quick release Skewer problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

quick release Skewer problem

so far i have tried the azonic skewers, cannondale skewers, settle cromoly skewers, and a joy tech (shimano style) so far the best one, but still losens up after a ride or two. The others losen up multiple times during a 15- 20 mile ride. all of them loosen up on me when i am riding my bike which is cannondale jekyll with an all mountain 1 fork. Has any one else had problems like this with these skewers? to me it seems little odd that am starting to collect skewers because they are all crap so far. If I bought some hope steel skewers would these be the last addition to my collection and solve my problem for good ?

ride hard take risks
    Worst luck i had with skewers i finally found a washer that didnt belong, cant remember where it was though. My back wheel came loose about every 3rd ride. Shimano is supposted to be 1 of the best.

Glad to Be Alive
    all DH'ers and FR'ers should switch to through axles period
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    is there any way to get a rear through axle for a bike w/ verticle drop outs? the closest thing i can think of to that is a 10mm bolt on axle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveclimbinghills
    so far i have tried the azonic skewers, cannondale skewers, settle cromoly skewers, and a joy tech (shimano style) so far the best one, but still losens up after a ride or two. The others losen up multiple times during a 15- 20 mile ride. all of them loosen up on me when i am riding my bike which is cannondale jekyll with an all mountain 1 fork. Has any one else had problems like this with these skewers? to me it seems little odd that am starting to collect skewers because they are all crap so far. If I bought some hope steel skewers would these be the last addition to my collection and solve my problem for good ?
    well if its front and rear both loosening up its you not the skewers. how about some pix of the skewers on your bike? i bet i can help you if you show me how you have them tightened and give me an explaination of your procedure for setting them up.
    i mean really skewers never really get loose on a trail bike like a jekyll unless its user error.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The front loosens up before the rear, but rear losens up first with the joy tech up front. I'm going to try some shimanos i swaped off my dads bike. Just wonding if any one else had problems with the none shimano type skewers listed above. As far as tightening the skewers they are tightened pointing up. so far its
    1. joy tech
    2. cannondale/settle
    3 azonic - ( they came with my outlaw wheels) my front wheel needed to be tighted 4 times during a 15 mile ride. I thought i might endup losing my wheel.

mtbr member
    The front loosens up before the rear, but rear losens up first with the joy tech up front. I'm going to try some shimanos i swaped off my dads bike. Just wonding if any one else had problems with the none shimano type skewers listed above. As far as tightening the skewers they are tightened pointing up. so far its
    1. joy tech
    2. cannondale/settle
    3 azonic - ( they came with my outlaw wheels) my front wheel needed to be tighted 4 times during a 15 mile ride. I thought i might endup losing my wheel.
    well try this:
    1. check your wheel bearings/cone adjustments. with your wheel tightened properly, grab the rim and try to move side to side. it should have no play. play means the bearings are out of adjustment OR your qr is not tightened properly.
    2. measure your frame and fork dropouts. fork should be 110mm and rear should be 135mm apart.
    3. compare your idea of a tight skewer to another persons bike that you have never touched. just from what your telling me i feel your not tightening them properly. the skewer should not just be tightened "up" as you describe. they need to be closed completely and not set up against the frame or fork.

when i tighten qr's here is my procedure:
    1. take bike off stand and place on ground.
    2. loosen qr and reset wheel.
    3. turn the knob on the skewer opposite the qr lever until its tight. try to close the qr lever. make sure that the angle you choose lets the qr close completely (a qr needs to be tightened a little past 90 degrees).
    4. usually thats a little too tight so i back off the knob slightly and try again.
    5. spin the wheel. if its way tight the bearings will not roll smooth.
    6. with index finger and thumb try to move rim side to side. play indicates too loose a qr OR a wheel that needs a bearing adjustment.

trust me although skewers are a basic bike part they are often not adjusted properly. thats why i ask that you tell us exactly how you tighten them and show us a pic of how they look on your bike. your not really giving enough info to fix the problem.
    as far as the skewers being a problem i doubt it. its you or the hubs. i have used all the skewers you mentioned plus steel bolt ons, etc. only one front skewer ever loosened up me and it was from dirt jumping multiple sessions without checking it (never freeride/dj on unchecked skewers). i have never loosened one on a trail ride.

because i have heard things about azonic outlaw wheel bearings it could be shot bearings.
    how old are the wheels? have you ever adjusted the cones? this is just a thought i still have never seen a qr loosen up from bearing issues but it can happen.

mtbr member

skewers

I quick fix would be the skewers with out a quick release.I've used these for years.Partly as an anti theift thing and you can't get the quick releae lever caught up on anything.You use an allen wrench to nut it down.I got an old secret 8 sided little ratchet for mine.I forgot the name of these things.

mtbr member
    shimano skewers have worked well for me, although i think one of the best inventions was the QR 20mm thru axle

ride hard take risks
    Ok where are the pic's???

