racing with limited budget- Mtbr.com
    Mountain Dew enthusiest

racing with limited budget

So, this fall, im going off to college and one of the colleges im considering (colorado school of mines) has a cycling team and does DH races. Right now, i have a 06 kona coiler but i want something better for racing DH. Seeing as how im going to college, i dont have the biggest budget. I work in a store that sells specialized and KHS and i think we can get mongoose possibly. What would you guys suggest for me? The Big Hit III looks like it has decent specs and i could upgrade to a 888 or a boxxer pretty easily. The KHS DH bike looks decent too but i dont know how much that costs. what do you think? what upgrades should i make to whatever bike i get?
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Either a new demo 8 or something used like a DHR or a Socom.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    My budget is like 2-3k retail. i would really like a demo 8 but the cheapest one is $3700. I haven't had the best luck with used bikes so i would kind of like something new but i'll look into those.

'80 Rumme

mtbr member
    just be patient when it comes to used bikes and test ride them, check them all out. if you work in a shop i would imagine you have some knowledge around a bike and there are some crazy deals out there on used bikes.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    I live in Des Moines, IA so that makes it hard to demo used DH bikes. I will continue looking for good deals (blems, etc.), but just in case i cant find a sweet deal, or a good used bike, it would be nice to know a little more about my options. Like how much does the big hit weigh?, etc.

'80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Do you not get EP or some sort of discount working at the shop? You have to pay full retail?
    Last edited by Tiago79; 02-28-2010 at 02:39 PM.

mtbr member
    I remember those days of limted budgeting...they sucked for me becuase I wanted everything. Everytime a new part came out, I wanted it. That was back in the early 90's when everything was changing as rapidly as computer software does today.
    Just make very informed decisions and do your homework making sure you know that each part or bike is exactly what you want. Also, if you're going on a collegiate team, they may have some funding available for support. Ask for EP pricing at the shop and get on Hook-It and try to get some sponsors. They love young kids, especially college students. Bikes+college=sales.
    Be persistant, passionate, and committed. It takes all of these qualities to attain what you're looking for and to be a good DH racer. If you can't be those things now, then DH racing isn't your game. But I know you can accomplish what you're looking for, I did at 29 and now again at 41.
    Good luck.
    Generation Gap Racing.
    Thanks 2012 sponsors! Hayes Bicycle Group, LEATT/Azonic, MAXXIS, GoPro, 661, ODI, Royal, Loeka,SPY

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    Thanks guys for the advice. I will be able to EP a bike. I just gave the retail range because I can pay the EP prices for that price range. I will try getting on hook-it and I will find out what kind of deals I can get as part of the team. Tedman, when you said about always wanting new parts when they came out, I felt exactly the same way when I went to the QBP bike show last weekend. I saw so much stuff i wish i could get.

'80 Rumme

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago79
    Do you not get EP or some sort of discount working at the shop? You have to pay full retail?
    I'm sure he gets EP, but he listed the retail price range because he's not allowed to say his EP price.

I live in Denver, there are lots of used bikes for sale around here. Lots of racers ride them for one year and sell them for a brand new one.

But I know Specialized has some darn good EP pricing so you'll probably be better off that way. If you're on a budget a Big will do just fine. I just looked at the specs, get the Big Hit II. Much better build especially because it comes with a DHX 4.0 instead of a Vanilla.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If your shop can get mongoose, your best bet is probably a Boot'r. The big-hits are fine, but I think they're more freeride oriented than DH oriented. The 2010 boot'r has an MSRP of 2,999, come spec'd with a boxxer race, and is slacker and lower than the big-hit, more travel. Overall it's a more DH-friendly package that fits in your price range.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    that boot'r looks pretty decent with a good parts spec. I'll see if i can actually get a mongoose or not and I'll do a lot more research too. How much do they weigh? how reliable are they? what's mongoose's customer service like?

