Rear Suspension Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Rear Suspension Question

So I know all the dual suspension bikes I've seen use a single rear air or coil shock. So simple question is. What about a rear suspension resembleing a rear facing fork. Is it possible has it been done. Any of you guys that have been riding for years what are your opinions. If its possible what are the pros and cons of it. If its not. Hey it was just an idea for a discussion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Harley Davidson did it back in the '70 on their MX bike-sucked balls-you'd watch them pack down and stay down,then hop around,not to say that it couldn't be made to work with modern fork technology but shocks are much more effective even though they only meter a fraction of the oil that a fork does. For ride quality it might be better to use a linkage fork that operated a shock except handling becomes an issue with a rube goldberg setup up front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dude thats is genius I was wonder that same thing you could have dual dampers and twice the tune ability!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lol not sure if.ur mocking me but I thought it was a valid question. Lol

www.derbyrims.com
    One of the first mountain bike suspension designs in the late '80's or early '90's was exactly that. A Manitou frame with duel 2" travel elastomer (soft plastic foam bumpers for springs) shocks as rear stays, like a fork in the back, attached to the back end of a monopivot swingarm for chainstays, old-school motorcycle style. And a matching Manitou 2 inch travel elastomer fork in front. The rear end was very flexy and heavy, but smoother than any hard tail. Maybe someone has a picture.

Mono-shock rear suspension was new back then too, and like motorcycles quickly took over mountain bike suspension designs, having less flex with less weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I remember that one Derby. It was in a Mountain Bike Action mag. I was going to mention it. Those elastomer bumpers in the Manitou fork were hard on cold days and marshmallows on hot days. Early suspension designs. I was rockin a Rockshox Mag 21 custom painted to my Klein Attitude gator fade. Dam 80s fluorescent crap!! LOL.

Members who have read this thread: 0