R.I.P. The Farm- Mtbr.com

Thread: R.I.P. The Farm

mtbr member

R.I.P. The Farm

Plowed flat. Thanks to everyone who called me up in the last couple days. You know this ain't the first time I have had a dream trail destroyed for some bull$hit reason. I learned a lot about as$ clowns on this one.
    The Farm 2 has already begun at a new location. 4 times the size.
    Look for it to be ripping by fall. Me, my boy Gramderham, Grantels, T-roy, and Tracktor shredder Robby will make it happen.

The Farm #1 vid will be up real soon. Here is a vid still of me ZD.

OG
    That seriously blows, The Farm looked sick as hell! Sorry for your loss.

-Nate

mtbr member
    That's a real bummer man, sorry to hear it. Story though?

mtbr member
    I thought it was on the property of someone you know? Sorry to hear that.
    22Pride

moaaar shimz
    What happened??????????? wtf

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    What happened??????????? wtf
    "plowed flat"

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    "plowed flat"

yeah, but why?!?

that's suxxorz tho, ZD...that place was pimp.

Peace Coast Style
    Dang dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

Disco-Superfly
    another one waiting on the story
    that's retarded
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member

Long story short.

Insurance.
    I learned a hard lesson.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    Insurance.
    I learned a hard lesson.
    Same reason why John Cowan had to plow his backyard trails.

My arm hurts a little
    Nooooo!!!! I couldn't even look at your post's because that place was so sick. That suck's.

Insurance sucks, I know because I work it everyday. Ins. Co. def. don't like jump farms on something there insuring.

Big Tip!!!! Never build by any of the house locations, Barns, Stalls, Main House, Guest House.

Always Always build away from your property were the jumps can't be seen from the buildings or by asshat adjusters.

This even goes for pumptracks.
    Last edited by #1ORBUST; 07-12-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    My condolences. The Farm was an inspiring sight.

Just roll it......
    Insurance.
    I learned a hard lesson.
    Bummer dude!

Similar to Cowan. Insurance companies, it seems, don't like big dirt jumps on property they insure. Since the "farm" is also an operating orchard/business, I assume it would've had an impact on their rates or, more likely, would've had their insurance discontinued. Liability laws in the US are the reasons for this BS. If people in our country could take responsibility for themselves and didn't sue everytime they had their pants go missing, we might not be where we are.....

EB

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Bummer dude!

Similar to Cowan. Insurance companies, it seems, don't like big dirt jumps on property they insure. Since the "farm" is also an operating orchard/business, I assume it would've had an impact on their rates or, more likely, would've had their insurance discontinued. Liability laws in the US are the reasons for this BS. If people in our country could take responsibility for themselves and didn't sue everytime they had their pants go missing, we might not be where we are.....

EB
    Very very very good analogy. Couldn't have thought of a better one. The judge that brought th' "pants suit",
    pun intended, should be disbarred from practicing law.

Sad about the Farm, ridin' & riders have been killah. The same thing happened at our local park where the stunts & stuff had been for 7yrs or more where suddenly deemed a "liability". I didn't have th' nads to hit a 10th of what was there, but they really screwed everyone over when they tore it all out. Like Zach said though, he learned from this, at least next time he'll have this experience to draw from.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

General Rabble-Rouser

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Insurance companies are such a joke

The only thing they insure is their own profits....Bastards....

Farm pics were always a primo treat!
    Looking forward to V2

Hisforever

The US blows!

anyone and everyone who sues. you suck.

theres a time and a place to sue. 95% of the time is redonkulous

get a clue losers

mtbr member
    Bummer dude!

EB
    thats why my goal is to move to canada

e-misanthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST
    Nooooo!!!! I couldn't even look at your post's because that place was so sick. That suck's.

Insurance sucks, I know because I work it everyday. Ins. Co. def. don't like jump farms on something there insuring.

Big Tip!!!! Never build by any of the house locations, Barns, Stalls, Main House, Guest House.

Always Always build away from your property were the jumps can't be seen from the buildings or by asshat adjusters.

This even goes for pumptracks to.
    Thanks for the info - I have 35 acres and will be building up there soon (nothing on the scale of the farm, of course) - I'd be more than a little pissed if I spent the last 2 years working to move out of the f@cking suburbs away from all of my whining b1tch @ss neighbors - only to have an insurance co. tell me what I can and can't build.

