raised stanchion scratch 888 - search used- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. raised stanchion scratch 888 - search used

just notice a very small RAISED scratch just above the dust seal. I mean TINY...like a bur.
    Not sure how I got it since I have'nt used the bike since last October.
    Anyway, I read all the posts after searching and it seems that I should use a wet sand paper or some fine steel wool.

I'm not familiar with wet sandpaper...can anyone advise what I should get at Home Depot?
    Do I soak it in water? or spray water on the stanchion? use lube?

What about the motion? I'm assuming up and down and not side to side.

After it is smooth to the touch, do I need to add nail polish?
    I'm assuming no since there is no gouge.

Thanks in advance,,,

sixsixtysix
    Just grab some 1500 or 200 grit sandpaper at home depot and hit the spot with that. If its that small, then it shouldn't even take a couple seconds of rubbing before its smooth. Once its done, don't even worry about the nail polish thing, that is more for if you are filling in a gouge or large scratch.

mtbr member

grit

Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Just grab some 1500 or 200 grit sandpaper at home depot and hit the spot with that. If its that small, then it shouldn't even take a couple seconds of rubbing before its smooth. Once its done, don't even worry about the nail polish thing, that is more for if you are filling in a gouge or large scratch.
    what's the finest grit they make?
    Last edited by sixsixtysix; 02-18-2008 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    anything between 12 and 2500, like like 150 and 200 being average and maybe 400 for some finer sanding

sixsixtysix
    Sorry, I meant to say 1500 or 2000. 2000 or 2500 is pretty much the finest grit for anything that actually requires sanding.

mtbr member
    I use a very thin round file. If you use SP maybe wrap it around a bic pen so that you sand only the raised burr and not the surrounding area of the stanchion. Check if smooth with fingernail or razor blade. Best to smooth scratches immediately less they cut up your oil seals.

I like air!
    or go to any grocery store or CVS and get a nail buffing file. it has like 3 or 4 different fine grits on one file with a semi rigid backing that makes focusing on the one area easier then using sandpaper.

mtbr member

grit

Sorry, I meant to say 1500 or 2000. 2000 or 2500 is pretty much the finest grit for anything that actually requires sanding.
    I knew something looked weird!
    just bought some 2000 from my local auto store.

I wouldn't even bother sanding...but it definitely could impact the seals since it is very low on the stanchion.

mtbr member
    sand up and down sense that is the direction your fork moves

mtbr member

Upset found a chip too!

Quote Originally Posted by skywaybuzz
    I use a very thin round file. If you use SP maybe wrap it around a bic pen so that you sand only the raised burr and not the surrounding area of the stanchion. Check if smooth with fingernail or razor blade. Best to smooth scratches immediately less they cut up your oil seals.

I noticed that I also have a very small "chip" that will require a filler.
    I have my wife's clear nail polish and will go this route for now.

Question...how long should I let it sit before I sand?
    How many coats?

Broken and dizzy
    I used a finger nail emmery board on my 888rc in '06 after the schleps at the sea otter gouged the crap out of my stantion. Still riding the same fork and have no issues. No oil leaks or seal damage. Just take your time and go easy until it's nice and smooth. Oh yeah, no nail polish filler either, just filed it down smooth.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    I noticed that I also have a very small "chip" that will require a filler.
    I have my wife's clear nail polish and will go this route for now.

Question...how long should I let it sit before I sand?
    How many coats?

Maybe an hour or 2. Remember, less is more when filling, coat it, let it sit, and if it needs more then add it. Don't put too much on from the start or else you'll be sanding that off too to get it back to flush.

mtbr member

dry time

Maybe an hour or 2. Remember, less is more when filling, coat it, let it sit, and if it needs more then add it. Don't put too much on from the start or else you'll be sanding that off too to get it back to flush.
    got ya..
    I let it sit 20 minutes the first time, and it was all tacky to the touch.
    So I redid it and it's sitting now.

I think the cold weather was slowing down the dry time, so I put the bike in the basement.

mtbr member

New question here. did not work...surface prep?

the polish does'nt dry to a hard surface.
    When I sanded the second time, the polish was still tacky.
    Is there a certain nail polish that works best?
    This is clear "hard as Nails"
    I'm putting one brush stroke about the size of a pencil eraser...very small.

