Riding Alone- Mtbr.com

Thread: Riding Alone

Ammar
    Jul 2006

Riding Alone

What are your opinions on occasionally riding alone. I know I do about one a week to clear my head. It's like doing yoga!

MONKEYMAN
    I do it almost exclusively. I can't find anyone interested in my favorite rides, or if I can, it's S L O W going. I usually ride about 8 miles to the trail head, do a 16 mile loop and then ride the same 8 miles home. I always get the "Why don't we just drive to the bottom of railroad grade and ride from there?"
    ick. drive a car to the trail head? maybe when I'm in my sixties!

I carry a cellphone, Co2, tools and some food. I've never had a problem. the cellphone is key.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    hell yeah man. The problem is that some people dont want to do what you want! When your by yourself, you can do whatever trail as many times as you want. It's a beutiful thing

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Riding alone has its advantages, but riding with friends, specifically FR/DJ and the more aggressive/extreme aspects, has its advantages too. You tend to feed off each others' energy. You tend to try things you normally wouldn't, whether it be to showcase or from elevated confidence/adrenaline, and if a rider goes down far off the trail head, you have your buddy(ies) there to help you back to safety.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    thats true, but for some reason, I tend to try new things when I ride alone. Idk : p

Capricious youth...
    I ride light AM and XC alone sometimes.

But freeride/downhill? Never.

If I got hurt, alone, I'd be screwed.
    Meh.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    yeah, AM stuff and trail riding. If you go FRing by yourself, your pretty much screwed! Haha

N* Bomber Crew
    Ride Smart!

1. Always carry a Fully Charged Cell Phone with a ICE Number Listed. (In Case of Emergency).
    2. Ride with your I.D., even if you do not drive to your riding location.
    3. Let someone know you went riding, ANYONE. Tell your Mom, Dad, Neighbor, Roommate, whatever, so that way if you don't come back that night they can obviously do something about it.
    4. Bring your own tools: Self Explanatory, but make sure you can do all repairs on your own. I tend to mooch off peoples bike tools when we group ride, but double check your CamelBak before heading out.
    5. Ride on a Popular Trail: Save those secluded trails for another day. Ride on a popular trail that you know people use.

Riding alone is okay as long as you do it the smart way.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i ride XC AM everyday on my lunch here in walnut creek...as much as i love being alone it definitely is fun to ride with others...its also alot safer, but i never ride without a cell and i have my ID bracelet attached to my camelbak so if i forget who i am then someone can tell me....

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Ride Smart!

1. Always carry a Fully Charged Cell Phone with a ICE Number Listed. (In Case of Emergency).
    2. Ride with your I.D., even if you do not drive to your riding location.
    3. Let someone know you went riding, ANYONE. Tell your Mom, Dad, Neighbor, Roommate, whatever, so that way if you don't come back that night they can obviously do something about it.
    4. Bring your own tools: Self Explanatory, but make sure you can do all repairs on your own. I tend to mooch off peoples bike tools when we group ride, but double check your CamelBak before heading out.
    5. Ride on a Popular Trail: Save those secluded trails for another day. Ride on a popular trail that you know people use.

Riding alone is okay as long as you do it the smart way.
    All good advice.

I ratchet it back a notch or two when riding alone. That doesn't mean I ride cautiously..... I'm still agressive, but I'll skip some of the more dangerous moves with more potential for bad outcomes.

EB

mtbr member
    Sorry to hijack the thread (an extension of OP)... But how many is too many for your group?

At most for my crew is 4. Makes for efficiency. Too many and you wait for the tail all day.

EastBaySteez
    I usually ride with 2-3 other people. More than that and you sit around waiting.
    I'll ride XC or AM alone but I have a tendency to crash and *#!* myself up every once and awhile. So when its FR and DH time only with buddies.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    Ive experimented with group sizing and came to a conclusion that more than 4 riders causes some problems. Whenever im riding Lift access I only ride w/ my good friends. I know how they ride, what they ride, and we all get along just fine!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    As I'm very new to riding, I'm not riding anywhere by myself (unless it's stuff in my neighborhood, where everything is flat, safe and boring). I have a friend that's just starting out too so we're probably going to do all our riding together since we probably won't slow each other down..

The thing with lift access parks is that, even though I'm sure they're WAY more fun with a friend or a group of friends, I feel like the buddy system isn't as important. I've ridden Diablo once and Plattekill once and I feel like at both places even if I went down injured and was by myself somebody would've spotted me and helped me out. Even Plattekill was really well populated considering it was the last weekend of the season and it was like 25 degrees. Clearly my lift access park experience is not at all extensive so I could be completely wrong.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    NO, your right. But if god forbid you go down really hard and are on the less used backside of Diablo, your buddy will be there to call 911 for your ass : ).

But you are correct, you can ride safetly at lift accessed parks by yourself.

