Rear air shocks for DH and hardcore FR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear air shocks for DH and hardcore FR?

I have always used coil shocks on all my bikes. I have never had any ride time on a rear air shock. Are they any good for DH and FR. I now have a giant glory DH and was curious about air shocks with long travel (3.00 X 9.5"), like the manitou evolver 6-way, etc. Can anyone shed some light on how they perform compared to coil, besides the obvious wieght difference. Any other info on rear air shocks is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Glad to Be Alive
    stay away from Manitou

how much you weigh??

for more XC trails and Racing....I would go air shock

for more DH/FR the coil over shock is so much smoother
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

i drink shower water
    i agree with SMT, my buddy got an air shock on his FR bike because it felt plush in the shop but once we hit the trails he was bummed to say the least.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

I Welcome All
    air shocks blow through their stoke on big hits, for example, i weigh in the 100lbs range and i set my air shock up for about 150lbs, it was extremely harsh ride and when i hit a 3ft drop it bottomed so hard it pushed the o-ring right off the shock, theyre awesom for AM but if your gonna get one for DH/FR get the dhx air (do the dhx airs still have all the problems???)

Some Assembly Required
    My homeboy Brad rides a Bottle Rocket w/a DHX air & th' wrench at my LBS rides a VP Free w/a DHX air. They both love'em. One goes big, th' other..not so much. The pic is Brad on th' Bottle Rocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Air shocks are NOT for DH...If you want to know why, go get yourself the last Bike Magazine.The have a really good article explaning why they're ok for bikes with less than 5" travel, but delivers poor performances on bigger bikes...

Or you could do a search on this forum, you should find a lot of info....Based on my own experience I'd tell you to stay away from it.Unless if you can avoid rocks & roots and only ride on cyclocross trails...Even if you could shave 10 pounds off your bike, if it doesnt perform well whats the point?

Freeriding Feline
    I can't recommend an air shock for bigger performance. I'd rather sacrifce the pound of weight for dependability. The "stuck down" syndrome STINKS.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