That sucks Zach
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    anyone and everyone who sues. you suck.
    theres a time and a place to sue. 95% of the time is redonkulous
    Unfortunately, there's an ambulance-chasing attorney on every tv station, billboard, magazine, etc. that is asking "If you've been in a car accident, then call me" around every turn.

Honestly, our legal system is a joke when it comes to lawsuits. The crap that they let into a courtroom is ridiculous. Even if someone is totally innocent, it could bankrupt them to defend themselves, so they're often forced to settle "out of court" which means they disallow anything that was related to the previous lawsuit. There's a real movement for tort reforms in the US, but the lawmakers will only listen to those who pay their campaign bills (corporations). Why should they care about this when most of them are attorneys to begin with and the law lobby has a ton of money.

In the end, it means that areas like the farm are plowed, US ski areas are afraid to have DH biking on their land, USFS and state land managers are afraid of stunts and jumps on trails and we have less areas to ride (or are forced to build under the radar).

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Zach, sorry to hear that man. I know that place must have taken alot of dedication and work. Keep building!

Look at the time!
    Unfortunately, there's an ambulance-chasing attorney on every tv station, billboard, magazine, etc. that is asking "If you've been in a car accident, then call me" around every turn.

plus, even if the injured person doesn't sue himself, his health insurance might do it to get the money for the medical treatment back, without him even knowing it. So when you health insurance company asks you were you crashed, think about your answer.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

moaaar shimz
    Its silly. I wouldn't live in the US and one of the reasons is lawsuits for everything. My folk is a Doctor and he says that he could get a good job position in the US but just paying for sueing insurance and the hassle of a lawsuit for any detail makes him step away from that idea...

Lawyers are just doiing their job, but the system isnt as good as it could be..

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Same reason why John Cowan had to plow his backyard trails.
    Yeah I went to my first and last Cowan jump jam last year. Then I read what happened in Decline magazie. Freaking sucks. OH well at least I got some good pics and vid.

I wonder if he's holding one this year.

Now with flavor!!
    F#$%ck!!!!!!!!!
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

keystone addict
    Insurance.
    I learned a hard lesson.

would you mind telling us the whole story?

Man, i've always enjoyed your pics of that place. I feel for ya, man...
    I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowpug
    Keep building!
    Like i would ever quit building. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Do it with style
    Like i would ever quit building. You ain't seen nothing yet.
    ZACH i cry inside everytime i see this..your building iz insperation to all of us ..it's just sad that we can't go out and have fun how ever we want......we except the risk......i wonder if you could get the same insurance a skate park has to cover jumps at private property..probably not...you know it's bad when cowan has to plow his jumps and it's what he does for a living........sorry to hear about the loss......

East Coast Style
    ugh man the US blows. Sorry to hear about the farm man, saw all the pics from it n you guys ripped that place up. But sounds like you have better plans for an even bigger better setup. cant wait to see where you go with it dude
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    YAAY usa. FREEDOM FRIES for everyone.
    Lame ZD. No matter how many times it happens it still feels like they are taking a piece of you. Im sorry that happened!
    It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose!

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Its silly. I wouldn't live in the US and one of the reasons is lawsuits for everything. My folk is a Doctor and he says that he could get a good job position in the US but just paying for sueing insurance and the hassle of a lawsuit for any detail makes him step away from that idea...

Lawyers are just doiing their job, but the system isnt as good as it could be..
    My mother in law has been a doctor for 35 years. She has owned a practice for 25. She had NEVER had a problem with money until about 5 years ago. Her malpractice rates have gone up so much in those five years she may have to shut her doors. She has NEVER had a claim her entire career. The other thing is that all the illegals robbing her blind. She can't refuse them treatment or she can be sued for discrimination... WTF?
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear Zach....truely sucks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Trying a little
    a smart man said the two absolute biggest bullsh*t industries on the planet are diamonds and insurance.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Can I Borrow Some Style?
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    a smart man said the two absolute biggest bullsh*t industries on the planet are diamonds and insurance.
    ..................and oil. Freakin-a Zach, your pictures of that place blew my mind. I know your new ones are going to be even sweeter though. I am ready for some more good pictures!
    Passion is what we all need, the rest is secondary.
    Yeah I ride fixed on occasion, get over it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    rip that place was insperation for my own mini farm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    dude that sucks but looks on the bright side. now you have reason to build better jumps. Cant wait to see whats next

