Replacement fork for session 7- Mtbr.com
    aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006

New question here. Replacement fork for session 7

On my trek session 7 I have a manitou stance (came with bike) and I have heard very bad things about it. Does this fork really suck that bad. If so, what would be a cheap, used fork I could replace it with. I was wanting something like a 66 or 888, I have found them slightly used for only 400$, which is the max I am willing to spend. I am looking for something in the 165mm - 203mm of travel. I also have a 02 super t, should I put that on instead?
    Thanks in advance
    Freeride is a way of life.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    http://pricepoint.com/detail/13701-315_ROCBR5-3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories/Rockshox-Boxxer-Ride-U-Turn-Suspension-Fork-'05.htm

Glad to Be Alive
    ride it till you have problems then decide what you want....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    it's too stiff and bottoms easy, its a good fork though

Portland, OR
    the stance series are okay. the statics really dont have any problems. but I know thats not the fork you have. is it a stance flow or a stance kingpin ?
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    I had a stance static on my bike for a little while, It was shite.

50/50d a landing and bent the steerer tube pretty bad. You shouldn't have that problem with a twin crown kingpin one, but I don't think it felt very nice either.

I only got half of the travel out of it aswell.

Actually, i think i hate manitou.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffman
    I

Actually, i think i hate manitou.
    welcome to the club
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjumper
    On my trek session 7 I have a manitou stance (came with bike) and I have heard very bad things about it. Does this fork really suck that bad.
    what stance do you have?............my friend just bought a stance flow and the fork is already leaking oil and he hasen't even ridin it yet and i told him "thats what you get for buying a manitou you should have bought a marzocchi "
    Last edited by xKREDx; 12-27-2006 at 10:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    How can you tell what stance it is? Mine doesn't have anything on it except for "Stance". It ia the single crown version however. It sounds like manitou sucks.....

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Lol I am stupid...It is the stance flow with 170 mm of travel

I wish I had...
    Ride it till it breaks.

Portland, OR
    if it is the flow with upgraded travel, then it might be a TPC+ fork. call manitou, they converted my stance static into a sherman jumper. they might be willing to make yours into a breakout.

and for everyone that says manitou sucks, they're wrong...because unlike a few other companies, they will actually fix your fork if you break it.

I am a hard rider, and ride stances like they shouldent be ridden. I used the kingpin up at whistler, and the stance sees a lot of freeride. if you can damage the fork whare I cant, then you're just a sloppy rider and are always going to have problems with forks.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    I would keep the SC on the session. If you put a DC on it it will kill the warranty and it will not ride the same. I've ridden the 77 with a SC and then we tossed a DC on it and I liked the SC on it better. It seemed to ride a litte better and it was wayyy easier to throw around...but thats just me
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

mtbr member
    gemmie a hollar...
    Bikeless Rider

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Wouldn't the sherman have a lot less travel? If it breaks can I get manitou to replace it? WIll they trade mine in for a travis single??

Portland, OR
    Wouldn't the sherman have a lot less travel? If it breaks can I get manitou to replace it? WIll they trade mine in for a travis single??
    if they make it into a sherman then it would be a sherman breakout, not a jumper/firefly/flick. the breakout has 170mm of travel. like if you do something stupid, that results in something like a snapped fork, they arent going to replace it, but if anything goes wrong with the internals or seals or anything that probably wasnt your fault, then yea, they'll fix it. they dont have a trade up program like marzocchi. manitou just kind of tends to give people new forks if theirs doesnt work. like if you messed up your stance, and they couldent really fix it they might just give you a travis single 150.

manitou did that for me. I bought a kingpin, and it was a QR fork. the seals popped out, so I sent it in. it came back, seals popped again, so it went back in. then they sent me a 2006 stance kingpin (20mm through axle) but they didnt have any QR kingpins, just 2005 flows left. so they sent me one of those too. not only did I get a new fork, but I got a second new fork as well.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Now with flavor!!
    Stick the super t on there. It's a better fork.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

MattSavage

Travis 180mm SC...

The only fork you'll ever want again! As a matter of fact, I have an extra one I'd be willing to sell, practically brand new! 9" steerer, TPC+, PM me...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Stick the super t on there. It's a better fork.
    Actually the super t won't fit It is 1 1/8 not 1.5

Portland, OR
    you can get headsets that will reduce your headtube from 1.5 too 1 1/8 but most of them kind of suck and are a lot more touchy than others. but then again, the duel crown fork will void your warrentee. also might be too tall for your bike.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Old No. 7
    Get the E13 reducer cups, then it will fit. How much do you weigh, if I remember you, you're a small dude, so see if you can find a used 66sl, or something of that nature.
    It's kinda funny you asked if a fork YOU ride is crap, if you think it's crap, it's crap, if you don't, it's not... I wouldn't ask people, I'd base my opinion on my own personal experiance, which you seem to have if you're riding it right now.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    I don't care about the waranty. How much is the adapter? Would you recomend it?

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, I am small, 12 years old, 110 lbs, I was asking if the fork was crap because I wouldn't want it to break and hurt me, It is a little stiff and...weird..feeling fore my taste. I also do downhill racing on the smae bike so I want something for freeride and technical downhill.