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The azonic outlaws are brand new. I tighted the qr conversion thing before i put it on my bike. As far as pictures go ill get some tomarrow

pwn3rator
    i hate skewers so i decide to get bolt on axels. but i didn't have enough money so i through my skewers away welded my wheels on. it works great except when i get a flat...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    The azonic outlaws are brand new. I tighted the qr conversion thing before i put it on my bike. As far as pictures go ill get some tomarrow
    how does this setup work? it sounds like the qr conversion is the problem. give us the point by point breakdown of how you setup the wheel/converter/qr. i bet someone here with specific outlaw experience can help. i have never used the axle conversion setups on your wheels or mavic's.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    how does this setup work? it sounds like the qr conversion is the problem. give us the point by point breakdown of how you setup the wheel/converter/qr. i bet someone here with specific outlaw experience can help. i have never used the axle conversion setups on your wheels or mavic's.
    The QR conversion on the Outlaws is basically a 20mm tube that slides through the 20mm axle area (the spacers on either side for a 20mm setup come straight off) with endlet things that have holes the side of QR axles screwing into either end.

Sounds to me like user error...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    The QR conversion on the Outlaws is basically a 20mm tube that slides through the 20mm axle area (the spacers on either side for a 20mm setup come straight off) with endlet things that have holes the side of QR axles screwing into either end.

Sounds to me like user error...
    well thats what i thought (sounds similar to the marz qr20mm setup). its either the hubs or the user. and those hubs sound pretty simple.

OH $#!% TREE!
    well thats what i thought (sounds similar to the marz qr20mm setup). its either the hubs or the user. and those hubs sound pretty simple.
    \

is it the actual axel taht is comming loose? if it is tehn are u running 8 inch discs on ur brakes, qr axels and 8inch discs dont mix, i had them on my bike when i first got it and there was so much power from the disc that it loosend the axel offen.
    Originally Posted by DJBiker

"I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "well don't do that"

I HATE WINTER......

Riding with...
    cough-loctite-cough
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The qr conversion isnt the problem this happened on my old rims as well. The old rims are sun black eyes with cannondale fire hubs

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    is it the actual axel taht is comming loose? if it is tehn are u running 8 inch discs on ur brakes, qr axels and 8inch discs dont mix, i had them on my bike when i first got it and there was so much power from the disc that it loosend the axel offen.

thats probably it after jamming on the brake multiple times the crappier none shimano skewers losen up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i cant get it to upload pictures. The shimano skewers seems to be working fine. Im running 160mm rotors.

mtbr member
    The qr conversion isnt the problem this happened on my old rims as well. The old rims are sun black eyes with cannondale fire hubs
    if it has happened with other wheels its you. go to a bike shop. show them how you tighten qr's (since you wont or cant describe that to us). they will help you probably. but we cant unless you describe to us EXACTLY how you put wheels on. the reason that new bikes have that tag on the skewers is because of situations like this. people hurt themselves all the time with skewer issues. because of this problem lawyer tabs were invented.

shimano skewers (xt, xtr) are the best around. i do 12-15 drops on a six inch bike with one in the rear and it did fine.

since you cant upload pix or give us a play by play i say go to the lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had the same problem with the Hope skewers - both front and rear opened on me and I could have been seriously hurt but by luck I wasn't, it has happened a few times to me since and does appear to be a common problem! I've switched to a Thru axle on the front and will be changing the rear when I can - I does inspire confidence when you don't know if your wheels are going to stay on your bike!!!

I dont know if they just shake open or what......but I have noticed that Shimano skewers stay closed......

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical

are those just like qr skewers without the quick release? i guess thats pretty neat-o but wouldnt it just be smarter to go bolt on conversation.

oh yeah does anybody know if the azonic momentum bolt on axel wll fit a shimano xt rear hub? i wasnt sure if it would so i didnt order one.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I use shimano deore xt, never had a single problem...

(I weight 140lbs and i use 160mm rotor)

Cynical Bystander
    if it has happened with other wheels its you. go to a bike shop. show them how you tighten qr's (since you wont or cant describe that to us). they will help you probably. but we cant unless you describe to us EXACTLY how you put wheels on. the reason that new bikes have that tag on the skewers is because of situations like this. people hurt themselves all the time with skewer issues. because of this problem lawyer tabs were invented.

shimano skewers (xt, xtr) are the best around. i do 12-15 drops on a six inch bike with one in the rear and it did fine.

since you cant upload pix or give us a play by play i say go to the lbs.
    Agreed, definitely sounds like user error.

And for the person that said that 8" rotors and QR dont' work at all, I'd have to differ. *It just depends on the setup I think* For instance, I have an 8" rotor as the main brake on my hardtail (well...only ) and use QR in the rear and have never had troubles with it. It just depends on the setup as to whether it's appropriate or not...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    3. turn the knob on the skewer opposite the qr lever until its tight. try to close the qr lever. make sure that the angle you choose lets the qr close completely (a qr needs to be tightened a little past 90 degrees).
    4. usually thats a little too tight so i back off the knob slightly and try again.
    6. with index finger and thumb try to move rim side to side. play indicates too loose a qr OR a wheel that needs a bearing adjustment.

I tighten them the exact same way you described above ^
    Shamano deore skewers fixed the problem

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have went to my lbs about this they gave me the joytech (my second best ones)

ride hard take risks

Dayjavoo didnt you say that earlyer? Like all are suggesting he needs to go to his LBS do show & tell then reply back with a answer. It is not the 8in disc.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...2. measure your frame and fork dropouts. fork should be 110mm ...
    The front would be 100mm. Only 20mm forks/hubs use 110mm spacing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

If you can close the QR lever completely and it makes the hub bearings too tight you need to readjust the hub, not loosen the QR. I will almost guarantee that will fix your problem.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0