Pivotal figure
    I've been doing it for over 10 years, mainly due to my old work schedule (night shift). I do tend to stay on well traveled trails most of the time and will let someone know if I'm riding somewhere else.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

StraightOuttaCompton
    I do a little bit of AM/very light FR on occasion alone. It is by a construction site, and everyone knows where i am. It is mostly roads, and only 1 singletrack, so i rarely ever fall. I just cruise when i am by myself so i don't crash and die alone. Riding FR/DH is not reccomended alone.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Glad to Be Alive
    the only problem of riding alone is the dangers of an accident....keeping a cell phone...letting people know where you are and the time you come back with a call to them.....and also ride 75% of your ability....don't push it, be careful
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Waiting for Godot
    Everytime I ride alone I pull off some amazing move, pull over, look back and there is nobody there to see it. Sigh.......... it might as well not happened.

Bring witnesses to see you shine and make fun of you when you don't.

mtbr member
    The only other guy in my whole town that rides has gone off to boarding school, so I'm stuck with riding alone 75% of the time. It's not so bad when you've got an iPod to crank out some beats, but don't want to think about what would happen if I f*cked myself up in the middle of the woods.

StraightOuttaCompton
    The only other guy in my whole town that rides has gone off to boarding school, so I'm stuck with riding alone 75% of the time. It's not so bad when you've got an iPod to crank out some beats, but don't want to think about what would happen if I f*cked myself up in the middle of the woods.
    Or saw a body in a bag.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    I'm anti-listening to stuff while riding. For all you know there could be a fellow biker hurt badly shouting for help off of the trail, and there you are, riding along with your iPod...

Not saying you're a bad person for doing it, just something to think about.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    I ate it pretty hard not to long ago, and boy was i happy to have friends there. Unfortunately, my bike is my only riding buddy usually, and it sucks sometimes(actually most of the time). Its so lame having to ride and build all by myself. So if you have anyone willing to ride with, I'd say ride with them. Otherwise, just bounce around and try to not get hurt.
    Gnar Cal!

dirt rules
    Jeez, riding alone sucks. Who's going to see your pimped out bike, and all the expensive gear you bought? What a waste. <--- sarcasm

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ride alone quite often. Just got back from a solo night ride. I usually take it easy when I ride alone, which maybe a mistake. My worst bike and skateboard accidents have happened while riding alone.
    1) Cracked kneecap cut to the bone, you could look in and see the joint.(bike)
    2) Chopped off the ends of two fingers.(bike)
    3) Broken back(skateboard)

When you ride alone and get hurt you just gotta get yourself out.The cell phone has never worked when I was hurt until I had driven some distance to get a signal. I always tell my wife where I am going and often times write the trail name down and sometimes directions for her so she knows where to start looking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm anti-listening to stuff while riding. For all you know there could be a fellow biker hurt badly shouting for help off of the trail, and there you are, riding along with your iPod...

I agree 100%.
    However, I did try that on a local XC trail here with my mp3 cell phone. The consensus there was that the little earpieces kept falling out of my ear after a few bumps, plus I kept the volume down so I was still able to hear the bike rolling over the ground, wind blowing leaves, etc. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather listen to the environment than the music whilst riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Man, if you cut open your knee and lost chunks of two fingers while "taking it easy", please don't EVER try testing your limits.

On the topic of listening to music while riding though, I don't think I would ever listen to headphones while riding, mostly because I've gotten so used to noise isolating earbuds that I don't think I can use anything else, and those things block out almost all outside noise, to the extent that I can't hear someone if they're standing next to me trying to talk to me. I did see a kid riding Diablo with some sort of backpack with integrated speakers that played music out loud. Seems like a cool concept since you can have your music but still keep up your awareness of what's going on around you. Of course, this would never work for me because I'm sure everyone around me would hate whatever I'm listening to, haha.

Capricious youth...
    I've ridden with a pack of 6 or 7 people who are all the same speed. For a 5 minute downhill run, even the leader doesn't wait for more than 20-30 seconds at the bottom of the hill.

But I've also ridden with a group of 2 other people, and waited at the bottom of the hill for 5-10 minutes.

It just depends on who you ride with, their skill level, and how fast you're riding that day.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    I've ridden with a pack of 6 or 7 people who are all the same speed. For a 5 minute downhill run, even the leader doesn't wait for more than 20-30 seconds at the bottom of the hill.
    How on earth did you fit 6 people in your pack? That must've been really hard on your suspension. My pack is only big enough to hold my camelbak, toolkit and some energy bars.

Hahaha.

mtbr member
    I ride DH and Snowboard by myself pretty much all the time. But I know in the back of my head it's not safe. I'd rather ride by myself then not at all so safety is a big factor in my mind so I won't fully push myself.
    I'm openly looking for riding buddies though. lol

mtbr member

Thats definately a valid concern, only that the trails I ride are more or less forgotten about unmarked paths through the woods that might get hiked by a couple of people a couple of times a summer. I would be very surprised if I were to come across another rider.

OTTer
    Wouldnt be a bad idea to send text msgs every so often giving updates on your location (or if you take an investigative detour someplace that a might get missed by the search team) also keeps YOU updated as to the whether there actually is any cellphone reception.

Members who have read this thread: 0