Red Bull Rampage, Turner Highline, and More- Mtbr.com
    Fartographer

Red Bull Rampage, Turner Highline, and More

I just got back from a two week road trip that started at the 2004 Red Bull Rampage and then continued to Moab and Fruita. This photo is of Cedric Gracia, in his Captain America costume, right before he stuffed it in Sunday morning's Red Bull Rampage practice. I was told that he broke his shoulder, ruptured his spleen, and had some other internal injury. He was taken by ambulance to Mesquite. NV and then airlifted to Las Vegas where he had to wait in the ER for gang fight casualities to be treated. I'm sure that was new for him. But he's going to be ok and I believe he's home now.

Here's a link to our Red Bull Rampage gallery: http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php?cat=577
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Fartographer

Nate McKay and Turner Highline

Moab local, Nate McKay, took me out to a super-secret location near Moab for some photos with the new Turner Highline. As far as I know, this is the only finished Turner Highline in existence. Dave Turner gave it to Dave from Slickrock Cycles in Moab, after Interbike. So Nate and I took it out for some abuse. This location was totally retarded. I don't feel like my photos even come close to doing it justice. The only people who've ridden the big bowl are Nate, and Lance Canfield, who scouted it out. I was scared just walking around on the rocks above it. When Nate first dropped in, I about shat myself.

Last, but not least, here's a link to a complete vacation report on my site: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=6552

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    what makes it even crazier is that its all rock, so if you fall you know bones are gonna be broken and its in the middle of nowhere, those guys have some balls!!

Jan 2004
    Does Nate usually ride a Foes Fly ?

He looks like a guy I met at Final Descent...

Fartographer

Word

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    Does Nate usually ride a Foes Fly ?
    That would be him. The Foes Fly is his own bike. The Turner was just a test and for the pictures. He said he liked it a lot, though.

Xtremely Moderate
    As usual those shots are titties and beer.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

"Its All Good"
    Awesome shots, superb terrain......... Some are almost 3D, and i'm not on drugs....the shots rock....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Removed at birth
    Did Nate used to work for Kaibab cyclery there in town? I think I rode with him about 3 years ago. He used to ride a Kona Stab. He is one badass rider!
    Peace out! War In!

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Thanks for posting these! Awesome pics!
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

Jan 2004
    Oh, he must be the guy who wears the cape at all the MSC races!

More Chasmism

Incredible Shots, PhotoJohn

That shot of Nate McKay in the shadowy bowl is the best Moab pic I've ever seen.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Those pictures are... simply beautiful. Brings us back to the very defnition of mountain biking.

mtbr member

Nice!

Photo John,

Gorgeous pics! We met briefly at iBike when Larry (Ventanarama), Philip (tscheezy), and I at breakfast with you and Gregg at the hotel on Friday, the last day of the show. You'll have to let me know next time you're around St. George and we'll go for a ride. I was even at Red Bull but I guess you went unnoticed. FWIW the mountain in your photo of "about 15 miles from Zion National Park" is of Pine Valley Mountain and the river is more than likely the Virgin River which flows through Zion NP. Anyway, look me up next time you're around.

Take it easy,
    Ron

Aug 2004
    Man, how do you take such great pictures? I have a decent Nikon coolpix 5700 digital camera that I lug with me on rides and my pictures still suck. I'm like the blurry photo king. Is the secret to use a regular film camera, NOT digital?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Moab local, Nate McKay, took me out to a super-secret location near Moab for some photos with the new Turner Highline. As far as I know, this is the only finished Turner Highline in existence. Dave Turner gave it to Dave from Slickrock Cycles in Moab, after Interbike. So Nate and I took it out for some abuse. This location was totally retarded. I don't feel like my photos even come close to doing it justice. The only people who've ridden the big bowl are Nate, and Lance Canfield, who scouted it out. I was scared just walking around on the rocks above it. When Nate first dropped in, I about shat myself.

Last, but not least, here's a link to a complete vacation report on my site: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=6552

Fartographer

Practice

Quote Originally Posted by ExSocalMtbr
    Man, how do you take such great pictures? I have a decent Nikon coolpix 5700 digital camera that I lug with me on rides and my pictures still suck. I'm like the blurry photo king. Is the secret to use a regular film camera, NOT digital?
    Just like riding - practice, practice, practice. I've been shooting all digital for the past couple of years and I like digital better than film. But the good stuff costs thousands. Still, I think I can get a good photo with almost any camera. It's all about really seeing what's in front of you, and knowing your equipment. You have to know exactly how your camera works and don't expect it to do anything it can't do. Check out the sports photography forum on my site and also take a look at the "Point-and-Shoot Techniques" article. Your camera is basically a point-and-shoot with lots of extra features. Here's a link to that article: http://www.photographyreview.com/Learn^lessons^pandscrx.aspx

It's probably about time for me to write a new article, specifically for shooting sports with compact digital cameras. Pre-focus and panning are the keys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

pics

Quote Originally Posted by ExSocalMtbr
    socal,

you can get good photos with digital. make sure you are holding the camera steady.....camera shake = blur. some digital point and shoots have a delay after you press the shutter, so keep it still and stable for a second after you think it has taken the picture. also make sure your shutter speed is 1/60 or faster if you are hand holding your camera. also, make sure you are focusing on your subject. finally, watch out for lens flare (light flaring into your lens from direct sunlight) ---it will compromise your contrast and color saturation......the 5700 is a pretty cool camera. if you want better quality, go for an slr. i hope this helps a little........cheers

Canfield Brothers

Photo John- Lance Canfield here.
    That is one of the coolest places I have ever found/been too! Question, I'm wondering if you shot the wall ride there? It's something like 50 foot high with a solution pocket on the wall below where the rider would go. TJ and I rode it the first time we went there with bikes. I would love to see a shot of it if you have one. PM me if you don't want to give it up, I know it's a magazine cover just waiting to happen.
    Post more if you can.
    cheers

BJ-

Jan 2004
    wow dude...

mtbr member

Oh dear God....

Those are some of the sweetest lookin pics I've seen in awhile PJ...nice work! That bowl shot is just amazing...3D like

Wanna see more of that Highline! One of the bikes I'm thinking about replacing my
    ElsWorthless ID with
    "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

Xtremely Moderate
    Whoa..............(speechless)
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    wow.... those are some nice pics.

Apr 2004
    I just got back from a two week road trip that started at the 2004 Red Bull Rampage and then continued to Moab and Fruita. This photo is of Cedric Gracia, in his Captain America costume, right before he stuffed it in Sunday morning's Red Bull Rampage practice. I was told that he broke his shoulder, ruptured his spleen, and had some other internal injury. He was taken by ambulance to Mesquite. NV and then airlifted to Las Vegas where he had to wait in the ER for gang fight casualities to be treated. I'm sure that was new for him. But he's going to be ok and I believe he's home now.

Here's a link to our Red Bull Rampage gallery: http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php?cat=577
    I'm not a good photographer like PhotoJohn and didn't have a close-up view like folks with a press-pass.

Here's Captain America's landing. I'll always remember his words as he lay on the ground with the medics around him "Captian America Can Not Have a Broken Shoulder!".

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    wow
    wonderfull crash !!
    i heard about it but didn't see pics yet...

Members who have read this thread: 0