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtahoe
    The other thing is that all the illegals robbing her blind. She can't refuse them treatment or she can be sued for discrimination... WTF?

america's cancer.....

oops cant say that!!!! sh!t now I'm a racist!!!!!
    I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

mtbr member
    Actually insurance companies run on a VERY tight margin (less than the vast majority of businesses), the only reason they charge a lot is because they have to pay out a lot. Why should they be expected to lose money? Other businesses are allowed to make a profit, in fact bike companies probably do much better. Insurance just isn't glamorous or any fun, so everybody hates it. (and I'm not in insurance, but I've seen the numbers)

I suspect the problem here wasn't that the insurance company "made" anyone plow the jumps, but rather the policy would have had to be upgraded to account for the extra risk and the landowner didn't want to pay the extra money - so out came the plow. If the riders stepped up and paid for the extra cost (did they offer?), the jumps would probably still exist.

Pay for insurance yourself or pay for it via high taxes, somebody's gotta pay for everything. There is no "free lunch" in any country.
    Craig Kelly is my copilot.Product Marketing and Product Photographer

mtbr member
    I do agree with the diamond thing, worthless bits of rock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks

I suspect the problem here wasn't that the insurance company "made" anyone plow the jumps, but rather the policy would have had to be upgraded to account for the extra risk and the landowner didn't want to pay the extra money - so out came the plow. If the riders stepped up and paid for the extra cost (did they offer?), the jumps would probably still exist.
    You suspect wrong.

mtbr member
    Actually insurance companies run on a VERY tight margin (less than the vast majority of businesses), the only reason they charge a lot is because they have to pay out a lot. Why should they be expected to lose money? Other businesses are allowed to make a profit, in fact bike companies probably do much better. Insurance just isn't glamorous or any fun, so everybody hates it. (and I'm not in insurance, but I've seen the numbers)

Pay for insurance yourself or pay for it via high taxes, somebody's gotta pay for everything. There is no "free lunch" in any country.

Yeah but why do they have to pay out a lot?

The entire healthcare system in this nation is ludacris.

24 grand to stay overnight at a hospital and get my appendix out?
    Since we're insured we pay like 500, but if you're not insured you pay the whole amount?

And why does insurance have to be a business? Look at Canada.
    Then again, here we can have millions of dollars of MRI equipment etc. at every hospital and lots of doctors' offices, something that's less prevalent in Canada.

Anyway, sucks about the Farm zach.... the next one's gunna be even sicker :-P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    Yeah but why do they have to pay out a lot?
    To cover the outrageous costs of treating illegals and those who haven't yet signed up for our free state and national health care plans. (Yes the US already has free health care for households with income under about $32K, don't believe the BS spread by politicians trying to score election points.)

Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    And why does insurance have to be a business? Look at Canada.
    Exactly right, look at Canada. Despite having a "national health care plan", 80% of it's citizens pay for private health insurance (because the national plan isn't good enough). So most citizens pay twice: once through taxes for the inefficient national system and 80% pay again for personal insurance. Similar situation in England and Scotland.

I pay for my own health insurance, it's about $120 a month for a pretty good plan.

But some would rather buy 20" wheels for their expensive SUVs, or fancy houses, or women getting their nails done, or nice restaurants, etc. And young males in particular think they're bulletproof and would rather spend that money on beer/toys/chicks. Point is, a lot of folks who complain that the US doesn't have national health care could easily be buying it themselves but choose not to, and for a lot less than the IRS will soon be taking out of their paycheck once we have a plan for middle and upper class households. But we can't seem to take care of ourselves, so Uncle Sam will have to do it for us at great expense. Guess why? Even our "national" plans aren't really administered by the Fed, they're bid on by - you guessed it - the big insurance companies. So next we'll have an extra layer of cost: the Fed's administrative cost + the used-to-be-private premiums + a little extra 'cuz now it's a government program. So more expense and less service than you get right now. Sounds great, bring on "national" health care...

