Rack help..- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rack help..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Rack help..

Ok so here's the deal, i have no car and so to get to the hills with my bike (05 cove peeler), i'll be renting a car pretty much every weekend.

the problem is, i'll need a rack to transport my bike (and possibly another DH bike).

There is no hitch on the back of the cars, and no roof rails to mount anything on.

So i'll need a trunk mount rack that can hold two downhill bikes, totaling around 90 pounds.

to make things just a little harder, my cove peeler has a weird frame shape that won't fit in most trunk mount, top tube strap style holders.

So my questions,
    1. Does anybody know of a good trunk mount rack that works well with heavy DH bikes?
    2. Has anybody had experience using the "bike bar" that creates a 'normal' top tube for mounting?
    3. Anybody have a free pickup truck to spare?

cheers.
    Last edited by aj_strawson; 04-11-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Bottlerockin'
    I can only answer #2...
    But yes that adapter thingamajig creates a flat bar from stem to seat/seatpost. It works very effectivley! Nothing much more to say about it; it works!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the top tube bars work, but i would recomend a bolt on seat post collar. the QRs have a tendency to wiggle loose and thats not something you wand at 60 mph, as far as renting a car every weekend, watch craigslist and buy a cheap ford ranger or somthing, i see old ones sell for $300 or so that still run great.
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.rider
    the top tube bars work, but i would recomend a bolt on seat post collar. the QRs have a tendency to wiggle loose and thats not something you wand at 60 mph, as far as renting a car every weekend, watch craigslist and buy a cheap ford ranger or somthing, i see old ones sell for $300 or so that still run great.

ha, yeah i've looked at the shitty beater idea, and unfortunately i live in canada where the laws are much stricter for what can be driven.

Cheers.

Bike Ninja |||
    Ok. story time.

I traveled and rented a car sans hitch or roof mount, very much akin to what you are planning to do. Did the trunk rack dealio and with about 75-80lbs of two bikes on the back and normal driving (no aggressive driving... pretty much grandma style) the rack ended up tweaking and denting the trunk. Those kinds of racks aren't meant for DH bikes, or their weight. The rental car company charged me like $360-400 bucks for the damage.....

SOLUTION : Rent a van or truck......
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Ok. story time.

I traveled and rented a car sans hitch or roof mount, very much akin to what you are planning to do. Did the trunk rack dealio and with about 75-80lbs of two bikes on the back and normal driving (no aggressive driving... pretty much grandma style) the rack ended up tweaking and denting the trunk. Those kinds of racks aren't meant for DH bikes, or their weight. The rental car company charged me like $360-400 bucks for the damage.....

SOLUTION : Rent a van or truck......
    Ouch!

Members who have read this thread: 0