Replacing the shock on 04 Big Hit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Replacing the shock on 04 Big Hit

hey guys. i have an 04 big hit comp and i am planing on replacing the shock on it. anybody that has replaced there's have any suggestions? i also heard you can put a little bit bigger shock on there and squeeze out a little more travel. any suggestions would be great.

if it helps i do a lot of freeriding with drops ranging from big to small. i also do the occasional downhill.

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    hey guys. i have an 04 big hit comp and i am planing on replacing the shock on it. anybody that has replaced there's have any suggestions? i also heard you can put a little bit bigger shock on there and squeeze out a little more travel. any suggestions would be great.

if it helps i do a lot of freeriding with drops ranging from big to small. i also do the occasional downhill.
    I will sell you my 4-way...all you had to do was ask! With the heavier spring (400) we discussed this weekend...e-mail me...

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Heres a bit of info..

You don't want a bigger shock, but instead you want the same eye to eye with a longer stroke. You comp comes with a 8.75 i2i with a 2.5 stroke. The Expert with the 8" of travel has a 8.75 i2i, but to increase it's travel the stroke on the shock is 2.75.

So what you want it a shock that has a 8.75 i2i with a 2.75 stroke, which will give you 8.1" of travel. Now as for shock suggestions, all I'm going to say is Fox DHX 5.0. Good luck.

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    You don't want a bigger shock, but instead you want the same eye to eye with a longer stroke. You comp comes with a 8.75 i2i with a 2.5 stroke. The Expert with the 8" of travel has a 8.75 i2i, but to increase it's travel the stroke on the shock is 2.75.

So what you want it a shock that has a 8.75 i2i with a 2.75 stroke, which will give you 8.1" of travel. Now as for shock suggestions, all I'm going to say is Fox DHX 5.0. Good luck.
    Red -

I read somewhere that the resovoir of the DHX will hit the frame of the big hit, when mounted in the down direction? Is that wrong?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by DownHillFast
    Red -

I read somewhere that the resovoir of the DHX will hit the frame of the big hit, when mounted in the down direction? Is that wrong?
    Haven't heard that, but it could be a possibilty. I know there are definitely a few bikes that have fitment issues, so you could be right.

Of course that S*CKS and just puts another nail in the coffin of me keeping my Big Hit. (Insert rant about mass produced bikes)

banned
    Dec 2003
    Haven't heard that, but it could be a possibilty. I know there are definitely a few bikes that have fitment issues, so you could be right.

Of course that S*CKS and just puts another nail in the coffin of me keeping my Big Hit. (Insert rant about mass produced bikes)
    First the Monster, now the Big Hit...what's next? The Kenda's swapped for Maxxis?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    First the Monster, now the Big Hit...what's next? The Kenda's swapped for Maxxis?
    Blasphemy, I would never swap my Kendas for anything. I still have and always will have a Monster, I'm just getting a lighter one an 02. The Big Hit has to go because of the 24 wheel. Can't logically race a 24. So gotta upgrade, of course I'll probably end up with a Demo 8, which still incorporates the main feature I bought my Big Hit for the FSR suspension.

banned
    Dec 2003
    Blasphemy, I would never swap my Kendas for anything. I still have and always will have a Monster, I'm just getting a lighter one an 02. The Big Hit has to go because of the 24 wheel. Can't logically race a 24. So gotta upgrade, of course I'll probably end up with a Demo 8, which still incorporates the main feature I bought my Big Hit for the FSR suspension.
    Well, as long as it's still a spec....what happened to the BETD stays you've been waiting for?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Well, as long as it's still a spec....what happened to the BETD stays you've been waiting for?
    Still waiting although the exchange rate has now pushed the price to @550.00usd. For me thats 1/3 of the price for a new frame. So I'm probably just going to cancel and just get me a Demo8 next year.

mtbr member
    DownHillFast- is this eric?

banned
    Dec 2003
    DownHillFast- is this eric?
    yes Palmer, it is......check your yahoo e-mail

mtbr member
    aight