Should I clean the stanchions with degreaser...or just wipe them down to make sure the polish adheres??

Glad to Be Alive
    the polish does'nt dry to a hard surface.
    When I sanded the second time, the polish was still tacky.
    Is there a certain nail polish that works best?
    This is clear "hard as Nails"
    I'm putting one brush stroke about the size of a pencil eraser...very small.

Should I clean the stanchions with degreaser...or just wipe them down to make sure the polish adheres??
    wait longer for the polish to harden
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    I would get a razorblade and scrape it smooth then use some filler to make up for missing material.
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

Meh.
    You can also try a super glue or touch up paint (almost the same as nail polish). The nail polish should dry hard.

mtbr member

clean first?

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You can also try a super glue or touch up paint (almost the same as nail polish). The nail polish should dry hard.
    should i wipe the stanchions down first (to eliminate any oil residue*)

*not oil from leaking...just a residue from normal use

moaaar shimz
    Yes, with isopropyl alcohol.

Meh.
    should i wipe the stanchions down first (to eliminate any oil residue*)

*not oil from leaking...just a residue from normal use
    Yes. You want a clean surface for it to adhere to. It's just like when you paint something... do you want to paint a car that's covered in wax and dirt? Nope. You want to remove all of that crap first.

Good luck, post back with results.

Have you already managed to sand down the burrs?

mtbr member

burr

Yes. You want a clean surface for it to adhere to. It's just like when you paint something... do you want to paint a car that's covered in wax and dirt? Nope. You want to remove all of that crap first.

yes. The burr was easy. 5 seconds of 2000 grit and now it is smooth.

I'm still trying to figure how this happened.

Is it possible for dirt to collect under the wipers (East Coast was dry last season)?
    And now, I compress the fork for the first time in months...and then notice scratches!

Meh.
    yes. The burr was easy. 5 seconds of 2000 grit and now it is smooth.

I'm still trying to figure how this happened.

Is it possible for dirt to collect under the wipers (East Coast was dry last season)?
    And now, I compress the fork for the first time in months...and then notice scratches!
    Must have been a tiny burr if 2000 took it off in 5 seconds.

Could it have come from leaning the bike up against something?

The point of the wipers is to keep dirt out. But a very small amount of dirt may have been carried in the scratch... Just pull it all apart when you're going to do an oil change. Check the bushings and all that.

Bike Ninja |||
    nail polish never gave me good results. steps I follow to repair stanchion:

1) thoroughly clean scratched area with isopropyl alcohol. allow to dry
    2) fill with super glue
    3) take a thin piece of paper, contour it to the stanchion, and scrape off any excess glue.
    4) allow to dry COMPLETELY (depending on superglue, anywhere from 5 - 30 min)
    5) take a high grit sandpaper (2000 works well) and dry sand it until you cannot see any excess glue around the scratch (until it's smooth).

repeat one or two more times. and remember if you ever touch it with your fingers you need to clean it again with rubbing alcohol. Be precise, thorough, and careful in your work. take the time needed to do it right. the last thing you want is a flake of superglue coming off in the fork and clogging up your cartridge.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    nail polish never gave me good results. steps I follow to repair stanchion:

1) thoroughly clean scratched area with isopropyl alcohol. allow to dry
    2) fill with super glue
    3) take a thin piece of paper, contour it to the stanchion, and scrape off any excess glue.
    4) allow to dry COMPLETELY (depending on superglue, anywhere from 5 - 30 min)
    5) take a high grit sandpaper (2000 works well) and dry sand it until you cannot see any excess glue around the scratch (until it's smooth).

repeat one or two more times. and remember if you ever touch it with your fingers you need to clean it again with rubbing alcohol. Be precise, thorough, and careful in your work. take the time needed to do it right. the last thing you want is a flake of superglue coming off in the fork and clogging up your cartridge.

Thats how I fixed a big gouge in my stanchion. Worked great.

mtbr member

nail polish update

Update:
    The nail polish seems to have worked after letting it sit overnight to harden.
    It's not 100% perfect as I can feel a little excess polish...but it's hardly noticeable with your finger. A bit more sanding and I'll stop worrying about it.
    The chip is filled in completely though.
    Thanks for all the advice.......

Members who have read this thread: 0