Reign Alternatives- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    358

    Reign Alternatives

    So I bought a Faith a few years back, and besides the weight, I love it. I am looking into the Reign as it is lighter weight and is therefore a bit more pedalable. Are there any other alternatives that I should be looking at? $2500 complete is about my budget, but I wouldn't mind building up a frame from scratch. I am a DHer at heart, but I enjoy technical climbs. The only other bike that I ALMOST am considering is the Nomad, but that is some $$$$. The Kona Coilar Magic Link pedaled really well but the geometry was a bit too XC. Thanks guys.
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

  2. #2
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,362
    if you already have a faith then go with the reign. it will feel the closest.
    i have an intense slopestyle and now i just bought a socom frame to build up. i like having the same company/suspension design for my bikes. makes it easier to transition between them.

    other options would be
    Transition preston
    intense SS (used)
    specialized SX trail

  3. #3
    Bike Hustler
    Reputation: LoozinSkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    822
    just to clear this up a little ... we are talking about a "Reign X" and not a "Reign" here right?

    The maestro system is closest to the DW link in design so I would suggest putting a 7 point on your list too. Alot of love for those bikes coming from 7P owners.

    RS cycles is basically giving them away and with a 2500 budget you could order one and have $$ left over to upgrade any stock components that you dont jive with and ebay the take offs for a more than comfortable budget situation.
    SHAM-WOW

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    227

    SC Heckler

    The heckler pedals great (not as good as a nomad, but still will get you up the hill) and can bomb the downhills. It is also a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to service then the nomad.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by LoozinSkin
    just to clear this up a little ... we are talking about a "Reign X" and not a "Reign" here right?

    The maestro system is closest to the DW link in design so I would suggest putting a 7 point on your list too. Alot of love for those bikes coming from 7P owners.

    RS cycles is basically giving them away and with a 2500 budget you could order one and have $$ left over to upgrade any stock components that you dont jive with and ebay the take offs for a more than comfortable budget situation.
    Yes, you are correct about it being a Reign X.
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwat
    The heckler pedals great (not as good as a nomad, but still will get you up the hill) and can bomb the downhills. It is also a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to service then the nomad.
    The HT angle is a it steeper on the Heckler and has a bit less travel- that's why I chose the Nomad instead of the Heckler.

    The SX Trail is ridiculous. I can buy a complete Reign X1 for the price of an SX frame.
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

  7. #7
    Bike Hustler
    Reputation: LoozinSkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker0755
    The HT angle is a it steeper on the Heckler and has a bit less travel- that's why I chose the Nomad instead of the Heckler.

    The SX Trail is ridiculous. I can buy a complete Reign X1 for the price of an SX frame.

    ...you could also pick up an SX used or a reign X used for about the same price
    SHAM-WOW

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker0755
    The HT angle is a it steeper on the Heckler and has a bit less travel- that's why I chose the Nomad instead of the Heckler.

    The SX Trail is ridiculous. I can buy a complete Reign X1 for the price of an SX frame.
    errrrr.... a nomad frame is about the same if not MORE expensive then an SX Trail....

    I must be missing something here

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    errrrr.... a nomad frame is about the same if not MORE expensive then an SX Trail....

    I must be missing something here
    If you saw the OP, I said that I ALMOST considered it. But didn't because of the price. As a matter of fact, I don't think I would ever buy SC because of their high prices. I am happy with Giant, but I am not sure if anyone else has had experience on any other bikes similar to what I am looking for.
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    I've been riding a Reign X for a little while now and it is a fabulous handling bike for a downhiller/freerider to use as a trail bike or even a slopestyle type playbike. It climbs easily and has fantastic geometry for descending and cornering at speed with it's low (13.5!) BB and slackish (67) head angle. They're very competatively priced as well.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I've been riding a Reign X for a little while now and it is a fabulous handling bike for a downhiller/freerider to use as a trail bike or even a slopestyle type playbike. It climbs easily and has fantastic geometry for descending and cornering at speed with it's low (13.5!) BB and slackish (67) head angle. They're very competatively priced as well.
    When you got it, what else did you look at and why did you choose the Reign?
    Last edited by mtnbiker0755; 12-01-2008 at 08:03 PM.
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    I work at a shop that sells Giant, i have had probably 30 mtn bikes over the last 15 years. Giant hooked me up with a frame to use for a while, i was curious about the Maestro stuff and how a Giant would build from the frame up. For sure it's a high production frame. The finish is not what higher end bike companies would offer but it built up just fine, everything fit well and clearances, pivots, alignment is great.

    Honestly i thought i would ride it a while, then go back to my Turner RFX which i love. However the raw performance of the Reign X just blew me away!!! Most importantly it has the geometry i was looking for. I was looking for a more DHable mid travel all arounder. The X simply rips techy descents and is comfortable and predictable when hitting scetchy jumps and lines. It is heavier but not overly heavy (8lb frame) to use for longer rides. It's not necessarily an all day trailbike like the light and quick RFX is but i have had no trouble using it for long climbs.

    Now, when, and if i can pull the $$$ together the DWlink Turner RFX will be the bike to have but until then the Reign X will do just fine!

    Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  13. #13
    Ricky DH
    Reputation: rep_1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,249
    I've got a brand-new, never built, size medium Canfield Can-Diggle with a DHX 5.0 that
    I'll let go for 1,750.00 shipped if you're interested.

    They go for 2,275.00 originally.

  14. #14
    Woodlot local
    Reputation: BobRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494
    Banshee Rune

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRocket
    Banshee Rune
    Looks sick for sure! But it's still a bit expensive compared to the Reign Xs I'm looking at.
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

  16. #16
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,726
    Iron Horse 7point or 6point(can mod to 7" travel with no Geo changes)
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    358
    IH is def sick, but I wonder how hard it will be to get parts now that they are going all cheap-o and sh!t
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

  18. #18
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,726
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker0755
    IH is def sick, but I wonder how hard it will be to get parts now that they are going all cheap-o and sh!t
    Not hard at all.
    And what parts could you possibly be talking about? Linkages? You can still get them.
    Derailleur hangers? No problem.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Not hard at all.
    And what parts could you possibly be talking about? Linkages? You can still get them.
    Derailleur hangers? No problem.
    Der hangers, linkages, and bearings... How long will I be able to get them? Because if i get one now, I prob won't need to rebuild the rear end for about a year, how long do they plan on producing parts for their higher end models?
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.