mtbr member

Recommend a tire

Looking to replace these with something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Maxxis Minion DHRII has a pretty similar tread pattern. It's also my tire of choice for most conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    Maxxis Minion DHRII has a pretty similar tread pattern. It's also my tire of choice for most conditions.
    Thanks Tim. Iíll check them out.

Pro Crastinator
    Specialized Chunder is worth a look too

mtbr member
    Similar how?
    Tread pattern? Casing/durability? Rolling resistance? Braking?
    What's the attraction?

Edge's were a good and grippy pattern and could be pretty durable.

Lots of options that will give better grip/cornering/braking across a variety of trail conditions.
    Durability will be dependent on rubber compound and casing.

Many high quality/high performance DH treads are Maxxis DHF and HR2 derivatives. So many tires take inspiration from those designs.

Maxxis -DHF, DHR2, HR2, Shorty(still way under the radar, but super legit traction monster in the front). Choose DD or DH casings depending on options.
    If Maxxis isn't your thing you can find tires from Specialized, Onza, Continental that tweak what DHFs and HR2s offer.
    Many options will have better positioned and more supportive cornering blocks than your Edge's offered.

Schwalbe Magic Mary's are legit too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    Similar how?
    Tread pattern? Casing/durability? Rolling resistance? Braking?
    What's the attraction?

Edge's were a good and grippy pattern and could be pretty durable.

Lots of options that will give better grip/cornering/braking across a variety of trail conditions.
    Durability will be dependent on rubber compound and casing.

Many high quality/high performance DH treads are Maxxis DHF and HR2 derivatives. So many tires take inspiration from those designs.

Maxxis -DHF, DHR2, HR2, Shorty(still way under the radar, but super legit traction monster in the front). Choose DD or DH casings depending on options.
    If Maxxis isn't your thing you can find tires from Specialized, Onza, Continental that tweak what DHFs and HR2s offer.
    Many options will have better positioned and more supportive cornering blocks than your Edge's offered.

Schwalbe Magic Mary's are legit too.
    Thanks for the reply. Iím a bit new to this so I just needed some search terms to start researching. Now I have a few. Again thanks OP Ivy is awesome btw

J:
    If you're looking specifically for those staggered pattern (not inline) side lugz, the michelin wild enduro is it..not available in 26" tho, for 559bsd/26" the 2.8" DHR2 w/ tube (haven't seen the massive lugged 2.8" version in dd/burlier 26" dh casings yet) would be my recommendation..newest 26" dh pattern "minion" to date.
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    DD casings is not up to the task of DH. Iíve had 3 punctures from rocks going through the casing at the tread, only the sidewall is reinforced.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    DD casings is not up to the task of DH. Iíve had 3 punctures from rocks going through the casing at the tread, only the sidewall is reinforced.
    Odd... Ever since they came out I've been running the DD on my Jedi F/R and my Balance on the rear with no issues and I batter wheels and tires. I did shred the sidewall on one that was well past the point of replacement time, but I've also shredded the sidewall of a DH casing while riding at Pueblo lake in the winter time...

mtbr member
    I figured Iíd wait a bit before I gave my criticisms of the new tires. They have outstanding grip and braking. My only problem so far has been a flat. Iím not sure if it was a pinch or a puncture. Iím running with a tube and it only had one pinhole. Other than that they have been a pleasure. Iím not sure if you can see it in the pic but they are the DHs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Odd... Ever since they came out I've been running the DD on my Jedi F/R and my Balance on the rear with no issues and I batter wheels and tires. I did shred the sidewall on one that was well past the point of replacement time, but I've also shredded the sidewall of a DH casing while riding at Pueblo lake in the winter time...
    Iím normally easy on tires, even though Iím 200lbs and I ride in somewhat rocky and rooty areas. Iíve never had this kind of trouble with a tire before. I pulled it off the other night and itís very noticeable how flimsy the casing is under the treads compared to the sidewalls. Braking traction wise itís the best rear tire Iíve had, hopefully the DH casing is similar.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelsvx View Post
    I figured Iíd wait a bit before I gave my criticisms of the new tires. They have outstanding grip and braking. My only problem so far has been a flat. Iím not sure if it was a pinch or a puncture. Iím running with a tube and it only had one pinhole. Other than that they have been a pleasure. Iím not sure if you can see it in the pic but they are the DHs.

Your problem here is the tube. It doesn't matter what sidewall or tire you run, if you have a tube, it'll flat. Set that bad boy up tubeless and with a DH tire (in good condition) you shouldn't have to worry about flatting!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Iím normally easy on tires, even though Iím 200lbs and I ride in somewhat rocky and rooty areas. Iíve never had this kind of trouble with a tire before. I pulled it off the other night and itís very noticeable how flimsy the casing is under the treads compared to the sidewalls. Braking traction wise itís the best rear tire Iíve had, hopefully the DH casing is similar.
    240 with my gear on, and I'm not in great shape. I bash wheels and tires, especially when I get tired and my line choices become not so much choices, but reactions...

The DD casing has been spot on for me! I run tubeless with tire inserts - Minion DHR II DD 2.4 in the rear for both my Endur-bro bike and my DH bike have amazing.