Rental bikes @ Diablo worth it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rental bikes @ Diablo worth it?

seems a bit steep for +$100 for a downhill bike for one day, not including the lift ticket. i may wait till my rig is done but i'm dyin to ride...

are the bikes generally in a poor post-rape condition?

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    seems a bit steep for +$100 for a downhill bike for one day, not including the lift ticket. i may wait till my rig is done but i'm dyin to ride...

are the bikes generally in a poor post-rape condition?
    A few of my buddies have gotten rentals from there, the bikes are pretty much in working condition. One of the rentals had a broken saddle that kept "self-adjusting", but other than that I think they worked alright. A hundred bucks a day is pretty much standard for higher end DH mountain bike rentals, that's what they cost at Whistler. Locally, rentals are a bit more expensive at Snowshoe, they send out Kona Stabs for $125 a day, Plattekill's are a little less at $75. Most of these places offer lower priced rentals on other models as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    A few of my buddies have gotten rentals from there, the bikes are pretty much in working condition. One of the rentals had a broken saddle that kept "self-adjusting", but other than that I think they worked alright. A hundred bucks a day is pretty much standard for higher end DH mountain bike rentals, that's what they cost at Whistler. Locally, rentals are a bit more expensive at Snowshoe, they send out Kona Stabs for $125 a day, Plattekill's are a little less at $75. Most of these places offer lower priced rentals on other models as well.

cool thanks...no way in hell i'd use their armor tho...

Is flexy
    The Diablo rentals are in decent shape. As the season goes on the more beat they get. There is also a place right before you get to the mountain called Ridetopia. I think they rent Brodies. Might want to give them a call and get their rates.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

I'm more of a dog person
    go to Ridetopia, i believe he rents at about $75 and his bikes are in MUCH beter condition, ie: they are a bike shop so they actually maintain their bikes. i rented a Sunday from Diablo at the end of last August and it was a total piece of sh!t. bald tires, no rear braking power, broken seat, rear shock would bottom on even the smallest hits, etc. those bikes don't see a wrench all season long. definitely not worth $100+ of my hard earned cash.

Glad to Be Alive
    put your credit card and license dow and "demo" a bike from a local LBS and then bring it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Will to Win
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    put your credit card and license dow and "demo" a bike from a local LBS and then bring it
    Local LBS... hmmmmmmmmm
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    go to Ridetopia, i believe he rents at about $75 and his bikes are in MUCH beter condition, ie: they are a bike shop so they actually maintain their bikes. i rented a Sunday from Diablo at the end of last August and it was a total piece of sh!t. bald tires, no rear braking power, broken seat, rear shock would bottom on even the smallest hits, etc. those bikes don't see a wrench all season long. definitely not worth $100+ of my hard earned cash.
    Wow, I remember the saddle thing but didn't realize it had all those other issues. I think Nate's rental was in decent (IOW, usable) condition, but IIRC he rented earlier in the season than you did.

OP: I'd expect that the rental bikes were all new this year and so at this point only have six or seven weekends worth of riding on them, if I were planning on renting I'd do it now rather than in August.

Also, the rentals seem to be cheaper over at Ridetopia, but if you need armor and a helmet do they come with the rental? Plus you get a (small) discount on a lift ticket when you rent through Diablo. I'm not saying that Ridetopia a bad place to rent (I'm going to check them out when I take my wife up to Diablo), just do the math before you decide.

somewhere in socal
    rented a sunday last summer at diablo and rode the piss out of it. http://www.somewhereinsocal.com/diablo1.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've never rented a bike at diablo, but if you're going to do it, this is a better time in the season than later on. The rental bikes are sunday experts for 110 or 7 points for 90. You get a discount on the lift ticket, and the rental comes with free rentals on helmet, chest protector, elbow pads and knee pads.

No, I don't work for diablo, but I looked all the info up for a friend who was thinking of renting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    good info, I'm gonna be there July 4-5 and will need a 7" travel w/ single crown

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    good info, I'm gonna be there July 4-5 and will need a 7" travel w/ single crown
    Important!!! For the OP also:

RESERVE ONLINE BEFORE YOU GO.

Apparently they do run out of rentals in some sizes on busy weekends.

Go here, then click park info, then bike rentals, then click reservations to see what is and is not available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Important!!! For the OP also:

RESERVE ONLINE BEFORE YOU GO.

Apparently they do run out of rentals in some sizes on busy weekends.

Go here, then click park info, then bike rentals, then click reservations to see what is and is not available.

got it, thanks man.

i can just imagine people ghost riding and abusing the ^*$$ out of those bikes.

SMT, are you serious?

i might just go a full weekend using the competiive cyclist demo if they have any m3'/m6 for demo.....

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Definately go to Ridetopia for good service. You can rent Coves and Kona's besides Brody.
    <Osmi< AVengeR --> - -

mtbr member
    Go to ridetopia.

And also, 100 isn't that steep considering your riding a five THOUSAND piece of equipment without a care (it isn't yours after all) in the world.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicAvenger
    Definately go to Ridetopia for good service. You can rent Coves and Kona's besides Brody.
    Wow, awesome gravedig.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    Wow, awesome gravedig.

Yeah, I think the OP got his "rig done" and no longer needs a rental. Its only been 2 plus years!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman
    Yeah, I think the OP got his "rig done" and no longer needs a rental. Its only been 2 plus years!
    But the info is still good for those of us just looking into rentals for the first time

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iridemtb
    Go to ridetopia.

And also, 100 isn't that steep considering your riding a five THOUSAND piece of equipment without a care (it isn't yours after all) in the world.

I've rented at both and Diablo is definitely the way to go. The bikes are in much better condition, with better parts and more travel. The 'cheaper' bikes at ridetopia are only $10 cheaper than Diablo, but you have to pay full price for a lift ticket. also these bikes are not full-dh bikes, they are 5 or 6" travel bikes. not 8. The full DH bikes at ridetpia cost $125 per day to rent and then you have to buy a lift ticket on topof that.... total for the day is $143, so diablo is actually cheaper and better to rent from.

Members who have read this thread: 0