Resurrecting the Foam Pit Idea- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Resurrecting the Foam Pit Idea

I just saw some pictures posted of a foam pit and now I want to build one again. I did before and stuff, but foam was too hard to find. I think mine will be about 5-6 feet deep and 10 feet wide and 15 feet long, maybe (probably a bit smaller though)

Does anyone have an idea of where to find the foam for cheap? I've looked on ebay and there is some guy in Lousiana with foam for cheap, but I'm not a local. So if you guys help me out you can use it anytime you're around Napa, CA.
    Thanks,
    Matt

USB Rep'n
    Im no help on where to buy foam but Im not sure why you want to go through the effort of building a pit. Some will argue but I really don't think it helps the skilz that much. Mentally, it doesn't get you in the game. Anyone can watch a vid or even real riders throw down mad so you already know the move to make. Its really more a matter of nuttin' up and trying it. You can get things dialed in a pit but you never get the mental stones to go hit it on dirt or on a ramp.

This is just my opinion of course but its from experience. Taking your hands or feet off the bike is way different (mentally) on a double thats half the size of the ramp you are using for your pit. I say, start on dirt (or park jump sif you like), start small, eat some sh!t, repeat. You'll progress and be mentally prepared when you do. I recently watched a guy get folded on a ramp trying a backflip head been pinning all day in a foam pit. Its just not the same.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Might I suggest a "resi-pit" ramp. http://www.campwoodward.com/wweast/home.html Seeing them in real life, it looks like a ramp with a layer of the foam padding they lay on the floor for wrestling. You can still ride out your landing, but if you fall its a LOT more forgiving.

Now with flavor!!
    Whether it's a worthwhile endeavor to learn tricks on dirt or not, I think a foam pit would be fun as hell.

So would a resi-mat.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Whether it's a worthwhile endeavor to learn tricks on dirt or not, I think a foam pit would be fun as hell.

So would a resi-mat.
    Great point Kevin. They are really really fun.

BTW, I put a home modified, heavy duty die spring (footnote to my boy Sean) and the Firefly is unreal now!

eh-nay Ityopia!

Giant STP 06
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    Im no help on where to buy foam but Im not sure why you want to go through the effort of building a pit. Some will argue but I really don't think it helps the skilz that much. Mentally, it doesn't get you in the game. Anyone can watch a vid or even real riders throw down mad so you already know the move to make. Its really more a matter of nuttin' up and trying it. You can get things dialed in a pit but you never get the mental stones to go hit it on dirt or on a ramp.

This is just my opinion of course but its from experience. Taking your hands or feet off the bike is way different (mentally) on a double thats half the size of the ramp you are using for your pit. I say, start on dirt (or park jump sif you like), start small, eat some sh!t, repeat. You'll progress and be mentally prepared when you do. I recently watched a guy get folded on a ramp trying a backflip head been pinning all day in a foam pit. Its just not the same.
    I believe pits are how the first backflip was learned in mx, along with other flip things

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i think i'm gonna try and build one, shouldn't be too hard to get the actual pit built...
    but i'll have more trouble getting/hauling foam around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKassZ
    Might I suggest a "resi-pit" ramp. http://www.campwoodward.com/wweast/home.html Seeing them in real life, it looks like a ramp with a layer of the foam padding they lay on the floor for wrestling. You can still ride out your landing, but if you fall its a LOT more forgiving.
    yeah, but i think the best thing would be to
    1) foam pit to practice stuff for the first time
    2) resi ramp to get it dialed and actually work on landing
    3) take it to the dirt

mtbr member
    1 word for you foam problems

asbestos
    signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yes a foam pit is extremely helpful for learning jumping and tricks...think Travis Pastrana!
    another idea is trampoline, perhaps a little more accessible...i've seen a trampoline that was set-up over a hole in the ground so the trampoline is level with the ground....this makes using the trampoline really easy and if you fly off the center, you don't have like 5 feet to fall to the ground (at least)

for the trampoline, you take the wheels of the bike and pad up the forks and bottom of the bike so the bike doesn't rip a hole in the trampoline
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    yes a foam pit is extremely helpful for learning jumping and tricks...think Travis Pastrana!
    another idea is trampoline, perhaps a little more accessible...i've seen a trampoline that was set-up over a hole in the ground so the trampoline is level with the ground....this makes using the trampoline really easy and if you fly off the center, you don't have like 5 feet to fall to the ground (at least)

for the trampoline, you take the wheels of the bike and pad up the forks and bottom of the bike so the bike doesn't rip a hole in the trampoline
    I have seen the same setup but we have a net and are trampoline is like 18ft so we left it on the legs and dug a 4ft deep whole under its so when you jumping you dont hit the ground. We got ski setups for are bikes(we bolted ski boots to our old forks and hooked skis to them) and and wrapped the skis in pool toy foam and we jump onto it of of a huge platform its alot of fun.

also if you dont know where to get foam ask a gymnastics place.
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    yeah, but i think the best thing would be to
    1) foam pit to practice stuff for the first time
    2) resi ramp to get it dialed and actually work on landing
    3) take it to the dirt
    you're probably right Matt but it won't be that cheap which is really why I responded. In the end, if you plan on doing backflips, a pit is great. Most other tricks can be done in progression over larger and larger jumps where you gain real world confidence. Pastrana needs a pit...most of the rest of us would be better spending our loot on new bike parts.

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Whistler has a jump that lands on a big pile of bark. You can ride out landings but its also forgiving if you crash. Just make sure your dressed right or you'll get slivers. Probably the most affordable option too.

Members who have read this thread: 0