Rear axle question...- Mtbr.com
    MattSavage

Rear axle question...

What is the difference between a "stepped 12mm-10mm" rear bolt on axle and a "regular" 10mm bolt on axle?

Is the 12mm-10mm like an adapter type axle for converting a hub with a 12mm axle to 10mm? I'm looking for a bolt on 10mm axle for a Shimano XT or LX rear hub. 135mm spacing on an 05 Scott High Octane. Any ideas?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    What is the difference between a "stepped 12mm-10mm" rear bolt on axle and a "regular" 10mm bolt on axle?

Is the 12mm-10mm like an adapter type axle for converting a hub with a 12mm axle to 10mm? I'm looking for a bolt on 10mm axle for a Shimano XT or LX rear hub. 135mm spacing on an 05 Scott High Octane. Any ideas?
    i think the stepped axle is kinda like this.

http://unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=144

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    i think the stepped axle is kinda like this.

http://unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=144
    That's a slotted axle. The 12mm axle is shaved down to 10mm on the ends so they fit in dropouts.

A stepped 12mm axle is 12mm in the center, and 10mm on the ends.

Shimano hubs just use a straight 10mm axle.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    You can convert your XT/LX hub have your LBS order you a Wheels Manufacturing Axle - 187mm x 10mm x 1mm pitch thread and some Problem Solvers 10 x 1 track nuts. Then all you have to do is replace your QR axle with the solid, it's real simple usually take me @ 5-10mins.

BTW, be cafeful buying a stepped/slotted 12-10mm hub, they are not all the same. The Woodman hub pictured above is claimed to be a 12/10mm slotted, but it wouldn;t fit on my Big Hit, I'd say it's more of a 15/12. However, I have had good luck with my Gusset Jury hub which is a 12/10mm slotted and fit perfectly. Of course my XT converted hub works just as well and cost alot less, Gusset Hub= $75.00 vs. Axle Conversion on XT= $15.00.
    Last edited by RED5; 02-18-2006 at 07:51 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0