'80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alex55
    that boot'r looks pretty decent with a good parts spec. I'll see if i can actually get a mongoose or not and I'll do a lot more research too. How much do they weigh? how reliable are they? what's mongoose's customer service like?
    I'm pretty sure weight was in the low 40's on last year's model. My bike weighs closer to 48-49 lbs and it felt much lighter than that. My riding buddy was on one all of last season. His was spec'd differently, with a Roco and an 888 RCV, but he never had any problems with the frame (and he weighs at least 250 lbs). The suspension system is pretty cool too, one of the few designs that gives you a rearward wheelpath.

Several people that post here and on Ridemonkey have owned them. A few guys that were on team VonCooper last year ran them and I'm pretty sure they were fairly happy.

Big Test Icycles
    From what I have learned from friends in the LBS is that there are plenty of builders who will give you as a shop a pro deal on a frame or a bike. I would look into that as well rather than just buying what your shop sells. I know that a LBS near me sells Trek and Spec and some of the guys ride Transition, that they get direct. Its worth a try.

mtbr member
    If you work in a specialized shop then you have access to the specialized scratch and dent list. I know a guy who worked at a specialized dealer and he was able to get a brand new 07 bighit that retailed for about $2500 for $900 because it had a tiny scratch on it. If yuo dont know about the scratch and dent list contact your specialized rep

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    Yeah i know about the scratch and dent bikes (actually called blem bikes). There are usually some good deals on there. currently there is a demo 7 medium i think bu i think i would need a large since im 6'1". Also there are some big hit frames for super cheap but they are all smalls. I'll see what i can find about pro deals from other companies. that would be pretty cool if i could get a deal on a transition or something.

'80 Rumme

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    If i really could get a pro deal on a transition, what do you guys think of the transition blindside? I know it's suppose to be more of a FR bike but its way cheaper than the TR450 and I think it would probably be more fun on jumps and stuff. idk. what do you think? is it good as a race bike?

'80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Get the TR450. Remember that you are probably going to have this bike for a while. The faster you get, the more you will appreciate that bike over a blindside.

Big Test Icycles
    I think the Blindside is a solid bike that if set up correctly can be raced. Up until Transition had a dedicated race frame the BS was their go to bike. There have been plenty of great reviews on it and people on the Transition board stand behind it. It's worth taking a look at if you are on a budget.

Glad to Be Alive
    honestly with EP pricing I would be getting this bike from KHS

same geomtry as the Intense M-1...KHS buys the bike from same manufacture as Azonic did with the Recoil. I rode the Recoil 3 years and loved it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    what they say is true. as long as theres not a dealer in town, most will sell ep direct. the chances of a tranny dealer in iowa is slim. trust me, im not far west of ya. wanna ride a dhr? slip over to sioux city come thaw and ill hook ya up. may even have a few well priced used spares if ya chose to build custom. my home shop is almost as well stocked as my real shop. id suggest a new dhr but those dont yet exist so that bs would be sweet!

you missed out on some stupid good deals at frostbikes scratch and dent table. nabbed a set of fox launch pads and some other nice stuff so cheap i kept lookin for the cops.

pm me if i can help
    No, I'm NOT back!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    You said you could possibly get a Mongoose? I work at a shop too and I can tell you that the EP price on the Bootr team is that sickest deal for the money.. I rode one for 2 years and have been soo stoked on it, great bike and such a sick deal..I wanted a 2010 bootr team but Decided on a Mongoose Khyber Am bike insteed.. and A Med demo still would have been ok for you smaller but more nimble.. just keep checking up on the blem list if you dont want the Bootr team.. but My vote is 150% bootr team..

Living the High Life
    If i really could get a pro deal on a transition, what do you guys think of the transition blindside? I know it's suppose to be more of a FR bike but its way cheaper than the TR450 and I think it would probably be more fun on jumps and stuff. idk. what do you think? is it good as a race bike?
    I know a pro that went form a Bindside to a Commencal Supreme DH (similar geometry to a TR450) and he really liked the Commy better. Both that and the TR 450 have a better linkage, lower center of gravity, adjustable head angle and longer wheel base.

