Rear Suspension Upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear Suspension Upgrade

Anyone know where I can find a travel upgrade kit for my 04 Coiler Dee?? I heard a few companies make a kit that bumps the '04 up from 5 to 6 inches and the '05 up from 6 to 7. Called Kona, they sent me to DangerBoy...DangerBoy sent me to Avalanche...etc. Also if anyone knows whatsup with changing the stroke to increase the travel I'd be interested...let me know. L8R.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo13
    Anyone know where I can find a travel upgrade kit for my 04 Coiler Dee?? I heard a few companies make a kit that bumps the '04 up from 5 to 6 inches and the '05 up from 6 to 7. Called Kona, they sent me to DangerBoy...DangerBoy sent me to Avalanche...etc. Also if anyone knows whatsup with changing the stroke to increase the travel I'd be interested...let me know. L8R.
    go to yahoo and search BETD (over in England or Europe)....BETD will give you all new bearings and such...very thorouh

you will Have to get a Heavier spring too.

I did that to my 5 inch 02 Stinky (same bike different name) and loved the difference
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    go to yahoo and search BETD (over in England or Europe)....BETD will give you all new bearings and such...very thorouh

you will Have to get a Heavier spring too.

I did that to my 5 inch 02 Stinky (same bike different name) and loved the difference
    Gracias...so they offer plates and bearings in a kit?? That would rock cause I have a chance to get a brand new 888 VF (170mm) for CHEAP right now so I was thinkin of getting one for the coiler too but 5 and 7 would be...well...retarded. Thanks bro.

mtbr member
    Gracias...so they offer plates and bearings in a kit?? That would rock cause I have a chance to get a brand new 888 VF (170mm) for CHEAP right now so I was thinkin of getting one for the coiler too but 5 and 7 would be...well...retarded. Thanks bro.

Shiv,
    I found BETD's website and you definately called that one right on. Nice job. Thanks again.

Don't skid
    Its funny that Kona pionted you anywhere, b/c those plates viod your warrenty. But regardless of warrenty issues I have the Dangerboy rocker arms on my 04 Coiler, bumbed stock 5in to 6in . They make a huge differnce, wether its worth the $200 is debateble. And yes you need a new spring, at least a 100lbs more than what you were running. I don't know why Dangerboy sent you to avelanche b/c Dangerboy 5 inch Stink kit fits the 04 Coiler. Here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    so if you went with either the dangerboy or BETD plates...what would be a better shock to upgrade to as well? I am just looking at my options and a better shock would be nice to have as well as the 7" of travel.
    H.D. Smith Montana bound, Aug 2007
    05 Giant DH Comp
    B40Huckers.com

/dev/null
    You're getting a new shock, and new linkage plates, which are going to completely change the characteristics of the bike. Why not just get a new frame that's meant to have 7 inches of travel, and make sure it has the shock you want on it?

These frames are designed around the amount of travel they come with. That's not to say that it absolutely can't handle more travel, but if you take a 6" Stinky, and give it 7" of travel, then start riding it like a DH bike, you're going to break it. Just buy a 7" or 8" DH frame and be done with it.

Just my humble opinion of course - your mileage may vary

mtbr member
    I agree with you...but the 1" of travel is not the only reason or even the main goal.
    The bike worksgreat for me as is...but I have been making improvements to it and the fork and shock are something I am also looking to upgrade. I am looking for a better performing shock/suspension combo.
    Say I do get a better shock (i.e. Vanilla RC) and have it reworked by Push to make it better than new for about $300 US. Then get a used Shiver to complete the upgrades.

The point is not to spend a large amout of money, just improve on what I already have.

I already have these upgrades done.
    Chris King steel headset, Race Face Diabolus 31.8 bar, 2003 Jr T, Race Face Diabolus Crank, Hope M6Ti front and rear...and some other small items.
    H.D. Smith Montana bound, Aug 2007
    05 Giant DH Comp
    B40Huckers.com

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    Quote Originally Posted by stinky ho
    I agree with you...but the 1" of travel is not the only reason or even the main goal.
    The bike worksgreat for me as is...but I have been making improvements to it and the fork and shock are something I am also looking to upgrade. I am looking for a better performing shock/suspension combo.
    Say I do get a better shock (i.e. Vanilla RC) and have it reworked by Push to make it better than new for about $300 US. Then get a used Shiver to complete the upgrades.

The point is not to spend a large amout of money, just improve on what I already have.

I already have these upgrades done.
    Chris King steel headset, Race Face Diabolus 31.8 bar, 2003 Jr T, Race Face Diabolus Crank, Hope M6Ti front and rear...and some other small items.
    You can get a brand new DHX custom tuned to your weight and bike from Fox for $360 US. Call Universal Cycles and talk to Mike. He'll hook you up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I know you have a coiler but call kona and tell them you destroyed the plates on your 04' stinky deelux and need to buy new ones. They bolt right on and will give 6" travel with your shock. Thats what I did!

Glad to Be Alive
    Shiv,
    I found BETD's website and you definately called that one right on. Nice job. Thanks again.
    no problem
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by wgcviii
    I know you have a coiler but call kona and tell them you destroyed the plates on your 04' stinky deelux and need to buy new ones. They bolt right on and will give 6" travel with your shock. Thats what I did!
    this seems like a good idea....any pictures??? still need to upgrade the spring by 100 pounds.

