R Crossmax Enduros really that bad?- Mtbr.com
    USB Rep'n

R Crossmax Enduros really that bad?

The reviews seem to say that these suck bung (at least the freehub does). I found a good deal on some and was about to spring for em when I read the reviews, should I reall stay away or has the problem been fixed?..Got me thinking about some other options like DT 340's laced to 6.1d's. I can get those for under $400, any thoughts on those since there are no reviews of the hubs at all. I could always pay half that and get some Outlaws but they are a full pound heavier and Im already thinking the 6.1's might be too much since I only weigh 160. WCH, you love the Outlaws dont ya?
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The CrossMax Enduro is not is the same usage class as the Outlaw wheels or 6.1 rims. It is more of a hard use trail wheelset.

The DT 340 hubs use the same basic internals as the 240 and 440 hubs at a lower price.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The CrossMax Enduro is not is the same usage class as the Outlaw wheels or 6.1 rims. It is more of a hard use trail wheelset.

The DT 340 hubs use the same basic internals as the 240 and 440 hubs at a lower price.
    Thanks Shigs. I need something in between I think. Basically a hard trail/light FR (drops of less than 6') wheelset. That said, it sounds like the DT340/6.1 are my best but (maybe overkill though). The DT5.1 rims would be perfect if I could get them through my deal but they aren't available right now.

I am fairly light at 160 or so and ride pretty smoothly. Maybe I could get away with the Crossmax's. I just dont want to be taking them in every other week for service, ya know.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    The reviews seem to say that these suck bung (at least the freehub does). I found a good deal on some and was about to spring for em when I read the reviews, should I reall stay away or has the problem been fixed?..Got me thinking about some other options like DT 340's laced to 6.1d's. I can get those for under $400, any thoughts on those since there are no reviews of the hubs at all. I could always pay half that and get some Outlaws but they are a full pound heavier and Im already thinking the 6.1's might be too much since I only weigh 160. WCH, you love the Outlaws dont ya?
    for a little more dollars you might want to look into thhe hadley/823 build and go tubeless...still a very strong rim...no problems with my 06's and I am running 215 pounds
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Now with flavor!!
    Thanks Shigs. I need something in between I think. Basically a hard trail/light FR (drops of less than 6') wheelset. That said, it sounds like the DT340/6.1 are my best but (maybe overkill though). The DT5.1 rims would be perfect if I could get them through my deal but they aren't available right now.

I am fairly light at 160 or so and ride pretty smoothly. Maybe I could get away with the Crossmax's. I just dont want to be taking them in every other week for service, ya know.
    Yeah shigs is right. I've got a crossmax enduro on my xc bike. I would have one on the front but I have to use a proprietary hub for my fork.

They're good wheels, light and really strong for their weight but they're not something you want to beat the crap out of.

All mavic hubs require fairly regular rebuilds. I do mine about twice a year. It's easy to do and if you don't you'll just get drag and a neat dying rodent noise. There's a little plastic seal on the freehub body that just needs lube.

Since you're posting on the dh board, I'd say you'd want something a little more stout anyway.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I would get a custom built wheelset with standard components.

If/when the CrossMax wheels need service it is unlikely the LBS will have the parts in stock and/or the wheels may need to be sent to Mavic (weeks to months in the shop).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I would get a custom built wheelset with standard components.

If/when the CrossMax wheels need service it is unlikely the LBS will have the parts in stock and/or the wheels may need to be sent to Mavic (weeks to months in the shop).
    Your right again bud. I wound up buying some DT240's laced to the 4.1d rims. For a light guy like me, they should work very well for most trail applications. Im going to get a cheaper, beefy setup for DH/FR, probably something like the Outlaws.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Members who have read this thread: 0