recommended bell so I don't flatten hikers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

recommended bell so I don't flatten hikers

Problem is when i search for anything related to biking and bell, it comes up with those stupid helmets from bell

lately ive almost flattened a few hikers so i need something to make noise to warn them, whats the best lightweight noise making device to stick onto my backpack or bike

Life Is Short
    I bought one of these. Sure it looks retarded but yelling & whistling is stupid too.
    The beep isn't as obnoxious as a bell but louder. You may have to modify it to
    fit on a 31.8 handlebar but if you know how to cut, fix, install a chain its nothing. Good luck

Bicycle HORN. Length 10". Goes on handlebar. | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2011
    **** me id rather flatten a hiker than have that on my bike

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    We have alot of conflict around my local trail with horse riders and bikers... I used an REI $4 bear bell, comes with a bag to slip over the bell to silence it (has a magnet in the bag). But the bag was not useable while riding so I cut it off and replaced it with a neo magnet (cheap at Michael's), which I can easily slide up for "on" and down for "off". I got a small cowbell for a while but I think it's kind of obnoxious in the rough, so I'm switching back to the bear bell. With the bear bell I've come up on horse riders and hikers who were already off the trail to let me go by, and actually thanked me for using the bell!
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just yell "F*CK!NG STRAVA!!!" the whole way down. Serious shredders gotta be smashing KOM's 24/7
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    Just yell "F*CK!NG STRAVA!!!" the whole way down. Serious shredders gotta be smashing KOM's 24/7
    I withdraw my recommendation... This is perfect, lol

mtbr member
    May 2011
    bear bell sounds like good idea, thx

Coghlan's Bear Bell with Magnetic Silencer at REI.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    bear bell sounds like good idea, thx

Coghlan's Bear Bell with Magnetic Silencer at REI.com
    And as a bonus, it sounds like christmas everytime you come down the hill!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    And as a bonus, it sounds like christmas everytime you come down the hill!
    Good, I'm going to build a jump run that if run at correct speed and with right amount of pump, rings out jingle bells tune from the bell on bike

mtbr member
    Yelling works. Bells are for little girls with training wheels
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

Picture Unrelated
    Pedestrians have the right of way, you stop for them.

These are small and loud though:
    mirrycle.com: incredibell brass solo
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

PMarsh Thumbs Up!

I'm trying to get a KOM!!!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    more cowbell!

9 lives
    I think bells work

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k7oGk-ozhKI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or just yell
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Pivotal figure
    I got one of these from the guys at Decline and it's perfect for alerting people in an unobtrusive way. I attach it to my pack with a carabiner and the bumps from riding just let it clang along without me doing anything. I've had well over 50 hikers thank me for using this thing. btw Mine is the small version....
    Cowbells.com &mdash; MORE Cowbells!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member

Smile

Cowbell
    Take your pick

@trailgrinder
    Bear bell works great, I just scream like an idiot, then if thier is a confrontation thy already know I am missing a few screws. I really do need to improve my notification system, thanks for the ideas

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Pedestrians have the right of way, you stop for them.

These are small and loud though:
    mirrycle.com: incredibell brass solo
    nah

I jam this max volume in my ears when I'm coming down the trails

Ludacris - Move ***** (Get Out the Way) - YouTube

my fun has a hurting
    this might be the best thing anyone has ever typed on mtbr

also: Bells - Accessories

mtbr member
    I was just wondering about this this weekend for the local bike park, not for animals but for people who WILL NOT get out of your way. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems like ringing an old school thumb actuated bike bell while your a foot from their rear tire for a few hundred yards might get the point across.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    you could try getting an airzound, its super loud....

google airzound.

Picture Unrelated
    nah

I jam this max volume in my ears when I'm coming down the trails

Ludacris - Move ***** (Get Out the Way) - YouTube
    You're doing it wrong, you need to get a boombox and rock it for the trail users.

Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Huffy Rider
    I use a small incredibell. Funny thing is, more often then not, the stupid hikers hear the bell and look down at their shoes????? Really????

mtbr member
    May 2011
    they ashamed they hiking instead of riding

RideDirt

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've found that descending the local 14er, lots of hikers, a small bell velcroed to the handlebars works awesome. It's constantly ringing and a little annoying at first. Well worth it when you come around a corner and the hikers are already standing to the side. Doesn't have to be big or very loud. It does however, need to be on the front of the bike.

mtbr member
    this is epic

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I feel stupid. It never struck me why some people had bells on their bike. I figured it was for luck, like some motorcycle riders do. Warning hikers/horses makes more sense!

mtbr member
    I dont like bells. Nobody ever hears them until it is far too late, and they quickly jump to whatever random side their brain tells them to do. It is always the side i am approaching them on. In light of that fact, I very loudly sing romantic hit songs from Roy Orbison, the Righteous Brothers, or that If You Like Pina Colada song. Seems to get a less panicky reaponse.

Yes i know he rides bicycles... But can he croon? Goulet.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Life Is Short
    **** me id rather flatten a hiker than have that on my bike
    really? is it even stupider looking than a guy wearing armor, full finger gloves, a full face helmet, goggles and NOT riding a motocross bike?

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    really? is it even stupider looking than a guy wearing armor, full finger gloves, a full face helmet, goggles and NOT riding a motocross bike?
    Thanks, I just spit milk out of my nose all over my keyboard!

www.derbyrims.com
    "Incredibell" about $9. Handlebar mounted, easy reach. One ding per hit. Nice ring.

It's saved a few hikers around blind corners when I'm riding fast downhill. And saved me from downhill riders while I'm climbing on local two way blind corner singletrack. It's spooky riding that popular singletrack without it. Yelling is lame and not so easy to hear.

Everyone smiles when my bike goes "bing".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well, when you read and see all the wipeouts here that include concussions, cracked ribs, punctured lungs, broken arms and collarbones, and these are all people IN full armor, then what? (myself included for some broken stuff)

how do you justify that?

you think they stripped naked before the fall and then put the **** back on? because apparently the gear is just overkill.

oh wait, i got the solution, we need to all be as tough as you

show us a video of you riding down your favorite downhill trail barefoot in a friggn speedo tough guy....... because you don't need any gear. I'm waiting.

mtbr member
    I'm actually curious as to how far the good old Baseball card strapped so it hits the spokes would be heard from.

In all honesty, maybe the bell strapped to the bike so it's automatically ringing wouldn't be too bad of an idea. That way you don't have to consciously keep ringing it.

That, and have a sign put on some of the trails, way markers, and such that says something like :'Hey, if it sounds like Christmas is coming, a biker is approaching."
    2009 Mongoose Teocali Comp

mtbr member
    I mounted an incredibell to my brake lever. Easy to flick with my index finger when coming into corners, etc. I didnt like having it on the bars and taking my thumb out from under the bars to ding it.

Works pretty good. Added bonus is that if I come around a corner and see a hiker, I grab a handful of brakes and usually clip the bell as well -- makes it seem like I am giving a hiker an angry "DING!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    btw I read your post about food at mammoth being disgusting a few weeks ago somewhere on here, that is absolutely true. It's really really gross food. I just buy stuff at vons and cook it myself as I have given up on food at mammoth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

show us a video of you riding down your favorite downhill trail barefoot in a friggn speedo tough guy....... because you don't need any gear. I'm waiting.
    are you really waiting ????

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    if i put a bell on my bike and it is jingling all the way, will i be able to hear an oncoming rider?

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    jingling all the way,
    oh what fun it is to ride on a one horse open sleigh!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    well, when you read and see all the wipeouts here that include concussions, cracked ribs, punctured lungs, broken arms and collarbones, and these are all people IN full armor, then what? (myself included for some broken stuff)

how do you justify that?

you think they stripped naked before the fall and then put the **** back on? because apparently the gear is just overkill.

oh wait, i got the solution, we need to all be as tough as you

+1
    Who went to a mtb race, looked at the pro's and said they look stupid, nevermind them being role models for young riders to stay on top of safety.

As for bells, If you really want the characteristics of a bell but want to keep your self respect, integrity and not look like a noob, get a hope or hadley hub.

