuting from my appt to work is fun as hell. We got like two inches today and on the way home I was just jacking my rear brake on my hard rock and drifting all over the place. Took me an extra 15 minutes to get home I was having so much fun. I love the look some people give you when your practically sideways going around a corner.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

Glad to Be Alive
    snow = traction + fun

ice = falls + pain + no fun
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Grayville

I gave it a shot at grayville, and hit some pretty basic/easy stunts and moderate stuff too. it was definitely slicker, but really fun. I can't wait for my headlight to come in at the LBS this week so I can do a night ride some time.

mtbr member
    I gave it a shot at grayville, and hit some pretty basic/easy stunts and moderate stuff too. it was definitely slicker, but really fun. I can't wait for my headlight to come in at the LBS this week so I can do a night ride some time.
    Nice!!!
    The wood stuff can be really slick.

mtbr member
    i noticed. i slid out on a few of the corners on some of the bridges and stuff. Sadly, it looks like we're gonna lose all of the snow tomorrow, but at least I'll get a nice mud ride in.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oh dont worry its very muddy since all the snow melted today just makes for more fun.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"
    -John F. Kennedy-

Petty and weak
    What's snow? Seriously I've never seen it.
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled
    This should get you started.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow

mtbr member
    snow i crystalised rain. unlike water it can be manipulated to make sculptures, such as snow men it also can make for good snow ball fight... where you get a hand full of snow squeeze it with your hands so it is compacted and throw it at some one . but as said above it can melt slightly and then freaze completely creating ice, which is extremly cold water that becomes solid. it is then very sliper ...and fun!

hopfuly i wasnt patrinising (sorry at school no spell checker)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

Petty and weak
    I'll stick to Wikipedia, cheers bro.

(note: esarcasm content!)

local trails rider
    I'll stick to Wikipedia, cheers bro.

(note: esarcasm content!)
    But you don't have to. If your profile is correct, this is roughly in your corner of the world:

maker of trail
    The forecast here calls for less than an inch of snow possible tomorrow. We don't have any on the ground and this just brings up the question of winter riding. How many of you ride in the snow? How deep does it have to be to get you to stop? Any riding tips/horror stories about winter riding. This is New England, and we've had some pretty mild winters now, but I hear this one could pack a punch.
    A little snow is ok, once the ground freezes its great, once the snow gets deep enough and snow shoer's have been through and packed the trails its a blast, at night its bright (white everywhere), the trails are completely different (smooth and fast rather than rooty and rocky).

The only problem is the cold, oil in forks/shocks gets a lot thicker, the seals harden up and can get damaged, hydro brakes get sluggish, ice build up on drive train can be annoying, extremities get cold quick, water in camel back hose freezes... Basically in the winter the HT comes out

SNOWRIDER

DUDE I feel for ya man

I ride in snow every year and Can't imagine life without it

There is no such thing as too much snow for me, But the I leave the DH'er at home for the
    winter..

Duane

WHEN THE SNOW MELTS, WHERE DOES THE WHITE GO?
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm in colorado and I do some freeriding in the snow but for the most part it snows 20 inches then melts in a few days leaving only snow in the corners I usually hit at 20 MPH and up. You have to slow down alot or you can have some very interesting drifts. but overall gotta love the curveball it throws at you.

bi-winning
    Ride in snow? Sure. How much is too much?

Well, it depends. If you wait a few days for hikers to pack down a track, you can ride when there is quite a bit of snowfall. It's a whole different kind of singletrack. If you can't hold a line, you will be in the deep snow...

Horror stories? None really. Dress appropriately. Beware that whatever you put in your water bottle might freeze. Gatorade will be consumable for longer periods of time than water. Beware of water crossings, or braking through puddles. The water will quickly freeze on your bike, which may render your brakes and/or shifters useless.
    Last edited by rkj__; 12-10-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Petty and weak
    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydude
    DUDE I feel for ya man

I ride in snow every year and Can't imagine life without it

There is no such thing as too much snow for me, But the I leave the DH'er at home for the
    winter..

WHEN THE SNOW MELTS, WHERE DOES THE WHITE GO?
    I'll have to make it to the Australian Alps next year to have a look. Man, where are the brakes on your skibike?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    wait a few days for hikers to pack down a track, ... It's a whole different kind of singletrack.
    Perfect for fast hard pack tyres

All the rocks and roots have disappeared.

SNOWRIDER
    I'll have to make it to the Australian Alps next year to have a look. Man, where are the brakes on your skibike?
    You don't need no brakes man! Yiu put the bike sideways to control your speed and stop
    just like ski's or a snowboard
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Here is a graphic for you....

Does this help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

addict

Homemade snow tires

Anyone have any advice on homemade studded tires?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82
    Anyone have any advice on homemade studded tires?
    Don't use them on any hard surface.

Studs are good for ice and very hard packed snow. They make little difference on snow that is at all soft.

addict
    Looking to make my own studded tires for cruising town. The roads here are hardpack snow and ice for at least 6 months a year making riding with non-studded tires an adventure,

local trails rider
    If you are using the tires around town, they will sometimes hit bare pavement, right? If you have to make your own, cut the screws very short: just above rubber surface.

Or do it the easy way: get ready made studded tires from Nokian or Schwalbe.

Just found a link to some sudded tyre information: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    home made tires suck,they suck even more when you get run over by them
    i got run over twice after i crashed at the shawnee peak snow dh race

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Have I missed something, when was the last time Hawaii got snow

mtbr member
    I'm going up to mammoth soon but I don't like skiing or snowboarding. Any suggestions for cold weather gloves / other riding gear I might be overlooking?

Thanks!
    Miles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mornish
    I'm going up to mammoth soon but I don't like skiing or snowboarding. Any suggestions for cold weather gloves / other riding gear I might be overlooking?

Thanks!
    Miles
    Fox Polar Paw work great for me in the winter. I wear under armor base layer winter gear. Then some windbreaker gear with a good lining over it. Oh, and of course some goggles/glasses for wind protection for my eyes. I never get cold. The base layer keeps most of my body heat in, the lining in the outer gear helps that, and the outer layer helps keep wind out. One more thing, elastic cuffs and waistbands are your friend. Might not look all that cool, but they'll help keep you warm.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix
    Fox Polar Paw work great for me in the winter. I wear under armor base layer winter gear. Then some windbreaker gear with a good lining over it. Oh, and of course some goggles/glasses for wind protection for my eyes. I never get cold. The base layer keeps most of my body heat in, the lining in the outer gear helps that, and the outer layer helps keep wind out. One more thing, elastic cuffs and waistbands are your friend. Might not look all that cool, but they'll help keep you warm.
    Thanks a lot, I'll look into it.
    -Miles

Members who have read this thread: 0