RF Diabolous headset removal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

RF Diabolous headset removal

Hey there,

The frame I just picked up has a Diabolous headset installed but unfortunately the top compression race/seal etc is missing (the seller told me about it). I tried contacting RF about it and got no love (even though I drive past them every day on my way to work) and the LBS I contacted to try and track down the part says it's not in his small parts order list...sigh.
    Anyway, I have a King that I could install but am wondering about knocking out the RF cups. I tried my brass drift and hammer routine, but to no avail. I've never had a deep fitting headset so I'm not sure if I just have to get brutal with it or have someone who has the proper tools to get them out? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike E.

mtbr member

RF removal

Quote Originally Posted by Mike E.
    Hey there,

The frame I just picked up has a Diabolous headset installed but unfortunately the top compression race/seal etc is missing (the seller told me about it). I tried contacting RF about it and got no love (even though I drive past them every day on my way to work) and the LBS I contacted to try and track down the part says it's not in his small parts order list...sigh.
    Anyway, I have a King that I could install but am wondering about knocking out the RF cups. I tried my brass drift and hammer routine, but to no avail. I've never had a deep fitting headset so I'm not sure if I just have to get brutal with it or have someone who has the proper tools to get them out? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike E.
    I just had one installed on my new VP Free.
    Please post details on how you finally get it out...it may come in handy sometime for other riders (like myself).
    thanks...and good luck.

mtbr member
    I am really surprised RF did not help you out (or did you mention to them that you purchased the thing second hand?)

As for the proper tool maybe the Parktool RT1 (good LBS should have one)

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...50&item=RT%2D1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike E.
    Hey there,

Cheers,

Mike E.

Members who have read this thread: 0