Removing Rounded-out Bolt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Removing Rounded-out Bolt

I've got a little rounded-out bolt that I need to get out. It's a 2.5mm Hex bolt; it's the pad retainer bolt on Code Brakes. (Long story short, trying to remove pads, was damn careful too while attempting to loosen it, this was super tight, brand new brakes, and I rounded it off.) I tried getting a 3mm in, but too big, and so is anything Imperial. How do I get this sucker out? I've heard of Easy-Out tools, but I can't find any that look small enough to fit in that area, and don't know if they work on allen heads.

I called Sram BTW to see if they could send me the replacement (I didn't buy the brake from a shop; new off ebay) they said no, they can only send them to bikeshops, then I asked for some help, and the guy told me to simply take it to the shop. Big help. So I called the shop out of town to see if they could get one, and they have to call me back because they couldn't find one at the moment, I gave them the Sram part number too. Hopefully they can get it.
    22Pride

Meh.
    Pound in a torx bit. JB-Weld in a 2.5mm allen. Cut a small **** in it with a dremel. Pound in a screwdriver...

What do you expect SRAM to do? Fly out there and extract a bolt for you?

mtbr member
    ^ maybe he was asking sram the same thing he is asking us... not to take it out but how too...

but XSL_Will has the right idea make something fit in there and dont use an easy out that small because they can break easily and then your screwed, more so then you are now

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    As Will said, you have to be creative. Everything he mentioned should work.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

NICE KID...NICE

EZ outs will work...

Because you drill a hole into the screw head itself. The work on any style screw head.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

I walk up hills
    What Will said, if non of that works buy a left handed (reverse) drill bit and drill the sucker out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Pound in a torx bit. JB-Weld in a 2.5mm allen. Cut a small **** in it with a dremel. Pound in a screwdriver...

What do you expect SRAM to do? Fly out there and extract a bolt for you?
    Thanks, I'll try those.

About Sram, I was just seeing if they could maybe throw one in the mail, worth a shot and its alot easier for me. Also, the guy I talked to was not very helpful at all. Pretty much asked me if I had a shop to go to, and told me to take it there. I don't really like going to the shop for every little problem.
    22Pride

Goofing off?
    I have had this happen to me as well. I used a drill and cut into the bolt to make it work and look like a flathead screw. I then used a flathead screwdriver and unscrewed it with relief and pleasure. I then contacted Intense who graciously, free of charge minus shipping, sent me the new bolts. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ya dude you need to get yourself a dermel cut a slot in there and use a flat head, sounds the easiest so far.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Thanks, I'll try those.

About Sram, I was just seeing if they could maybe throw one in the mail, worth a shot and its alot easier for me. Also, the guy I talked to was not very helpful at all. Pretty much asked me if I had a shop to go to, and told me to take it there. I don't really like going to the shop for every little problem.
    You've got to understand that they don't know your mechanical ability and do not want to suggest something to you if there's a chance that you'll screw it up. As for the parts... it depends on the guy, maybe he was having a bad day. Sometimes they'll mail you stuff... but more often than not, they do ask you go to a shop.

mtbr member
    Don't know how tight the area is but you might be able to get a pair of vice grips on there and twist it out.
    Waitin on the weekend

mtbr member
    Pretty much what everyone else said. How do you think us monkeys in bike shops do this stuff? We're not magicians... just more creative in the approach to get the job done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HANKg
    Don't know how tight the area is but you might be able to get a pair of vice grips on there and twist it out.
    Yea vice grips were too big, and needle nose didn't do the trick. I'm gunna give some of the others a go, probably start with the left hand drill bit.
    22Pride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yea vice grips were too big, and needle nose didn't do the trick. I'm gunna give some of the others a go, probably start with the left hand drill bit.
    So you were able to get a pair of needle nose on it? They make needle nose vice grips. I would try this only as a last resort, as I personnaly have not had good luck with vice grips of any sort on stripped bolts. But it is at the very least, another idea.

mtbr member
    They have a reverse style bit thats like a drill on tv. I Think its called an easy out.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    craftsman makes an easy out tool that works pretty good.

mtbr member

100%

Thanks, I'll try those.

I'm with you 100%...I called them for assistance and I got the same reply..."go to a shop."
    I just wanted a little allen head screw for my lever.

So I ask my LBS...and they are too busy to accomodate me with a $0.25 part when they are trying to make $$$ selling complete bikes...which I fully understand.

All the dude had to do was put a screw in an envelope and mail it for $0.40.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2
    I have had this happen to me as well. I used a drill and cut into the bolt to make it work and look like a flathead screw. I then used a flathead screwdriver and unscrewed it with relief and pleasure. I then contacted Intense who graciously, free of charge minus shipping, sent me the new bolts. Good luck.

This is how I get frozen screws out of 60+ year old aircraft all the time. Go down and get a screwdriver that has a place to put a hex wrench on it, and use a wrench for extra leverage. An easy-out also works wonders. http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Out-Piece.../dp/B0002UJNWE
    You will need them again some day. Worth every penny!
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

NICE KID...NICE

Yeah man

EZ out are the sh!t. In my trade, I use them all the time. They come in a verity of size...I even have a set in metric size...from Grainger. If you can get a drill bit on the head off the screw, you drill down through the screw head into the shaft...about 3/16" deep. once you drill the hole, you insert the EZ out into the hole, apply pressure, and turn counter clockwise. The ez outs are reverse threaded, so after it digs in it will un-screw the screw. Should do the trick.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

mtbr member
    That what you get for buying from ebay and not supporting your LBS SUKKAa.

on a nicer note, it looks like you have to be very careful with that bolt when trying to get it out.

Meh.
    With EZ-outs there is a chance that you'll destroy the bolt without being able to extract it. EZ-outs have always been a last resort - in the bike shop and in the garage.

Members who have read this thread: 0