Rear shock help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rear shock help

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Rear shock help

So I'm looking for a place to buy a rear shock for my SGS. I checked here, ridemonkey, pinkbike. Is there anywhere else I can find a used one. I'm looking for a 7.875 x 2.25 w/ a heavier spring. I emailed a few people on pinkbike and ridemonkey, but haven't heard back. So I know theres a few other sites, but forget what they are. If anybody has one lmk. I'm trying ot get one for 150 or under till this winter when I can get a nice dhx 5 w/ a ti spring. The one I buy now will then become a back up shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Your mom feels kinda clunky.
    But hey Im not complaining.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    what shock's on there now?

5th element is 100$ on santa cruz's website

mtbr member
    I second the 5th from Santa Cruz. I had a 5th on my SGS and it actally worked pretty good, just make sure you use the correct spring. Mine was oversprung at first and that made the bike feel like crap.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    what shock's on there now?

5th element is 100$ on santa cruz's website
    I wouldn't but it, even at $100. My SGS (downhill version) came with one, and compared to other shocks like the DHX, vanilla R, rocco, and so on, it's crap. The best thing I did to my SGS was to get rid of that 5th element. They are pretty poor at suspension compared to most other stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm just looking for something to get me by till after xmas when I can get a nice dhx and good 888 for the bike.

It has an avalanch that I can't afford. I will get to run it for a while till I get a new one. If I can come up w/ the money to buy that I'll just keep that one and be done w/ it and not worry about getting a dhx.

I just checked santa cruz's sight and all they have are 8.75 i2i shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Your mom feels kinda clunky.
    But hey Im not complaining.

Members who have read this thread: 0