MattSavage
    Yeah, I am small, 12 years old, 110 lbs, I was asking if the fork was crap because I wouldn't want it to break and hurt me, It is a little stiff and...weird..feeling fore my taste. I also do downhill racing on the smae bike so I want something for freeride and technical downhill.
    Have you tried installing the soft spring?

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    yeah.....I also bottom it out or at least come close to it. I need a progressive fork not a stiff one....

mtbr member
    yeah.....I also bottom it out or at least come close to it. I need a progressive fork not a stiff one....
    how long have you ridden the fork/bike, cuz honestly just ride. if it feels like crap well, then save up for a nice 66 otherwise I wouldnt go with a DC or anything else that will alter the bikes Headtube angle or anything, it comes with that size fork for a reason. If your 12 110 lbs I dobt that you can feel the difference, but mabe you can. Oh well, I guess just save your money up for annother fork

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    That's what I am planning on doing..maybe...I can feel the difference. I have been looking at pinkbike at some 66's and I am waiting for someone to e-mail me back

MattSavage
    That's what I am planning on doing..maybe...I can feel the difference. I have been looking at pinkbike at some 66's and I am waiting for someone to e-mail me back

I'm telling you, save up for the Travis SC. It blows the 66 AWAY!

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Going by what everyone says ( and decline magazine) the 66 is the best single crown out there....Besides the manitou travis has a bad rep in the review section of the web site.

Old No. 7
    Going by what everyone says ( and decline magazine) the 66 is the best single crown out there....Besides the manitou travis has a bad rep in the review section of the web site.
    Bottoming out your fork once and a while isn't a big deal, as long as it's not every other hit and harsh. I don't see how you're fork is too stiff yet you are bottoming it out all the time?
    Anyways, check out the 66SL, not rc2x or VF, the SL would be perfect for you because it's air spring, so it's not going to weigh you down like a coil would, at you're weight a coil isn't needed anyways, plus being only 12 you have a lot of growing to do, and the 66SL can be adjusted to your weight with out the need to swap out springs.

Now with flavor!!

Buy this.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...l+Headset.aspx

It's cheaper than a new fork.

And they don't suck. That's what I've got on my dh bike.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Portland, OR
    Buy this.

no, he needs a headset that will fit a 1.5 headtube.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Portland, OR
    I don't care about the waranty. How much is the adapter? Would you recomend it?
    I've only tryed a few of them out there. but they've all kind of been the same, a little touchy. also they are very heavy. seriously, if you can ... get a 1.5 fork. I just took the 1.5 - 1 1/8 reducer off my bike, the thing must be atleast 3 pounds.

if you're only 110 pounds, then the stance will be absolutly fine. my friend rides his stance really hard (GF kingfisher) the only steerer tube problems that occur in stance forks are with 1 1/8 versions. the 1.5 is very beefy and solved the problem. for what you want to ride, and your weight, the stance is a great fork. as far as it botteming, all forks will bottem out. even if you bought a 66 you'll still be botteming it out every once in a while. the only real bottem out problem you'll have is if your flow is fluid flow dampening, but even then, its a 2005 fork, and back in the day they had virtually eliminated the bottem out problem, the 06 forks have it a little worse.

the fork that came on your bike was designed by manitou for your bike. also designed for the gary fisher bikes, thats it. trek owns GF I believe. so the fork that is on there was really what they designed the bike around. if you wanted to upgrade seriously consider the Sherman breakout. they go for hella cheap, usually low 200 dollars. the breakout was 1.5 only, 170mm and TPC+ dampened. its basically a beefy travis without the problems of the travis. also the breakout will be a good replacement for your bike because it will have the same a-c height as your stance.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Portland, OR
    I disagree ... the totem is. 66's are nice, but way overhyped. thought a had a great fork ...haveing the 66 ...then it broke, left me running a kingpin up at whistler. RS domain/totem/pike are the real SC forks. 66 is nice, just not as nice.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Old No. 7
    Buy this.

You mean this... http://www.e13components.com/product_zerostack.html

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    no, he needs a headset that will fit a 1.5 headtube.
    Read the description and do the math.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    No I meant exactly what I posted because it's cheaper and you only have to buy one part.

MattSavage
    Not everyone says it, I don't say it, and Decline definately isn't the bible of mtn biking. Out of 13 reviews, only 3 were poor, 2 were from the same guy under different names. There is no "best" fork. Totem, Travis, 66, Van, every single one feels totally different from one another, it's a personal preference thing. And each one has it's share of problems.

