Red, Black and Dope all over...- Mtbr.com
    Is flexy

Red, Black and Dope all over... (Updated with complete pics 10/2)

Just two teasers for now. It will be done Friday hopefully. Every step of this build has been a total hassle. Been off the bike for about 2 months with an injury, get the Docs ok Friday.

- Fork re-build turned in to needing a new part for the damper and a cracked ti spring in my 40, tack on and extra 350 and settling for a steel spring. Parts 2day aired from Fox to NC, should get there this am, fork gets tuned and put back together today and sent out. If ups doesn't eff up it should be here friday night so I can ride Sat.
    - My sweet manitou ti spring I had was too long by about 3mm, tack on another 180
    - BTI and QBP out of the raceface 83mm bb conversion kit, ordered online but ended up being back ordered. Got it yesterday after a 2 week wait.
    - Headset cups Specialized put in were wierd and they couldn't tell me what bearings worked. 36x45 didn't work correctly and 45x45 didn't even fit in the cups. Pressed them out and luckily had e-13 cups laying around.
    - Rear spacing made the chainguide really far from the iscg tabs, bolts were too short so needed and iscg adaptor flipped, got one from a friend, it was iscg 05, I needed old. Tack on and extra 45 to overnight one to get it here by Friday.
    - Ordered Funn RSX MKII since it had ti hardware and was machined to be much lighter thant the regular RSX, they sent me the old one anyway and don't feel like waiting for a exchange and missing a ride, 60 grams isn't that important.

Last edited by njhcx4xlife; 10-02-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

dontcha?
    i hafta say the red is way brighter in person.. def. diggin' it.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I hate the frustration for ya, I think we have all been there. That looks like the same paint job as Sam and Brendans Schladming bikes except red instead of green, I like it Hope you get to ride Saturday. I too have been having a ***** of a time getting my bike ready to ride for this weekend, I just paid $80 bucks to have a Boxxer rebuild kit and rear shock mounting hardware overnighted. The mounting hardware won't even be the right size, everywhere that stocked the correct size was out, including BTI and QBP, so i ordered a size bigger and am having to machine it down to the correct length. If UPS doesn't screw it up it should be here today. I'm going to have my LBS do the fork rebuild, lets hope they don't run into any problems like yours

Glad to Be Alive
    Man love those colors
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Three Wheeler Expert
    looks so freakin sick already!!! good job.
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    only a demo, move along nothing to see
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    The Red and White 08 D81 was already hot...now this! Too bad Sam didn't win it this year.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Vert
    The Red and White 08 D81 was already hot...now this! Too bad Sam didn't win it this year.
    maybe i'm missing something but i thought he did win it this year

mtbr member
    maybe demos are just lost on me but in my eyes they are just a over marketed mass-produced bike that ill never own nor take an interest in.
    ]

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    maybe demos are just lost on me but in my eyes they are just a over marketed mass-produced bike that ill never own nor take an interest in.
    dude, really? What bike isn't over-marketed? and what bike is not made in Asia (I'm guessing that's what you mean by "mass-produced") these days? Not everyone can afford a hand-made bike that is only slightly marketed.. I'd be interested to know what you ride..

EDIT: Just realized you from UK, Demo is probably way more expensive over there..
    Last edited by captain spaulding; 09-30-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Is flexy
    Hold on, I think I have a box of dicks for you to eat somewhere. Let me find them.

All bikes are mass produced for the most part. Atleast we know anything made in a big factory sucks. I guess they got me with their marketing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I thought everyone knew that he races DH on a 5.5" travel Orange with a 2010 boxxer lowered to 178 mm.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    I thought everyone knew that he races DH on a 5.5" travel Orange with a 2010 boxxer lowered to 178 mm.
    I thought it was just a fancy screen name.. he actually rides a boxxer? no way..

mtbr member
    fail
    ]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantil3v3r
    Peaty won the WC Championships this year. Much props but I was pullin' for Sam & Spesh.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

check your six
    Captian Stoke-Killer...... lol... The man is stoked for his new rig, he doesn't need someone bashing it on his own thread... c'mon now...

ohh.. sick bike man! I am looking forward to the full build shot.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

dontcha?
    bxxer rider's Bike Setup:
    orange patriot 2002 frame.
    fox vanilla rc 2005, 450bl steel spring
    rock shox boxxer ride forks 2005
    alixrims Dm24 rims
    hope m4 (old style) brakes
    hope pro II hubs
    xt dure drive train set up
    pwned..

mtbr member
    thank you for reminding me, need to up date that
    ]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    only a demo, move along nothing to see
    At least it has fork with more than 178mm of travel.
    Last edited by CountryBoy; 10-01-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    At least it has forks with more than 178mm of travel.
    Sadly I only had enough money to go with a fork on this one, money was too tight for forks. Those guys in the UK must be made of money.

Lets leave Bxxr Rider alone. Unlike him, I don't like killing peoples stoke. Even if they are a douche.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    sick. demo is definitely on the short list for my new frame next season. test rode an 08 demo and loved it. looking forward to a ride report after saturday ;-)

FYI, if you feel like saving a lil money, i have an older Funn RSX 25.4mm sitting around doing nothing if you want it for free. i got no use for it.