I have a Commy right now, great bike but its pricey. Next year I may go the TR450 route if I can afford it, I definitely cannot afford another Supreme DH. I figure 2 years racing a frame is good but I can probably get 3 out of it.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Just remember that you may not have as good a hookup in college and post college that you do now. I would find a way (second job, sell stuff etc.) to save extra cash and get the best bike you can.

And because you are getting EP, why go used?

mtbr member

Check Your Pm!!!

Yeah i know about the scratch and dent bikes (actually called blem bikes). There are usually some good deals on there. currently there is a demo 7 medium i think bu i think i would need a large since im 6'1". Also there are some big hit frames for super cheap but they are all smalls. I'll see what i can find about pro deals from other companies. that would be pretty cool if i could get a deal on a transition or something.
    This baby is a large! Sent you a PM>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails racing with limited budget-stab-small.jpg  

Last edited by breckseth; 02-26-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: didnt upload photo
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    My budget is like 2-3k retail. i would really like a demo 8 but the cheapest one is $3700. I haven't had the best luck with used bikes so i would kind of like something new but i'll look into those.
    Didn't you say you work at a shop that sells Specialized? Can you not do an employee purchase on one?
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    This baby is a large! Sent you a PM>
    honestly ...the stab is no where near the bike a rebadge KHS DH200...the suspension is so much smoother through rough stuff then the stab
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I've got an '09 Boot'r, and while I've only got a few rides on it so far, I've been pretty impressed. The '10 looks like a great bike too, and even if you don't get the Team version, you can easily upgrade to higher-end components as you see fit.

Big Hits are great bikes too--I have an older one--but as someone else noted, the Boot'r is probably more race-worthy.

mtbr member

Khs

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    honestly ...the stab is no where near the bike a rebadge KHS DH200...the suspension is so much smoother through rough stuff then the stab

Holy friggin Wal-Mart batmat. Thats all I have to say about that.

www.breckepic.com

mtbr member

I do have more to say...

actually> How many World Cup podiums have been captured abourd a KHS? Besides Melissa Buel, with whom there is little competition.
    Kona Stab's carried Fabian Barrel to multiple WC podiums, as well as my girl Tracey Mosely for starters.
    NO offense, but KHS is bargain basement crap

www.breckepic.com

Glad to Be Alive
    actually> How many World Cup podiums have been captured abourd a KHS? Besides Melissa Buel, with whom there is little competition.
    Kona Stab's carried Fabian Barrel to multiple WC podiums, as well as my girl Tracey Mosely for starters.
    NO offense, but KHS is bargain basement crap
    you put sedrick garcia, sam hill or steve peat on the DH200 and they would be on the podium.

If Fabien and Tracey Mosely were on DH200 they would have podiums too

I have rode the stab and have rode the Azonic Recoil (now KHS gets from same catalog). The suspension is smoother on the KHS DH200

personally I don't like the lock out of the rear end which tends to bounce in the rough stuff. The KHS will track better

mtbr member

Bike not the rider? no.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    you put sedrick garcia, sam hill or steve peat on the DH200 and they would be on the podium.

If Fabien and Tracey Mosely were on DH200 they would have podiums too

I have rode the stab and have rode the Azonic Recoil (now KHS gets from same catalog). The suspension is smoother on the KHS DH200

personally I don't like the lock out of the rear end which tends to bounce in the rough stuff. The KHS will track better
    OF course its the rider not the bike, but I'll stand my ground with a well informed opinion myself> KHS = **** barge. And Azonic? Really> next you'll being singing praise on the Mongoose Boot'r

www.breckepic.com

Glad to Be Alive
    OF course its the rider not the bike, but I'll stand my ground with a well informed opinion myself> KHS = **** barge. And Azonic? Really> next you'll being singing praise on the Mongoose Boot'r
    so instead of talking about merits of kona's suspension, which lacks, you choose to attack that the bike is bought off a catalog in tawain....hmm what is funny Giant and Specailize have their bikes made in tawain too

