RaceFace/Roach Knee-shin guards, Breathe well?- Mtbr.com
    Ridin' AZ..
    Aug 2004

RaceFace/Roach Knee-shin guards, Breathe well?

Hey all, last weekend I was hitting some of the dirt jump by my house (pretty nicem about 6' tall) and as usualy I crashed later on in the day. I landed funky then bailed slash super man dove down the side of the jump and skinned my knee up. It was nothing serious but considering I run cross country for my High Schoool, knees that hurt at all are no fun to run on. And of course I crashed 3 days before a meet (but since I'm a stud I finished 1st place out of my schools JV team ), so I've decided to look into knee-shin guards.

I searched around the board and read that the Race Face/Roach Rally DH/FR are pretty nice. From what I've heard they are easy to pedal in, fit well, are comfortable, etc. But, considering Arizona has such "lovely" spring and summer months I definitely need pads that are going to breathe atleast a little bit. I was looking at some Rock Garden's where you slide this elastic like sleeve over your leg then attach the pads to it, and I have a feeling they'd be extremely hot.

So, does anyone with first hand experience or no someone with the Roach/Race Face pads? If so, do they breathe fairly well?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=PG703C03

For $35 they dont look too bad. I am about 6' even right now, but am pretty dam skinny so I think I should just stick with a large so I dont have armor that is way too wide for me. And at the tallest I think I'll be 6' 2" so I dont think having a L instead of an XL would be too big of a deal (they're size charts say 5' 8"-6' should get a L and 6'+ should get a XL). Hopefully I can find a bike shop that carries pads to try them out..

If you have any suggestions on what you like I'd be glad to hear them

mtbr member
    That link you posted is to arm guards not knee/shin

BUT! I do have the knee shin you speak of and have worn them in 90 degree weather. They breathe pretty well, I'm not gonna say they breathe anything like not wearing pads but they are very bareable and after wearing them a ride or two you won't even know you're wearing them on the next ride outs.

They offer a shitload of protection too, im pretty confident that someone could slam a hammer down as hard as they wished on the shin and id feel like nothing more than a tickle.

Finaly, theyre amazing for peddling, other than the price... no complaints about the pads from me.

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    i have a pair of the DH ones. very good pads. they dont get too hot, and the pedal pretty good. the best pads i ever used

Ridin' AZ..
    Aug 2004
    They sound good to me, $55, but it will be worth it when I decide to superman slide into rocks again and look down and dont see my knees all torn up Also gives you more "confidence" when your jumping, might pick up some elbow pads too just to be uber safe lol.

And for $360 or so my Raleigh Ram 2.0 is doing fine, hits the 6' doubles like a champ! But, I plan on buying a DJ oriented bike like one of the Haros, maybe the Specialized P1, Kona Roast, etc.

Thanks for the posts, and how well do the pads fit you guys? And what size are you wearing? Like I said I am 6' and pretty darn skinny, so Im hoping the larges will be ok.
    Thanks!
    -AZRider-

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    I have the Roach Rally DH. They breathe remarkably well for the coverage they have. The padding inside has air channels in it. They cover more and breathe better than the 661 pads I had. I'm nothing but pleased and would buy them again.

That said, they're still considerably warmer than no pads at all (but considerably less painful in event of crash as well).

mtbr member
    I thought I had skinny legs and I bought the XL's cause im 6'2" and the straps fit fine if not a little bit too small... theyre not made for fat legs

Ridin' AZ..
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the heads up sacrifice!!! I figure I might as well buy the XL's because chances are I will grow into them if I am not already past 6'. Haven't measured my height in a long time..

So, looks like I will go w/the Roach DH pads! After that I need to buy The Collective and a DJ/URban oriented bike ..