really need some help with the technology- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

really need some help with the technology

okay, little background. Raced expert DH about 7 years ago when the courses were bigger and rougher. Built up a Super 8 with Stratos Super 8 and coil Vanilla. Bike was built big for hucks and the courses that we were running. I live in Santa Barbara at the bottom of tunnel and have probably run that trail close to 150 times.

Fast forward 7 years. I got out of racing and got back to my roots of cross country, road and basically everything but racing DH. Then the Firestone rolled around and I decided to get out and race. I raced Sport as it didn't require a year license. Broke my bb in practice and raced my buddies Marin. I won Sport with a time that would have had me 2nd in Expert. Decided to get think about racing again

Sooooo..... I am looking at getting a new bike. My old super 8 is bomber but weighs over 50 pds. I am looking at the Marin 7.3, the Stinky Primo or the Yeti 303. I like the suspension and weight of the Marin, seems really well designed but I am confused on the air and single crown.

Here are my questions. I grew up with Air Oil (Mag 20's etc) and love it but always relied on Spring for DH. I prefer the feel of air, but wasn't sure they would hold up to DH. Will they? Are they proven?

Also are 6 inch single crown forks rigid enough for DH?

I specifically don't want the full blown DH rig anymore as from what I can tell the courses don't seem to need it anymore, and a lighter bike will be faster.... but I do want durability and performance.

Someone help. Sorry for all the questions.

mtbr member
    A single crown will be fine. Coming up short on a fifty foot double could be ugly but those went away about 3 years ago anyhow. That Marin is nice. I have had a STAB PRIMO and don't reccomend one. The 303 is nice but super expensive. Maybe look at a Socom, Marin, CORTINA single pivot either the FR or DH version, If you have enough $$$$ for a 303 then buy a BOXXER WC or MARZ SL ATA front fork. I would run air in front but probably not the back. This is prefernce but coil and oil beat air generally. I have a M3 with a single crown and the bike is overkill for about all I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    From what I've seen just from video's and pictures and stuff, the firestone course was relativley smooth, same the sea otter courses. There are plently of courses that a full on race rig wouldn't hurt. And nowadays a race rigs are weighing in at about 40lbs anyway. If your gonna race expert than you will be at a big disadvantage on a smaller bike at alot of tracks.

mtbr member
    If you want a single crown fork for DH then take a look at the Marzocchi 66..... If you get a frame with a 1.5 headtube then you might also want to take a look at the 1.5 Travis.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

ride hard take risks
    The Marin linkage is sweet, possibly 1 of the most under rated designs in the mass production arena. I had a '99 Supate with a black box boxxer awesome bike. Single crown long travel forks have come along way they are dang solid. If your as aggressive as you were before you might consider a dual crown. If your going to have allot of fun riding aggressive a single should work just fine. I have been looking at the Fox 36 but the more people i talk to it has a nasty habit of bottoming on -3 footers with the heaviest spring. Riders are 170- 185lbs. Possibly the Totem would be a fork to look at.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    well how are the courses now. Back in the day 30 - 40 foot steps etc were the norm. The firestone and sea otter seemed like bmx tracks. Are they making stable 6 inch single crowns now? And on another note, I was blown away by that Marin I borrowed. I raced Marin back in the B17 days and it was stoneage technology. The new design seemed bottomless. Really really awesome. I bottomed by Super 8 on like three sections and the Marin not once of the Firestone. Wasn't sure if this was the air tech or the suspension design or a combination.

ride hard take risks
    You would be hard pressed to find a 30-40 footer on a DH course these days. 6 inch single crown being solid is pretty standard now days.
    The Marin's Whyte is a awesome suspension design.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Premium Member
    Firestone isn't real DH. Mammoth, Northstar, Whistler, Bootleg, etc. are real DH. Don't be fooled, get a rig that can handle it all.

Look at the Specialized SX Trail or Demo 7 for a DH/short-course (what you would call the Marmot or Firestone) do-it-all, or many others. The Giant Reign X comes to mind, along with the Iron Horse 7-point.

Singlecrowns can take it but dual crowns are still stiffer. Look at Marzocchi, Rockshox, and Fox for quality stuff. Rockshox is affordable and awesome, Marzocchi is durable, Fox feels great but is expensive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    were you driving the blazer a firestone? i think you parked by us and pulled the red supaaa 8 outta the back. saw you hit the course a few times durring practice and were cookin', never saw ya race. explains why.

Glad to Be Alive
    bottom of Tunnell.......I would get a dual crown fork like an 888 or something else....a bike with 8 inches of travel will suit you fine....start training on Tunnel but have a few bells on your bike and stop for all hikers(very important)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    bottom of Tunnell.......I would get a dual crown fork like an 888 or something else....a bike with 8 inches of travel will suit you fine....start training on Tunnel but have a few bells on your bike and stop for all hikers(very important)
    Leave it to SMT to tell a guy who said in his original post that he lives at the bottom of tunnel and has ran it over 150 times Im pretty sure he knows all about the bell and potential for hikers!

Equal opportunity meanie
    Was that the Marin Quake you were on? If that is a bike that interests you, I know of one in Santa Barbara set up as a super light DH racer that just recently went up for sale due to an injury (and a very good price on it too) - PM me if you want more info. It's very Tunnel-worthy.

If you have the cash, the 303 will be about the fastest damned thing you can ride on Tunnel.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by fsdmusic
    Leave it to SMT to tell a guy who said in his original post that he lives at the bottom of tunnel and has ran it over 150 times Im pretty sure he knows all about the bell and potential for hikers!

true....BUT

7 years ago they didn't have the problems that started 5 years ago....just making sure

better to be safe then sorry
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    yea, I know all about the issues on Tunnel. I may not have been racing DH but I still am active with the trails etc. I have done my fair share of trail work and conflict resolution in SB. I know all too well the issues... but I appreciate you bringing it up as it is better to be safe than sorry.

Also, after not racing for years and keeping my speed my new secret is training on strength and speed over technical skill. Technical riding skill doesn't seem to errode as fast as fitness. Time to get some road miles and sprinting in!

Yes, that was me in the Blazer. I felt great until my BB went. Snapped clean off. Anyway, borrowed a bike and ran the course once on it and then raced! I think being more mellow as it was a borrowed bike helped me to be faster. My first run was something like 6 seconds over second. I was kinda suprised by that.

I appreciate all the comments, this has helped a lot. I really like the Marin and have a line on one. It comes with the Fox 35 Talas RC2 which weighs 5.25 pds with 6 inches. I would consider getting a boxxer which is 8 inches with only a .75 pd difference. I do want to keep the head angle reasonable though. Wonder if the stiffness is really worth it. I have a hard time imagining the single could hold a line as well as a double.

I appreciate all the help, sounds like tech has progressed a ton. I am still familiar with the gnarly trails, but won't be doing the hucks I used to back in the day. I would love to build a dh rig closer to 35 pds that is still durable.

Just for laughs, here is a pic from back in the day. This is what the Super 8 was built for and it excelled at it.

Members who have read this thread: 0