Replacing Saint outboard bearings...- Mtbr.com
    resident cynic

Replacing Saint outboard bearings...

Has anyone had any experience with getting a new set of bearings for Saint cranks? This is my second season on mine and when I took them off to clean my creaking BB, I noticed quite a bit of grinding in the non-drive side bearing.

I am a big boy, but I ride in mostely dry conditions ...mostely.

Any thoughts?

Meh.
    You can pop them out and pop in Enduro or other brand ceramic bearings. This can be kind of pricey though. It's pretty easy just to replace the bottom bracket. XT and RaceFace DH both work with the Saints. I've had better luck with the Shimanos than the RaceFace ones.

Baba Booey!
    I replaced my XT stock ones with the enduro steel (the non ceramic ones anyway) earlier this season, probably about 5 months ago now, and they have held up much better than stock shimano or raceface. they still roll as if they were brand new and the seals still look good...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Phil Wood makes replacement bearings. They are super smooth and last a long time, not ceramic though. I have a few friends that are using them one is running on them for a few years now and logs a ton of miles. Check em out, not to pricey, around 60 bucks to have them replaced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a season and a half on some Enduro steel bearings ($20), and they are still going strong, riding Whistler and the northWET. Original ones died in under a season. Don't know why anybody would put ceramic bearings on a FR/DH bike.

Glad to Be Alive
    it is so easy a caveman can do it.................

unloosen ....2 bolts on crank.......pull off non drive side crank......then slowly pull driveside off about 2 inches.....take chain off then pull crank all the way off.....take bearings off and replace everything

very easy...20 minutes...if you have right tools
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    I've got a season and a half on some Enduro steel bearings ($20), and they are still going strong, riding Whistler and the northWET. Original ones died in under a season. Don't know why anybody would put ceramic bearings on a FR/DH bike.
    Because ceramic baerings hold up fine as long as there are no lateral loads, like the BB. Pivots are a different story though.

resident cynic
    Right on, thanks I didn't know how prevalent the bearings/cups were.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    Because ceramic baerings hold up fine as long as there are no lateral loads, like the BB. Pivots are a different story though.
    BB bearings take more lateral load than ANY other on the bike consistently. Higher frequency of lateral load on a HS, but more consistently more severe on a BB! (ever land a drop or jump with 1 foot on the crank, 1 off? Bearings and frames do not like this very much!)

wow
    Last edited by Huck Banzai; 08-23-2007 at 03:23 PM.

moaaar shimz
    55 bucks with free shipping some high grade Phil Wood bearings

Red Barn Bicycles call Chad up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    BB bearings take more lateral load than ANY other on the bike consistently. Higher frequency of lateral load on a HS, but more consistently more severe on a BB! (ever land a drop or jump with 1 foot on the crank, 1 off? Bearings and frames do not like this very much!)

wow
    That's what I get for posting hearsay I guess...... but the info was from a shop guy in my defense. Maybe he meant diagonal forces, such as flex. Who knows.
    Anyways, I did a little research and really couldn't find much on what kind of loads ceramic bearings can and can't take. But a few companies are making them for "off road and dirty" conditions.
    Here's what I could find regarding the ceramic vs. steel -
    "Ceramic balls are >60% lighter, >50% stiffer, >70% smoother, and much, much harder than steel balls. Ceramic balls have >100X better rolling contact fatigue life in comparison to Vacuum Melt 52100 Steel."

whistler
    Mar 2004

raceface vs shimano bb

raceface knows their bb's suck (both the rep and engineers are aware) and are working on a solution. they don't seal well. i ride every day on the bc coast (wet) and they last about a month. shimano's have a better seal and last far longer. don't bother replacing bearings because inevitably the seals are worn too. you're better off replacing the whole bb with a shimano (shimano and raceface bb's are interchangable).

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    it is so easy a caveman can do it.................

unloosen ....2 bolts on crank.......
    are you sure you want to unloosen the bolts?
    Trestle Bike Park

Members who have read this thread: 0