Rear Derailleur Bashguard ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear Derailleur Bashguard ?

Anyone know where i can pick one of these up ? I saw a couple of guys out on south mountain last weekend with them, forgot to ask about em. Hate manglin mechs on naughty gnar.
    The guard looks like a case that attaches to the chainstay just in front of the mech and covers it up so you can't even see it. My description sucks but if anyone can decipher please let me know. I wonder now if it was part of the frame but i ain't got a clue.

Cheers !
    [I][SIZE=1]Speeding beneath a field of blue like a silver speedbird one, all your life's below you, pouring fast to a hazy di

-> SickLines.com <-
    Its called a banger hanger / hanger banger is what you want

mtbr member
    Nope, seen plenty of them, this thing totally encased the mech, you couldn't even see the thing as it was behinf this protective plate/housing
    [I][SIZE=1]Speeding beneath a field of blue like a silver speedbird one, all your life's below you, pouring fast to a hazy di

mtbr member
    could of been home made,and why would you want to go to that much trouble as a hanger banger will do.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrweelz
    Nope, seen plenty of them, this thing totally encased the mech, you couldn't even see the thing as it was behinf this protective plate/housing
    humm, never seen anything like that! good luck in your search!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    could of been home made,and why would you want to go to that much trouble as a hanger banger will do.
    Firstly JMC rocks, Dirt is still my fave vid ever, although the recent re-release was a bit naff cos i loved the tunes. Anyways, I live in Phoenix these days and my trails are littered with plenty of mech hungry rocks, i'd rather not break any more and the hanger banger just isn't protecting what i want it to, i like my cage on and in place. Course, i could ride slower and on tamer trails....
    But yeah, am starting to think it may have been a custom job, i'll have to try and track them guys down, thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It didnt happen to look like the one on the back of this KHS, did it?

mtbr member
    Nope but its closer, used to have one of those on an ancient dawes kickback i think, forgot about them. Maybe i'll try to draw a picture and post it, could be scary though, i suck at art.

EastBaySteez
    I could use one of those puppies! I break deraillers alot...
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member

It ain't pretty

something along these lines, a solid 'case' or housing that you couldn't see through, molded around the mech area and protected the front of the lot too, seemed like it would glance off plenty of rocks, looked well nifty, but they must have had a shorter cage on or something cos i don't remember seeing much if any of the lower cage
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It would be a good idea, but heavy. But I know what you mean, Geronimo has robbed me of a couple derailluers this year

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Timekiller
    I used to have one of those on my old 300 dollar shop bike... it owned!
    I think I have it somewhere.... but doesnt fit my 15mm axle....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Cross posted to Arizona and sounds like i have the answer, custom parts made locally.

mtbr member
    Keep us updated. I have been making some drawing in CAD but if htere is allready something out there I would go for it. SoMo has taken too many of my hangers too.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Timekiller

I ran one of those derailer guards for a long time, they actully work really good, now I have a super short cage derailer so it doesnt hit all the time.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

New question here. Where do we get one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Its called a banger hanger / hanger banger is what you want

Hi,

Thanks for showing this device. Where would we get one for a XT rear derailleur on a VP Free? I have one on my Specialized Enduro Pro and love the support it gives the derailleur. Thanks for whatever help you can provide!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hi,

Thanks for showing this device. Where would we get one for a XT rear derailleur on a VP Free? I have one on my Specialized Enduro Pro and love the support it gives the derailleur. Thanks for whatever help you can provide!

Michael
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...ge&PAGE_id=143

mtbr member
    Firstly JMC rocks, Dirt is still my fave vid ever, although the recent re-release was a bit naff cos i loved the tunes. Anyways, I live in Phoenix these days and my trails are littered with plenty of mech hungry rocks, i'd rather not break any more and the hanger banger just isn't protecting what i want it to, i like my cage on and in place. Course, i could ride slower and on tamer trails....
    But yeah, am starting to think it may have been a custom job, i'll have to try and track them guys down, thanks for your help.
    i had the original copy of dirt and lent it to a friend,some 8 years ago but he moved,and that new version is pants.

i know its an exspensive option but would a saint rear mech be an option.

mtbr member
    Ha, same thing happened to my Dirt, lent to friend and never seen again, if i ever find the twat he better still have it ! new version does suck but its great to see the film that inspired me so many times, that proflex on the jumps looks hilarious these days, the suspension is just 2 elastomers, and i still believe JMC was doin that wheelie backwards no matter what anyone tells me

Seein that guard on the KHS has got me thinkin about DCD's remember them anyone ?