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    sick. demo is definitely on the short list for my new frame next season. test rode an 08 demo and loved it. looking forward to a ride report after saturday ;-)

FYI, if you feel like saving a lil money, i have an older Funn RSX 25.4mm sitting around doing nothing if you want it for free. i got no use for it.
    Thanks dude, I really appreciate the offer but have OS bars and am just going to use the stem they sent me. Sucks but at this point I just want to ride. I'll post a ride report for sure and if Spaulding brings his camera (hint hint) I'll have some action shots. Will be the first ride in 2 months on a hand that still hurts on occasion, at a mtn I've never been to on a bike I've never rode before, and they are calling for rain. Should make for an interesting Saturday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's an incredible looking frame! Just seeing it makes me want to ride. Have fun riding it this weekend and let us know what you think of it.

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    For those of you who can't resist the urge to see it built up, head over to the Spec Demo Thread. Jut8 has recently built his up and it's a magnificent bike.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1513350&page=10 (Towards the bottom of the page.)
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

StraightOuttaCompton
    dude, thats a super sick bike. i saw one at northstar. they look soo sick!
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Nucking Futs
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    Sadly I only had enough money to go with a fork on this one, money was too tight for forks. Those guys in the UK must be made of money.

Lets leave Bxxr Rider alone. Unlike him, I don't like killing peoples stoke. Even if they are a douche.
    Or you can see it in a different perspective, if you can't take critisism don't bother posting anything on the internet, there is no written law that you must be positive about other peoples ride's. If you don't like a bike you should be able to make a post about it(while being reasonable ofcourse, not flaming it to hell) without being counterflamed by fanboy's.

For me I don't like the big S nor could give a crap about their ugly hydroforming. What matters most is that the TS does and will love the ride, which i'm sure he will.
    Amplify Your Žide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

FReak
    Man I cannot wait to get mine! SHould be here in 4-5 weeks. Congrats on the build, it's looking great already.
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck
    Or you can see it in a different perspective, if you can't take critisism don't bother posting anything on the internet, there is no written law that you must be positive about other peoples ride's. If you don't like a bike you should be able to make a post about it(while being reasonable ofcourse, not flaming it to hell) without being counterflamed by fanboy's.

For me I don't like the big S nor could give a crap about their ugly hydroforming. What matters most is that the TS does and will love the ride, which i'm sure he will.
    Easy there Hoss. I love criticism, criticize away. I was making a joke about "forks" and telling people to leave him alone since he has a right to his opinion as well. I'm sure he loves he is bike which is great. I'm glad you don't like it either, I hope you hate it. Either way your made a valid statement that you don't like the look which is cool by me. He was talking out of his pie hole with the "over-marketed, mass produced blah blah". Advertising and marketing really is stupid and unless a frame isn't a handmade boutique frame where they make 5 a year and you need to now the builders brother and suck off his cousin to get one then it isn't cool. Makes sense to me. Whats a "TS"?

mtbr member
    OK people, we really need to let the 178mm boxxer thing die

It was funny the first time, hilarious the second time, now its just plain stupid...

To the OP, sick looking demo! Make sure you post up pics when shes done!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

clearly you havent read many of bxxer rider's posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R

It was funny the first time, hilarious the second time, now its just plain stupid...

To the OP, sick looking demo! Make sure you post up pics when shes done!
    normally id agree, but a stupid comment deserves a stupid response

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Didn't the Misfits write a song about that?

We are 178, we are 178, we are 178
    We are 178, we are 178
    In the eyes of tiger

Do you think were robot clean
    Does this face look almost mean
    Is it time to be an android not a man

The pleasantries are gone
    Were stripped of all we were
    In the eyes of tiger

8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8
    8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8

Nucking Futs
    Whats a "TS"?
    Sorry didn't realize you are the topic starter
    Amplify Your Žide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

Is flexy
    Sorry didn't realize you are the topic starter
    Got ya. Thought you were calling me a tranny or something. Haha.

mtbr member
    this man talks sense, glad to see i am not the only one that shows a disliking for specialized.

in case some of you have not noticed i have been trying to separate my self from those days on constant flaming, please take note that i have moved on and i ask you all to do so as well.
    ]

AKA shitbird
    Too bad Sam didn't win it this year.

Peaty won the WC Championships this year. Much props but I was pullin' for Sam & Spesh.
    Peaty won the World Championship. Hill won the overall 2009 World Cup in the point standing.
    JRA

Is flexy

It all came together finally.