Chubby Chaser
    I saw this guy who had a small cow bell hanging from the back of his saddle. I bought one of those little pink bike horns but ended up not using it.

Or you could always do what my friend does and let out a long constant scream every time you approach corners. He does it because he's freaking out about going into a blind turn but there were a couple of times where hikers heard him and ducked in some bushes.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    if i put a bell on my bike and it is jingling all the way, will i be able to hear an oncoming rider?
    Good point Bill. Kind of like when you're talking and everybody else is, who's listening?
    I once was in a garage band and this bastard who played rhythm guitar used to drown
    everyone out so all you heard was him, so when I did my lead section, it was like I wasn't
    even playing it.

The horn really does look stupid, but I'm not honking it throughout my whole ride unless
    I'm on acid or feeling horny wearing my spandex sans shirt.
    and yes, food in Mammoth Lakes, CA is horrible. I think most mountain resort areas
    have terrible restaurants, I could be wrong, never been to Switzerland

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If a bell rings in a forest and no ones around to hear it...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by john94123 View Post
    If a bell rings in a forest and no ones around to hear it...
    then it is just an annoyance to the rider, which is why i don't have a cowbell on my bike.

drunk & disorderly
    On local trails you shouldn't need a bell or anything. You should get off your bike an let hikers pass. Etiquette!

Glad to Be Alive
    just buy old Xmas stuff with bells everywhere
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle69 View Post
    On local trails you shouldn't need a bell or anything. You should get off your bike an let hikers pass. Etiquette!
    Yes, I tend to agree with this, if it's not signed as MTB only and 1 way I always ride so I can stop if come around a blind corner if need be.

When I see walkers I'll slow down to their pace (even if they have already gotten well off the trail) and say hello, nice day... whatever... etiquette is only going to help other trail users respect MTB riders more and less opposed to sharing.

I tend to only ever need a bell on shared inner city/suburban trails, with kids, dogs idiots on phones going every which way.

Stiff yet compliant
    If you are almost flattening hikers you need to make an adjustment to how you are riding. A bell is not going to fix the problem.

Basement Dweller
    If it's signed for bikes only - flatten'em.
    If it's open to all trail users - show respect & give right of way.

Don't be a twit & ruin it for the rest of us.

Vitamin Bike Added
    I find most of them skidder off the trail, stricken with panic and injustice as I approach anyway presuming I am completely out of control and about to cause a catastrophic accident as I brake gradually, smile and wave as I pass them and extend the appropriate pleasantries (good morning.evening/afternoon)

...No amount of advanced braking and smiling can avoid this behaviour....none.
    Keep the rubber side down

Bike's hmmm nice
    Avid brakes or Hope rear hub work great....

In all honesty: for me it doest really work to use a bell. When the other party finally notice it you are already on their tail. First they wander, than look around, walk the wrong way and then finally get out of the way, all pissed off because you "jumped" at them and used your "aggressive" bell. By that time you have already came to a halt and get frustrated because nobody reacts to your little bell. I just stop and ask politely if I can pass. Less hassle and you get the option to explain to the walkers that they are on a bike trail. Make it more personnel, create some mutual respect and you might not have to stop next time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There is just no blance between train horn and little girl bell....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    On my local exercise loop I find that a quick whistle lets hikers know that you are going to pass them, quick easy, don't have to carry s**t. Most hikers have music going and are oblivious to trail etiquette and very selfish (walking dogs leash blocking whole trail, blank stare, no lights at night, wrong side/direction) they are on their once a week walk, so if they don't know I'm coming they will not panic and walk into my line around them, if they stay walking in the same direction they are going, everyone has a good day, I will gladly put the extra effort into getting around them. Passing other bikes is different, I hate yelling, but sometimes you gotta do it on fun downs when someone is riding brakes like a semi truck down what you worked your butt off for. Group riders are the worst, stop in random places and clog up the trail like last nights burrito. Keep the trail clear, it's not a difficult concept.

If you have a problem with hikers and riding DH, you are the problem. Proper DH trails hikers shouldn't want to hike, or are lift access. You are poaching hiking trails if you think hikers are a problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0