riding backwards.- Mtbr.com
    College
    Jun 2004

riding backwards.

Do you guys have any tips on riding backwards, everytime i try i kinda push my body over the handle bars too much to keep my balance. First i hit the brakes and do ride on my front wheel then i land back down and ride back. I can get a few feet, but that's it.

dirt rules
    Find a mellow hill or incline and practice. Then practice some more. It's like learning to do manuals, it takes balance and lots of practice. You will eventually get a feel for it. Sitting on the seat makes it easier to backpedal without throwing your balance off.

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Find a mellow hill or incline and practice. Then practice some more. It's like learning to do manuals, it takes balance and lots of practice. You will eventually get a feel for it. Sitting on the seat makes it easier to backpedal without throwing your balance off.
    I'll try that, i usually just stand up and back pedal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Find a transition somewhere! Skatepark or other. It's like going forward.....the faster you go the more stable the bike is. Roll up the transition hit brakes, stop roll back. Also try turning the pedals just quicker than they normally would. Turning them fast makes it harder to balance. Form first then look good. Once you get your balance together, you can work on hoppin' out or J turning out of it. Unfortunately the faster you go the harder you fall but that's the price of the game. You gotta get wrecked to get good.
    GeT Yo HuCk On FoO!

Cynical Bystander
    Goin' backwards is way hard but with some practice it becomes easier and easier. I find that pedalling quicker backwards than it can engage in allows me to keep it going longer, but I suck at coming out of them.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Its just like when you first learned to ride foreward, turn the way your beginning to fall...but only a little bit or you'll just go in a circle. As for rolling out, it helps if your pedal is in a position that you can pedal when you're turned half way, then you can pedal out of the second part.
    My best advise is to learn on a bmx first...the smaller wheel makes them a lot easier to learn to roll out of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    My best advise is to learn on a bmx first...the smaller wheel makes them a lot easier to learn to roll out of.
    This is very true. The contact patch on a mtb is bigger so a little front wheel movement moves the bike a lot.
    GeT Yo HuCk On FoO!

mtbr member
    i tried to pedal bakwards..but my chain just keeps skipping down to the lowest gear and mangles and twists itself...do you know y?
    Also know as TurnerDHRider

USB Rep'n

another thing to try....

as you roll back (pedalling) off the ramp/tranny try actually pulling back a bit on the bars.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimura
    i tried to pedal bakwards..but my chain just keeps skipping down to the lowest gear and mangles and twists itself...do you know y?
    It's because your bike need help. A properly tuned driveline will not do that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Derailer maybe out of alignment.........Just a guess though.
    GeT Yo HuCk On FoO!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by pntbutta
    Derailer maybe out of alignment.........Just a guess though.
    Or adjusted wrong, it happens on my hardtail but its a sh1tty Deore so I figure I'll wait till I upgrade the drivetrain to fix it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Or adjusted wrong, it happens on my hardtail but its a sh1tty Deore so I figure I'll wait till I upgrade the drivetrain to fix it.

yeah i woulved thought so..i might do the same..lol..its a deore and m waiting it to get upgraded...plus...riding bakwards doesnt really impress me..so i wouldnt even bother tuning it..lol

kC
    Also know as TurnerDHRider

dirt rules
    yeah i woulved thought so..i might do the same..lol..its a deore and m waiting it to get upgraded...plus...riding bakwards doesnt really impress me..so i wouldnt even bother tuning it..lol
    I hope you are just kidding, because if you neglect your equipment, one day it may cost you dearly. Someone just posted recently that they became very badly hurt when their chain skipped while doing a small jump. Learn to take care of your bike, and you will reduce the chances of a failure doing damage you or your bike.
    Just something to think about.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    I hope you are just kidding, because if you neglect your equipment, one day it may cost you dearly. Someone just posted recently that they became very badly hurt when their chain skipped while doing a small jump. Learn to take care of your bike, and you will reduce the chances of a failure doing damage you or your bike.
    Just something to think about.....
    yup, my hardrock i take sweet care of, after every ride. i check the brakes and work fine, but it's not fit for my riding style so it's crap now. anyways it on;y costed 300, savin for an sxt