Fork: SEx tuned 40 w/ Risse top crown
    Shock: RC4 w/ Ti spring
    Cranks: Raceface Atlas FR
    Wheels: Hopes, 823s, DT Champions
    Bars: Spank Spike Polished
    Brakes: While Elixir CRs
    Stem: Funn RSX
    Shifter: Saint
    Rear Der: Saint
    Chain: KMC SL Gold
    Guide SRS+
    Chainring: E13
    Tires: Continental Der Kaiser 2.5

Came in a nut hair under 40 at the shop with the steel spring in the 40. Still waiting for a Ti spring for the fork since I cracked mine. Big thanks to Suspension Experts in NC for 2 daying the parts for my fork from Fox no charge and getting this thing back to me for the weekend.

Compared to my Gran Mal this thing is longer and lower and I kept clipping a pedal while pedaling through turns in the parking lot. There is definitely going to be some getting used to with this thing. Yuroshek is on his way over so beers tonight we are checking out Blue Mtn in PA tomorrow. Pics, hopefully video and a ride report will be in order tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Holy sh*t that thing looks so sick!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    good looking build

mtbr member
    May 2009
    nice looks really good what kind of warranty did you get with it

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I bet you'll like the Kaisers. Good tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    I thought there'd be more colour-matching going on than that, but still... Good job on the build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    long really? when i rode one, it felt pretty short. im on an R9 though so maybe thats why.

looks sick though

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    specialized got me with their overmarketing. the demo 1 for 3700 looks promising only worried about bb height so a ride report from you will be good to hear. nice ride, thanks for the info!

7MGTE
    Came in a nut hair under 40 at the shop with the steel spring in the 40. Still waiting for a Ti spring for the fork since I cracked mine. Big thanks to Suspension Experts in NC for 2 daying the parts for my fork from Fox no charge and getting this thing back to me for the weekend.

Compared to my Gran Mal this thing is longer and lower and I kept clipping a pedal while pedaling through turns in the parking lot. There is definitely going to be some getting used to with this thing. Yuroshek is on his way over so beers tonight we are checking out Blue Mtn in PA tomorrow. Pics, hopefully video and a ride report will be in order tomorrow.
    Awesome bike man How long are your cranks?

Is flexy
    Running 165s and clipped a pedal quite a few times today but that is just going to take some getting used to. Compared to my Gran Mal this thing kills turns. Really impressed so far but need more time on it. It was super greasy at Blue today but the Kaisers had a real predictable drift. My hand was killing me most of the day and I ripped a 2" gash in my tire so ended the day a little early. Looking forward to Diablo tomorrow on some trails I have wired.

mtbr member
    Is that a 2010?

FReak
    yeah that's a 2010
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

Just Ride.
    Looks very nice mate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    I thought there'd be more colour-matching going on than that, but still... Good job on the build.

I think it looks legit - people are color matching too much these days.. This looks good.

EastBaySteez
    I got a golddd chainn

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfNluQ888g4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfNluQ888g4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

ready to ride
    wow
    N* = <3 <3]

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I got a golddd chainn

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfNluQ888g4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfNluQ888g4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Best post in the thread. Had that CD on the shuffle for todays ride.

Other than the flat yesterday I've decided Kaisers are sick. Really liking them so far. The bike corners like a dream but I still can't jump it well for ****. Need to get used to that now. The RC4 kills the Pushed Roco I had before and bumping up to the green spring in the fork even though I'm 170 might have been a good move. I still can't get the last 1.5" or so of travel but it bombs through the rough so much better now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    more like black and red and gay all over, god demo's are sooooooo lame.

just kidding, i'm jealous cause i just sold mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sweet lookin ride! Neko Mulally won the Whiteface 5K on a Demo back in August. Drag that bike up to Whiteface for their closing weekend, I'd like to check it out. (Quick plug for my buddy Downhill Mike - Whiteface is open this Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon). I'll be there at least 3 of those days riding my Kumicho - now theres a bike everyone can hate on!

mtbr member
    How was the BB height at Diablo? I am considering this bike but need a few ride reports from Diablo to make sure its good in the rocks

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    How was the BB height at Diablo? I am considering this bike but need a few ride reports from Diablo to make sure its good in the rocks

Not bad but noticeably lower than my Gran Mal. I would say it is more of something to get used to than something that is going to hinder your performance. I have heard people say demos feel like you are "in the bike" through hard turns and I can see that. It sticks like glue and truly feels like you are low in the bike when laying it over if that makes sense. I'll take having to change up my pedaling a bit as a trade of for all the other positives for sure. I won't be at Diablo this weekend, heading to I-bike and Highland but I'll be there for the last race and Diabloween if you want to take it for a spin. (that is if you are close to the same weight as me)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i know you probaly already wrote this but, what size was you gran mal ( i always found it funny a bike company would give the name of a type of seziure to a frame) and what size is your demo
    ps i was born in rockaway, is diablo close?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i know you probaly already wrote this but, what size was you gran mal ( i always found it funny a bike company would give the name of a type of seziure to a frame) and what size is your demo

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by mike like bikes

Gran Mal was a regular, Demo is a small. The Demo is about a half inch longer on top tube, wheelbase is about a half inch longer but the standover on the Demo is 3 inches lower so the bike fits me and my short legs much better.

Not too familiar with Rockaway but don't think it is that far. Not close but not that far either.

Members who have read this thread: 0