furthermore....my stinky (less then a year) and a friend's bike were not warrantied by kona. Both buy a new frame from them for more money then you could get at wheelworld.com. Furthermore Azonic has always taken care of me....makes you wonder why buy a kona?? those are facts

mtbr member

Easy tiger

whoosa there bro. I didn't realize you had an expectaion or prescribed manner in which you thought I was starting or responding to an argument> But fair questions:
    First, I worked in a Kona / Orbea / Salsa / KHS shop and built, sold and rode all of the above from road to DH.
    1st> Merit of the suspension design: KONA = 4 BAR or truly to be fair, "Fo" bar. Sure, it is really a single pivot b/c the bottom swing arm has no link between the rear axle and the front pivot or bearing on the down or seat tube. Fair, but it works! And, you add in the floating brake, which helps a sh*t ton to keep the rear end active under braking and you've got a solid, work horse suspension.
    2nd> Taiwan? Dont recall that I attacked them? I never said that Taiwan tubes were bad. I said that KHS made crap. Taiwan makes some of the best tubes on the market, hands down.
    3rd> I rode grassroots for Kona for 3 years; once cracked a brand new swing arm (bad weld)> called Kona & they sent we a new one right then, "send us the cracked one when you get the new one" & I didnt even name drop! It was just "hey, this is so and so from bla bla shop; I have a customer here with a crack in his swing arm.
    I've seen Kona warranty 3 year old, out of warranty 2nd owner cracked scandium.
    There is a bad story for every bike co. I suppose & that sux that you got shafted w/ Kona, but you sir are the first I've ever heard of.
    You wanted facts, there you go.
    Have a great day!

www.breckepic.com

Glad to Be Alive
    whoosa there bro. I didn't realize you had an expectaion or prescribed manner in which you thought I was starting or responding to an argument> But fair questions:
    First, I worked in a Kona / Orbea / Salsa / KHS shop and built, sold and rode all of the above from road to DH.
    1st> Merit of the suspension design: KONA = 4 BAR or truly to be fair, "Fo" bar. Sure, it is really a single pivot b/c the bottom swing arm has no link between the rear axle and the front pivot or bearing on the down or seat tube. Fair, but it works! And, you add in the floating brake, which helps a sh*t ton to keep the rear end active under braking and you've got a solid, work horse suspension.
    2nd> Taiwan? Dont recall that I attacked them? I never said that Taiwan tubes were bad. I said that KHS made crap. Taiwan makes some of the best tubes on the market, hands down.
    3rd> I rode grassroots for Kona for 3 years; once cracked a brand new swing arm (bad weld)> called Kona & they sent we a new one right then, "send us the cracked one when you get the new one" & I didnt even name drop! It was just "hey, this is so and so from bla bla shop; I have a customer here with a crack in his swing arm.
    I've seen Kona warranty 3 year old, out of warranty 2nd owner cracked scandium.
    There is a bad story for every bike co. I suppose & that sux that you got shafted w/ Kona, but you sir are the first I've ever heard of.
    You wanted facts, there you go.
    Have a great day!
    the Dh200 is a Tawain bike rebadged by KHS....the bike has been being built since 2003...a great design that works...so it isn't your cheap KHS (by the way I am not a fan of their bikes but love the DH200)

ask trailbait about his experiences with kona

mtbr member
    Buy a Huffy!!!

mtbr member
    Don't forget to budget for insurance premiums if you're going to race as inevitably there will be tumbles and scrapes and god forbid, fractures. Hopefully your college/university offers a good deal on student insurance plans.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    thanks guys for all the help. You're right; i probably wont be able to get such good deals once i go to college so i might be willing to spend a little more. I might have to get an additional job to be able to afford it but thats ok with me. it'll be worth it.

'80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't know how sure you are about attending CSM, but if you do end up going there, a local shop (golden bike shop) gives the team some pretty great deals..

btw, if you have any questions about CSM in particular, let me know. I'm a senior undergrad there right now..

Members who have read this thread: 0