IMO the bike (Coiler and Stinky's-same) will handle the the upgrade in travel, but if it ever brakes put the originals back on when doing warrenty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Its funny that Kona pionted you anywhere, b/c those plates viod your warrenty. But regardless of warrenty issues I have the Dangerboy rocker arms on my 04 Coiler, bumbed stock 5in to 6in . They make a huge differnce, wether its worth the $200 is debateble. And yes you need a new spring, at least a 100lbs more than what you were running. I don't know why Dangerboy sent you to avelanche b/c Dangerboy 5 inch Stink kit fits the 04 Coiler. Here's a pic.

Actually my local Kona dealer "supposedly" called Kona but it was them that steered me to DangerBoy however when I went to DangerBoy website I didn't see anything about suspension upgrade. Also ShiverMeTimbers dropped the link for BETD in U.K. which has exactly what we're lookin for....but I'll check D-Boy again just for the heck of it...maybe give 'em a call. Who ever's cheaper, but BETD's gear definately looks rock solid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    You're getting a new shock, and new linkage plates, which are going to completely change the characteristics of the bike. Why not just get a new frame that's meant to have 7 inches of travel, and make sure it has the shock you want on it?

These frames are designed around the amount of travel they come with. That's not to say that it absolutely can't handle more travel, but if you take a 6" Stinky, and give it 7" of travel, then start riding it like a DH bike, you're going to break it. Just buy a 7" or 8" DH frame and be done with it.

Just my humble opinion of course - your mileage may vary
    I agree with STINKY HO...I already have the bike and a brand new 888VF (170mm) on the way so why not upgrade the rear 1 inch since it's available. The biggest difference in frame geometry from the Coiler to say the Stab is head angle and the rear triangle. Other than that I'd think the Coiler frame is built just about as strong and should handle the extra inch of tavel no problem.

Appalache Cycles
    I've upgraded my Coiler to 7" rear using BETD Plates and put a super T up front and I love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by RobV
    I've upgraded my Coiler to 7" rear using BETD Plates and put a super T up front and I love it!
    The HA is almost vertical
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Appalache Cycles
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    The HA is almost vertical
    Maths never your strong point? Time for you to buy a protractor!
    Last edited by RobV; 02-21-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Still on Training Wheels!
    I also have an 04 Coiler and looked into the BETD plates as well, but calling Kona and asking for 04 Stinky plates sounds like a good idea. They look like they could just bolt right on. My only consern with new plates is that I have a size small frame, and there is only a half inch from the top tube to the top of the shock. Don't see it beeing a problem though
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by RobV
    Maths never your strong point? Time for you to buy a protractor!
    well, from what I can see, It's pretty straight looking..
    Am I wrong somehow, I don't understand
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    I think the problem here is the bike is pointed down slightly in the photo. Quick check in the photo editor....67.5 degrees.

--Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

Appalache Cycles

Sorry Jake, admittedly it's not the best of photo's and as skygrounder says it is pointing down slightly. 67.5 degrees sounds about right with the crowns clamped where they are.

Rob

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i paid 80 bucks for my stinky plates from kona.

Freerider 4 life

What is up?

ok... i finally got the guts to ask... in the face of looking like a newb at this thing. I looked at the plates on my 05 coiler dee and the plates on my friends 04 stinkies. They look exactly the same! Are you talking about earlier models of the coiler or.... cuz i am pretty sure now-a-days the coiler and the stinky are running similar plates and swing arms(difference being set up, forks, and rear shock).

cuz i am looking at adding some more travel myself

edit: I wasnt looking ath the stinky supreme
    You Like To Freeride!
    You Love it!
    You Cannot Resist Freeriding!
    Your life is meaningless Without Freeriding!

--my brain at 10 AM every morning--

Still on Training Wheels!
    plates on my 05 coiler dee and the plates on my friends 04 stinkies
    THe 05 coiler and the 04 stinky both have 6 inches of travel so i could see how they look the same, in fact i bet they just attached the 04 stinky rear to a new 05 coiler front triangle. What we're talking about is the 04 coiler which has 5 inches of travel, so mounting 04 stinky plates on it would more than likely make it identical to the 05 coiler...I think.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Freerider 4 life
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    THe 05 coiler and the 04 stinky both have 6 inches of travel so i could see how they look the same, in fact i bet they just attached the 04 stinky rear to a new 05 coiler front triangle. What we're talking about is the 04 coiler which has 5 inches of travel, so mounting 04 stinky plates on it would more than likely make it identical to the 05 coiler...I think.
    k sweet man, thanks. I was wondering if it was an older model you guys were talking about or what. Thanks. It doesnt look like the 05 plates of the stinkies could work on the coiler. DEFINATLEY NOT THE SUPREMES PLATES! but possible up to the dee version(work at a shop that sells kona's). anyways... thanks a bunch
    You Like To Freeride!
    You Love it!
    You Cannot Resist Freeriding!
    Your life is meaningless Without Freeriding!

--my brain at 10 AM every morning--

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by wgcviii
    i paid 80 bucks for my stinky plates from kona.
    BETD charges like 140 to 160 If I can remember right

mtbr member
    What about anything for a 2001 Stinky. I know its 5in already, but I kinda wanted 6(ish). Thanks. Cheaper is gooder
    Im just saying..