Don't get me wrong, that sucks about the Farm. Just trying to shed some light on the issues.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 07-16-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Reels & Wheels
    To cover the outrageous costs of treating illegals and those who haven't yet signed up for our free state and national health care plans. (Yes the US already has free health care for households with income under about $32K, don't believe the BS spread by politicians trying to score election points.).
    Don't believe 1000-Oaks BS. Don't blame the costs of treating illegal aliens, that is what the Republicans want you to beleive. Don't give in to racist, herd mentality.

Most illegals who work here for a long run actually pay taxes using stolen/borrowed/etc. Social Security numbers. When many of us legals get some money back at the end of the year after filling taxes, they don't. Our government makes a killing of these people (I have seen those numerbs too).

The US really does not "want" to take care of the illegal problem. We need those people. How many Americans do you know that would go out and bust their asses doing the work that migrant workers do? I do not see too many Americans down at the Home Depots and U-Hauls lining up for the low-paying hard work.

And why should a person who pays $100-250 a month for Health Insurance have to resort to using lower quality (in this country atleast) free care when they have paid for the better quality care?

Bummer about the Farm, though. You guys need to hit up Six Flags to sponsor one of your thrill rides.
    http://viralvectormedia.com
    home of the infectious arts

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8cam
    Don't believe 1000-Oaks BS. Don't blame the costs of treating illegal aliens, that is what the Republicans want you to beleive. Don't give in to racist, herd mentality.
    FFS, I can't believe how stupid people still are in this country.
    Blaming the illegals is about as ignorant as it gets. It's like the other lie they like to parrot, blaming the healthcare crisis on lawyers......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, that's pretty lame. So it would appear that the ONLY place to build jumps legally and not fear demolition by insurance squeeze would be on a privately owned UNIMPROVED(re: no structures) lot of land.

mtbr member
    Ya, insurance companies run on real thin margins.....That's why one of them is the 16th most profitable company in the world last year......

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...ortune/16.html

moaaar shimz
    Mmmm this thread is going away from the OT but nevertheless I'll give my 2 cents..

As a Mexican I can see your side of the story and "our" side of the story, but dont blame illegals for the expensive healthcare systems and such. I believe we humans look at each other in a very selfish and inhumane way. For example if you go to a town in Oaxaca, in the big Sierras you will find human beings which are living with maybe 20 or less dollars each month. Dont get me wrong here, its not something to be sorry about or to brag but this guys cant get a job because their educaion (which they could not do anything about because they had to work in fields etc as kids instead of going to school) and they are desesperate for a decent home or food. The only way to achieve this is to leave their country and migrate to the US in which consumism and capitalism (in general and my point of view) force Americans (why the fvck Americans? lets say U.S. citizens) to employ migrants with low salary and hard work to get that extra profit margin.

Beware I'm not bashing U.S. Citizens nor generalizing in a bad way, I'm just saying this guys who are living in a misery are sacrifying their lives, family, land etc just to get some bucks to send back to their countries and mantain their families. I would like the US Goverment to approve the migrant reform but I guess some people see them as a plague.

Burocracy and corruption is the weak point of democracy and every government suffers from it.

This is just MHO...

mtbr member
    It's pretty hard to be less "racist" than me, lol. I won't bother explaining why exactly, you'd have to get to know me and it would become crystal clear.

And why should a person who pays $100-250 a month for Health Insurance have to resort to using lower quality (in this country atleast) free care when they have paid for the better quality care?
    You'd be hard-pressed to find someone that couldn't reallocate $100 or $200 of monthly beer money, eating out money, cable TV money, designer clothes money, etc and put it toward health insurance. I made less than $30K last year, but I made insurance a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by AllOver
    Ya, insurance companies run on real thin margins.....That's why one of them is the 16th most profitable company in the world last year......

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...ortune/16.html
    AIG is a huge worldwide company, hardly California & Southwest US specific. How can AIG be compared to regional insurance companies and hospitals struggling with the illegal immigration issue?

Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    FFS, I can't believe how stupid people still are in this country.
    Blaming the illegals is about as ignorant as it gets. It's like the other lie they like to parrot, blaming the healthcare crisis on lawyers......
    Perhaps folks would actually have an educated opinion if they did some research on:

- Why many hospitals have closed in San Diego county, check out Texas too.

- How the ones that are still open (barely) overcharge the insurance companies, which spread the cost across premiums in other areas of the state.