Hit the demos at your local trails and shops, find one you like. I'd take anybody's word on here with a grain of salt...

mtbr member
    damnnn i wish i could have had something like a session when i was 12...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    I've only tryed a few of them out there. but they've all kind of been the same, a little touchy. also they are very heavy. seriously, if you can ... get a 1.5 fork. I just took the 1.5 - 1 1/8 reducer off my bike, the thing must be atleast 3 pounds.

if you're only 110 pounds, then the stance will be absolutly fine. my friend rides his stance really hard (GF kingfisher) the only steerer tube problems that occur in stance forks are with 1 1/8 versions. the 1.5 is very beefy and solved the problem. for what you want to ride, and your weight, the stance is a great fork. as far as it botteming, all forks will bottem out. even if you bought a 66 you'll still be botteming it out every once in a while. the only real bottem out problem you'll have is if your flow is fluid flow dampening, but even then, its a 2005 fork, and back in the day they had virtually eliminated the bottem out problem, the 06 forks have it a little worse.

the fork that came on your bike was designed by manitou for your bike. also designed for the gary fisher bikes, thats it. trek owns GF I believe. so the fork that is on there was really what they designed the bike around. if you wanted to upgrade seriously consider the Sherman breakout. they go for hella cheap, usually low 200 dollars. the breakout was 1.5 only, 170mm and TPC+ dampened. its basically a beefy travis without the problems of the travis. also the breakout will be a good replacement for your bike because it will have the same a-c height as your stance.
    All I need is the reducer cups for the super t to fit....The super t is actully a half inch shorter than the flow if I was to put it on. I really don't need a SC, a DC gives me a reson for hating x-ups and tail whips
    SO I should ride this fork till it breaks then upgrade or swap? I think I am going to get the headset reducer cups and throw the super t on and leave all you nice people alone so you can go riding!
    Thanks for your help! Any more comments or recomendations are appreciated.
    Will the headset reducer from jensonm fit a canecreek double x?

Portland, OR
    All I need is the reducer cups for the super t to fit....The super t is actully a half inch shorter than the flow if I was to put it on. I really don't need a SC, a DC gives me a reson for hating x-ups and tail whips
    SO I should ride this fork till it breaks then upgrade or swap? I think I am going to get the headset reducer cups and throw the super t on and leave all you nice people alone so you can go riding!
    such a waste of money
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

MattSavage
    No, you have it wrong. If you buy headtube reducers, then you need to buy a new headset as well, a 1 1/8" headset. If you buy a Cane Creek Double XC Flush, you'll have a 1 1/8" headset that fits your 1.5" head tube, and less stack height to fit the shorter steer tube of the Super T. Or you can buy an FSA Pig R, or any of the CC Double XC headsets, but I'd go with the Double xc flush.

MattSavage
    such a waste of money

No way, totally worth it!! (please note sarcasm...) This kid told me he does 8' to flat and 20' road gaps all day!!!! He needs a DC! What he really wants is a 230mm fork!!!

I told him he needs skills, not travel...

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    No way, totally worth it!! (please note sarcasm...) This kid told me he does 8' to flat and 20' road gaps all day!!!! He needs a DC! What he really wants is a 230mm fork!!!

I told him he needs skills, not travel...
    lol that was sarcasm, I really do 8' drops, not always to flat, and I have dpne a 25' road gap, it was not a 25' cliff though, it was a 25' gap. And, yes, I may tend to brag alot, but I do have skill, not to the fullest intent yet, but I do have skill. Why do you think a DC is not necessary? I love my super t, and I wanted to put it on but I never knew about the reducer cups. Do you think the reducer cups don't work, or do you think I do not need them because I don not need a dual crown....Man, where is Dory? He could back me up on this...

V10 Freerider
    The Super T will be MUCH better depending on what you do. I shred on and it is has performed quite well. I also have a Stance on my park bike but would not recommend it for ANYTHING else.
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    THANK YOU!! FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES! I mainly do dirt jumping and 4-10 ft cliffs

MattSavage
    lol that was sarcasm, I really do 8' drops, not always to flat, and I have dpne a 25' road gap, it was not a 25' cliff though, it was a 25' gap. And, yes, I may tend to brag alot, but I do have skill, not to the fullest intent yet, but I do have skill. Why do you think a DC is not necessary? I love my super t, and I wanted to put it on but I never knew about the reducer cups. Do you think the reducer cups don't work, or do you think I do not need them because I don not need a dual crown....Man, where is Dory? He could back me up on this...
    No, I don't think you need a DC. Jordie Lunn, Cam McCaul, Berrecloth... Those guys were doing HUGE gaps and drops on the Sherman Breakouts (almost identical to your Stance, lighter crown and aluminum stancions and different internals, but design and usage philosophy the same) until the Travis came out.

Like we all said, ride it until you break it. In the meantime save up for something newer. Totem, Domain, 66, Travis, they all have a 1.5" option now. If it breaks, see if youcan trade up for a Travis, I've heard tales of such, guys paying like 250 or 300 to upgrade.

You won't find your Super T to be any stiffer than your Stance. The 02's were pretty noodly compared to todays forks, even the single crowns.

MattSavage
    THANK YOU!! FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES! I mainly do dirt jumping and 4-10 ft cliffs
    170mm is way too much travel for an effective park bike...

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    I also do downhill racing, Which is why I would need a softer, more progessive fork, such as the super t, I am using stiffer springs in it and 7.5 wt oil, so it is actually slightly stifffer...

MattSavage
    Delete some of your stored PM's....

Members who have read this thread: 1