T.Dot Represent
    jam on a TI spring and its even less weight
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

~~~~~~~~
    I went back and forth with the DHX air and coil on my highline and the main complaints I had with the air was not being able to get the rebound slow enough and it rode higher, as in the coil sagged more which felt better to me.

I never had any problems with it getting stuck down, and bottoming can be eliminated with the many adjustments proper tuning. You can also change the size of the air can now also which has been necessary for some applications.

I can use the DHX air and still be happy, you can make them work well, but too much for me to deal with, and after doing back to back with the coil and factoring in my laziness, I just like the feel of the coil better and didn't notice the weight difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride a Manitou Swinger 4 way air on my V10. Only a small part was the weight savings (which was quite a lot I must add), but most was performance. I've run it for about a year now, and haven't had any problems. Air technology is improving a lot and most on THIS board will tell you stay away, just like carbon and clipless. I did a lot of research on it before I put it on, talked to people that ran it on that SPECIFIC bike. I don't think reliability is as much of an issue as it used to be. (which is kinda funny, in small town wisconsin I've seen more problems with coils than air??) Will it work good on your bike.... I dunno. I just wouldn't be scared to run it just cause a few people on this board are too bull headed to try something new. My vote is go for it.

Hard as nails
    I don't know but I feel slightly different. I do believe that a coil is a lot less finicky and prolly a bit more durable in the long term. In my case I ride an 06 Dirtbag and after a year of figiting with dialing it in the way I ride and like it to feel. And I am extremely pleased with my DHXA. I have a set up for when I am trail riding, a set up for the hucking sessions, and one for DH applications. It fits my bill. Not stuck down issues here either!

The performance of the DHXA is tied directly to your ability to understand and properly tune the shock. Not saying that anyone here does not have that ability to preperly tune an air shock. (I am sure you've play with a few air shocks in your day, as did myself).

I came from using a swinger 4way coil on my previous bike - I liked it as well. People say it blows through hit travel on big hits - I find that a coil does too, there may not a sag ring to indicate how far it goes into its travel but I am sure it flys through it travel as well. I think it totally personal preference , having the ability to tune an air shock , and lastly wanting to spend the time to properly tune the air shock

Conclusion: I love the DHXA - I don't go the biggest but I go big enough, I don't go the fastest but I go fast enough, I am not the smoothest but I am smooth enough and the DHXA has taken me there every time - no complaints.

**With all of that said, I am buying a Roco TST Coil to have as well.

Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

EastBaySteez
    I just got a Rockshox Pearl 8.7x2.6 I'll post a thread on the combo with the 7point. We'll see what happens. (1st ride is tomorrow on the new shox, if the hardware comes today)
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckfut
    I ride a Manitou Swinger 4 way air on my V10. Only a small part was the weight savings (which was quite a lot I must add), but most was performance. I've run it for about a year now, and haven't had any problems. Air technology is improving a lot and most on THIS board will tell you stay away, just like carbon and clipless. I did a lot of research on it before I put it on, talked to people that ran it on that SPECIFIC bike. I don't think reliability is as much of an issue as it used to be. (which is kinda funny, in small town wisconsin I've seen more problems with coils than air??) Will it work good on your bike.... I dunno. I just wouldn't be scared to run it just cause a few people on this board are too bull headed to try something new. My vote is go for it.
    In the small town where I live (call Whistler) I ride a Nomad with a DHX A and a Demo 8 with coil. I use the Demo 99% of the time for the bike park and keep the nomad for the valley trails. Still, I whish I had a coil on it. Not that I’m afraid to blow the shock, simply because the performance isn’t there at high speed, which is the main reason why I don’t bring it to the park.

I’m not sure where you did your research but I’ve seen numerous articles with tech guys from all over the industry and all of them were saying the same thing:
    I personally think as soon as you get over 6 inches of travel, coil's the only way to go

Here if you want to see it by yourself I think this guys knows what he’s talking about:http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index...sk=view&id=545

The DHX air still is a great shock and you could beat the crap out of if its what you need to hear. Now If you want to huck go for it(hardcore FR) but if you #1priority is racing (DH) I think you may be disappointed with an AIR shock…No offense here but that DirtBag isn’t a DH bike IMO…looks like a lot of fun though!

P.S you really should get the latest Bike Mag, you'd understand better why it isnt the best solution...

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    The DHX air still is a great shock and you could beat the crap out of if its what you need to hear. Now If you want to huck go for it(hardcore FR) but if you #1priority is racing (DH) I think you may be disappointed with an AIR shock…No offense here but that DirtBag isn’t a DH bike IMO…looks like a lot of fun though!

I 100% agree with you - if your intention is to Race DH then I would most def go wit a Coil But I understood the original thread to be asking about Hardcore FR and DH (Did not see racing). With respect for all - both are great but for the most compliant irde DH, go wit a coil

Btw- The Dirtbag is alot of fun and is certainly NOT a DH bike. Just something FUN to ride
    Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    cool thanks guys. Its just that i have never ridden, (or even sat on for that matter) a bike with a rear air shock, so i am curious. Although i know that i would way prefer the coil over air due to my bias of coilovers on trucks (its the way to go). But i like to hear what people say, obviously everyone has their preferences. Once i got my DHX 5.0 coil set up on my Glory, i love it, especially the bottom out feature. Plus, i am far from being a wieght weeny.

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    My homeboy Brad rides a Bottle Rocket w/a DHX air & th' wrench at my LBS rides a VP Free w/a DHX air. They both love'em. One goes big, th' other..not so much. The pic is Brad on th' Bottle Rocket.

Please god, tell me this mofo is wearing a helmet and its not just my eyes deceiving me

Nice pics guys, great action

Shredder111=)

Members who have read this thread: 0