But enough with derailing the thread, it's much easier to believe Moore's propaganda (that "herd" mentality) than research information that conflicts with what some groups want to believe.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 07-17-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Trying a little
    by herd mentality are you saying michael moore is a big, fat cow? that may be true. I think michael moore is ultimately responsible for these jumps getting ploughed.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Pro Crastinator
    i spend my money on good drugs, then i'm too high up to care about insurance...

mtbr member
    May 2007

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    by herd mentality are you saying michael moore is a big, fat cow? that may be true. I think michael moore is ultimately responsible for these jumps getting ploughed.
    His body would make for some good rollers

Reels & Wheels
    It's pretty hard to be less "racist" than me, lol. I won't bother explaining why exactly, you'd have to get to know me and it would become crystal clear.

- How the ones that are still open (barely) overcharge the insurance companies, which spread the cost across premiums in other areas of the state.
    Not saying you are a racist, as I do not know you personally. But those "facts" come from a political agenda that uses this country's racism to get things done. Just like republicans use the abortion issue to win over relisous zealouts. Do you really think they give a shyt about what is going on in your girl's womb?

Sounds like you need to take issue with Hospitals. which are usually owned/managed by American citizens, not illegal aliens.
    http://viralvectormedia.com
    home of the infectious arts

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by 1000-oaks
    How can AIG be compared to regional insurance companies
    Who are these supposed "mom and pop" insurance companies? Are you mistakenly referring to insurance BROKERS maybe? I can see them maybe running on small margins, but the major insurors make money hand over fist, then piss and moan and lobby Washington for a bailout when it's time for them to pay out, a la Katrina.

Then they call you/your home/your car/your state etc. uninsurable and either bump up the premium insanely or stop writing policies for that thing all together because now it's too, "High Risk", even though it's just as risky as when they originally took your money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    I can see them maybe running on small margins, but the major insurors make money hand over fist, then piss and moan and lobby Washington for a bailout when it's time for them to pay out, a la Katrina.

Then they call you/your home/your car/your state etc. uninsurable and either bump up the premium insanely or stop writing policies for that thing all together because now it's too, "High Risk", even though it's just as risky as when they originally took your money.
    Actually the way it went down is citizens who didn't have flood insurance (you have to pay extra for flood insurance, it's normally separate from standard homeowner's insurance) pissed and moaned to Washington when Katrina flooded them out, so the Fed forced the insurance companies to pay even those who DIDN'T have flood insurance.

How F-d up is that? The insurance companies got shafted BIG-TIME, so of course they have to drive premiums through the roof or pull out of an area completely. Would you stay somewhere where you were legally robbed? And easily could be again? Talk about high-risk - now they have to pull out or charge the insured enough to cover all of the uninsured. (hmmm, sound familar?)

And it's not like the insurance companies are privately owned by a few greedy people - they're publicly traded like most companies. If insurance companies are getting so rich, why don't we all own stock in insurance companies? It would be a no-brainer.

Sounds like you need to take issue with Hospitals. which are usually owned/managed by American citizens, not illegal aliens.
    SoCal hospitals regularly overcharge the insurance companies to cover all of the free care they give to illegals; they're not doing it to make extra money. Example: I lived in El Paso for three years and it's common knowledge there that there's a unofficial system to get Mexican women ready to give birth across the border and up to the El Paso hospital. They have the child, then return to Mexico via the same "railroad". Guess who gets stuck with the bill for the thousands of deliveries per year?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 07-17-2007 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    No insurance company was ever forced to pay out on flood damage to anybody that didn't have flood insurance. That only happens on Fox news.

The issue I believe you are alluding to is the many, many people who had their roofs ripped off by the wind, and then their house soaked out by the rain.

The insurance companies decided, as a group, that they would try to deny these claims. The last I read on this issue, it was going before a federal court to decide whether or not these incidents constitute "flood damage" or not, and whether they should be covered by the normal homeowners policy. I will not debate the idiocy of living below sea level with no flood insurance rider on your home owner's policy.

Taxpayers are footing the bill for the uninsured, and we'll ultimately get stuck with a huge percentage of the bill for the insured as well, that's the American way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    No insurance company was ever forced to pay out on flood damage to anybody that didn't have flood insurance.
    I stand corrected, the lawsuits against the insurance companies were tossed out so they weren't forced to pay the flood uninsured.

This is probably a thread for the lounge...

mtbr member
    Shut up about insurance. It's making my head hurt.

Members who have read this thread: 0