Been thinking about a saint but moreover i'm for avoiding the damage in the first place, still gettin used to the trails out here, never ridden rockier trails although they are pretty sweet in parts.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Ha, same thing happened to my Dirt, lent to friend and never seen again, if i ever find the twat he better still have it ! new version does suck but its great to see the film that inspired me so many times, that proflex on the jumps looks hilarious these days, the suspension is just 2 elastomers, and i still believe JMC was doin that wheelie backwards no matter what anyone tells me

Seein that guard on the KHS has got me thinkin about DCD's remember them anyone ?

Been thinking about a saint but moreover i'm for avoiding the damage in the first place, still gettin used to the trails out here, never ridden rockier trails although they are pretty sweet in parts.
    i think MBUK was distributing a dvd with Dirt in it a while back... The one with the Red Bull Gold Mine race...

sixsixtysix
    I know the answer. I am guessing you saw a couple of the guys who hang around Cactus Bike. Were they riding Azonic's or Gran Mals by chance? If so, they are a custom guard they are working on, its a CNC aluminum connector with a big "flap" of carbon fiber or composite covering over the derailleur. They are just starting to make the final prototypes and will probably start selling them later this year from what I heard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    i think MBUK was distributing a dvd with Dirt in it a while back... The one with the Red Bull Gold Mine race...
    Yeah, i have my international subscription on the go, thats the reissue we're talking about bein naff on account of the soundtrack bein changed. The original was way back, in a time far more simple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I know the answer. I am guessing you saw a couple of the guys who hang around Cactus Bike. Were they riding Azonic's or Gran Mals by chance? If so, they are a custom guard they are working on, its a CNC aluminum connector with a big "flap" of carbon fiber or composite covering over the derailleur. They are just starting to make the final prototypes and will probably start selling them later this year from what I heard.
    Yep, you got it !
    Guard looked the bizness, i'll be in for one of them when they're done, cactus you say, cool, thanks for the info !

something typed here
    Thats a good idea. I think Im going to attemp to make something along those lines. Do you know how these guys mounted them? Does it just bolt to the frame?

EastBaySteez
    I serriously need one! today another crash another bent der. I fixed it tho! BEND IT BACK
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Would you rather have a broken der, or a broken. bent der, hanger, Both my Spesh came with one. Not sure that it makes a lot of sense,
    "BONES HEAL, CHICKS DIG SCARS, PAIN GOES AWAY"
    07 SX TRAIL III
    07 DEMO 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i took off the guard thingy that came on my sx trail.
    if you do hit the derailer on rocks or whatever, it bends the parallelogram instead of the hanger.
    great.....120$ derailleur instead of a 15$ hanger.
    bad idea IMO

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by backwoodser
    Thats a good idea. I think Im going to attemp to make something along those lines. Do you know how these guys mounted them? Does it just bolt to the frame?
    They mount to the chainstay. The composite part has some give to it so hitting the gaurd wont do anything except to deflect whatever it is you hit. In the super rock filled trails out here in AZ they are almost a necessity. If I make it into the shop this weekend I will try to get a picture of one of the bikes with one on it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, if you could get a pic that'd be great, i think there will be a lot of interest if the device works well and if it has some give like you say then it sounds like it will.

mtbr member
    dcd havent seen one in years.

and dirt rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    something along these lines, a solid 'case' or housing that you couldn't see through, molded around the mech area and protected the front of the lot too, seemed like it would glance off plenty of rocks, looked well nifty, but they must have had a shorter cage on or something cos i don't remember seeing much if any of the lower cage
    A couple of teamates on a DH race team I raced with back in 2003 had some derailleur bash guards like that for their Intense M1 bikes. The guard was bent sheet aluminum with C-shaped clamps that went around the frame. Dana Franklin in Denver CO designed and made them, I think he sold them for $150. I designed a bash guard for mass production but the tooling would be too expensive to fit just one type of frame. I think the DH frame manufacturers should make mount bosses like the ISCG chain guide mounts, but for mounting the rear derailleur guard. I could then design a universal guard light and low cost.

Erik,

www.balleracing.com

mtbr remember
    yeah, I have one of those specialized der. guards, and I hooked it up to my Turner Rail with a Saint 10mm thru-axle, and used the extra axle length for a bolt for the der-guard, then just used a regular XT short cage derailleur.... looks pretty trick, and it's super solid too.

but, what the OP was almost attempting explaining at first sounded like one of those old school horrible "Grunge Guard" rubber boot things that you use to encase your derailleur... but they had no carbon fiber or anything and wouldn't protect against much, except trap dirt and water.
    honestly though, all this armor for your derailleur sounds like a bad idea IMO...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Members who have read this thread: 0