revamping drivetrain, need some advice- Mtbr.com
    RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

revamping drivetrain, need some advice

I'd like to replace my Shimano 9sp cassette with an 8 spd cassette, 8spd chain, SRAM X.9 rear derailleur and X.9 trigger shifter.

1. is an 8sp cassette a direct (aka - simple) replacement?
    2. what's the best 8spd cassette? I'm leaning toward the SRAM PG850.
    3. what's the best 8spd chain?
    4. should I get the 11-28t or 11-32t cassette?

would there be any advantage to going with a 7spd cassette? I really only use about 4 gears anyway.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM
    I'd like to replace my Shimano 9sp cassette with an 8 spd cassette, 8spd chain, SRAM X.9 rear derailleur and X.9 trigger shifter.
    1. is an 8sp cassette a direct (aka - simple) replacement?
    2. what's the best 8spd cassette? I'm leaning toward the SRAM PG850.
    3. what's the best 8spd chain?
    4. should I get the 11-28t or 11-32t cassette?
    would there be any advantage to going with a 7spd cassette? I really only use about 4 gears anyway.
    1. 8 speed cassette will slip right on.
    2 & 3. I have only used Sram.
    4. 11-28T.
    You can install the 8 speed without the last sprocket & install a spacer instead. You will need to adjust the derailleur stop to compensate for the missing gear.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    1. 8 speed cassette will slip right on.
    2 & 3. I have only used Sram.
    4. 11-28T.
    You can install the 8 speed without the last sprocket & install a spacer instead. You will need to adjust the derailleur stop to compensate for the missing gear.
    8 and 9 speed do NOT have the same spacing - an 8 speed cassette will NOT work with a 9 speed shifter regardless of limit sets.

If you want to run SRAM 8 speed, you will need to use the 8 speed X.7 shifter pod, they do not make an x.9 or x.0 in 8 speed; the derailleurs are 1:1 and will work as either 8 or 9 speed depending on the shifter used.

As far as best chain and cassette, while I hate to say it - shimano cassettes are significantly better than SRAM (and significantly more expensive), and I find the chains a bit better - I do prefer the SRAM derailleurs greatly (my XTRs - and even an XT and LX -work great, but the banging and inability to shift while braking are the deal breakers these days)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i run an x.7 8 speed drivetrain and it's great. 8 speed is so much easier and works so much better than 9 (i ride urban so i liek the thicker stronger chain) and you can get x.9 in 8 speed. just look at the sram site bro, they make it, now finding it may be a different issue, i had to get my 8 speed shifter off ebay cause i couldn't find them anywhere but they do exist.

Glad to Be Alive
    go sram
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I'd vote for the SRAM rear derailleur and shifters...using X7 on mine. I have to agree on the quality of Shimano cassettes and chain. I use the XTR steel 8spd. 11-32 cassettes on 4 of my bikes...one of the best 8spd. cassettes ever. Using this type of setup produces an extemely trouble-free drivetrain that stays in adjustment for extended periods.

yo TNC...I am like the "Lone Ranger" ...I love trigger
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

8spd. X9 shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    8 and 9 speed do NOT have the same spacing - an 8 speed cassette will NOT work with a 9 speed shifter regardless of limit sets.

If you want to run SRAM 8 speed, you will need to use the 8 speed X.7 shifter pod, they do not make an x.9 or x.0 in 8 speed; the derailleurs are 1:1 and will work as either 8 or 9 speed depending on the shifter used.

As far as best chain and cassette, while I hate to say it - shimano cassettes are significantly better than SRAM (and significantly more expensive), and I find the chains a bit better - I do prefer the SRAM derailleurs greatly (my XTRs - and even an XT and LX -work great, but the banging and inability to shift while braking are the deal breakers these days)
    Well, they do actually make an X9 8spd. shifter...twist model...got one on my Bullit. Do people actually use those trigger style shifters?

I'd vote for the SRAM rear derailleur and shifters...using X7 on mine. I have to agree on the quality of Shimano cassettes and chain. I use the XTR steel 8spd. 11-32 cassettes on 4 of my bikes...one of the best 8spd. cassettes ever. Using this type of setup produces an extemely trouble-free drivetrain that stays in adjustment for extended periods.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    thanks for the info guys. I'm glad to hear the 8spd drivetrains are generally more reliable and shift better. My 9 spd has been pretty sturdy, but I've had shifting troubles since day 1.

To summarize all the feedback above, what do you think of this set up?

Shimano XTR 8spd cassette
    Shimano 8spd chain
    SRAM X.9 rear derailleur
    SRAM X.7 8spd trigger shifter
    Last edited by RTM; 12-29-2005 at 11:21 AM.

mtbr member
    1. Slides right on. Quick and simple change.
    2. Don't get Sram cassettes, Sram makes quaility parts but I've heard to go with Shimano Cassettes. The Srams outer cogs(from what I've heard) are flimsey and will bend and flex.
    3. Sram's chains are great- the Sram PC-68 the best 8spd chains on their website.
    4. your preference- if you want that 32tooth cog to get you up some hills get 11-32, if you get off your bike and push it up the hill anyway get the 11-28.

P.S. Good choice on going from 9spd to 8spd.
    Hope that helped abit. Peace

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    XTRs -inability to shift while braking are the deal breakers these days)
    You must have a internal transmission, cool.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    1. Slides right on. Quick and simple change.
    2. Don't get Sram cassettes, Sram makes quaility parts but I've heard to go with Shimano Cassettes. The Srams outer cogs(from what I've heard) are flimsey and will bend and flex.
    3. Sram's chains are great- the Sram PC-68 the best 8spd chains on their website.
    4. your preference- if you want that 32tooth cog to get you up some hills get 11-32, if you get off your bike and push it up the hill anyway get the 11-28.

P.S. Good choice on going from 9spd to 8spd.
    Hope that helped abit. Peace
    definitely helps. thanks.

I'm goign to have to call SRAM to find a dealer that carries the X.7 or X.9 (my preference) in an 8spd trigger. From what I can tell Plurpimpin is right, they do make them, but finding them has been almost impossible. Anyone know who carries them?

your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I use the XTR steel 8spd. 11-32 cassettes on 4 of my bikes...one of the best 8spd. cassettes ever. Using this type of setup produces an extemely trouble-free drivetrain that stays in adjustment for extended periods.
    do you know what model xtr youre using? m900?

Members who have read this thread: 0