Quick Poll: Evil Imp or Banshee Morphine?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quick Poll: Evil Imp or Banshee Morphine?

I know the banshee is cheaper.
    and the geometry and weights are very similar.

so...any bias one way or the other?
    i know some guys swear by only one.
    but to me they are pretty much the same. what is so great about an evil that costs $150-200 more?

l337 |31k3r
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-spandex
    I know the banshee is cheaper.
    and the geometry and weights are very similar.

so...any bias one way or the other?
    i know some guys swear by only one.
    but to me they are pretty much the same. what is so great about an evil that costs $150-200 more?
    I know the 1.5 HT will be mentioned a million times...but hard it will remain to accept less then 1/2 inch of larger tube to cost $200. I think rather then paying more money for the imperial....I simply feel that your paying for Banshee's lower engineering overhead. Same with the sinister ridge......more expensive, but you get a lot of bells and whistles.....plus the 1.5 headtube. That, and you don't have to ride around a bike that is fletcher class.

IMO, there all great bikes, its simply what the rider wants/needs.
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Heres the deal. To quote someone who i forgot the name of, "Banshees are overbuilt and underengineered" while Evils are overbuilt and well engineered. Im not aware of evils warranty. Anyways, i think evils customer service is a little better than Banshees, but i dont know anyone with a banshee so i can only say from waht other people say.

l337 |31k3r
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    Heres the deal. To quote someone who i forgot the name of, "Banshees are overbuilt and underengineered" while Evils are overbuilt and well engineered. Im not aware of evils warranty. Anyways, i think evils customer service is a little better than Banshees, but i dont know anyone with a banshee so i can only say from waht other people say.

I did not bring CS and the warranty into this because I'm not sure if I had heard a complaint from either side. My opinions stand as is, but I feel very strongly that both are great bikes, strong, and their companies stand behind them. Its just what you want/need.

Where is the ridge in the situation....Same class, just a little less of an edge on the geo.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

err, 27.5+
    I like the Imperial, but dislike the 1 size fits all approach since I stand 6'3". Their DOC looks sic though.

I prefer the Morphine for their big guy geometry. I don't want to ride a bike that is too small just to have the features I want. Morphine gives me everything but the 1.5 HT.

If the 1.5 HT is of issue I would go with a Ridge. Only concern I have about the ridge is that it comes from a small company and sorry to say, but small companies come and go in the bicycle industry. If I am buying a bike that should last indefinitely then it had better be from a company that is also going to be around for the long haul.

mtbr member
    FTW has been welding and designing bikes for quite sometime.....definetly longer than anybody at Banshee. If you are in that price range.....Id check out the Evil DOC, and the Sinister DNA....for a more street oriented bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    freeriding ain't safe. sooner or later you will hurt or kill yourself.yer spokes aint' gonna make any difference less'n you get yer johnson caught in them

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    i would go with an evil if you have the money.

not sure about your comment about banshee's customer service though.
    everyone on here has said they are great, when their bike cracks or they have a problem banshee is right there sending them a new frame. i have sent them a few emails and have gotten replies back within the hour. i would say that banshee has just as good (if not better customer service than evil).

i don't know about evil's service though so i can't really talk, but banshee's is great.

mtbr remember
    Are you building the frame up for hitting the steeps, or dj's/park? - raked out or steep?
    What fork do you want, triple clamp or not (1.5?)?
    If your gonna be doing any fr/xc uphill the imperials seat tube is tweaked more for jumpin, etc. Check out he Imperial SL if you need to extend your seatpost up.
    I thought the Imperial felt a little weird w/ the super wide double top-tube, but if I owned one, I could probably get used to it. A friend has a Morphine w/ a Z150 and really digs it.
    I've never ridden a Sinister, but they look primo.
    I personally am building up a Transition Trail-or-Park, but it's in a slightly different category, and if you have the money go w/ the imp IMO.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Are you building the frame up for hitting the steeps, or dj's/park? - raked out or steep?
    What fork do you want, triple clamp or not (1.5?)?
    If your gonna be doing any fr/xc uphill the imperials seat tube is tweaked more for jumpin, etc. Check out he Imperial SL if you need to extend your seatpost up.
    I thought the Imperial felt a little weird w/ the super wide double top-tube, but if I owned one, I could probably get used to it. A friend has a Morphine w/ a Z150 and really digs it.
    I've never ridden a Sinister, but they look primo.
    I personally am building up a Transition Trail-or-Park, but it's in a slightly different category, and if you have the money go w/ the imp IMO.
    i posted earlier about your transition, and even considered one but i want to stick with a lighter hardtail...
    i def. need to climb with the bike and do trails, but i jump and do urban just as much as i do trails. the SL imp is out of my price range at almost 900!
    but i can probably scrape together $$ for a ridge (DNA looks a little street specific), imp, or morph.
    not really wanting to go double crown, the longer sc forks are getting better all the time.
    plus i am only 5'4" and 125 lbs so even if i was dropping huge i dont think i need to be too worried about bottoming out.
    the evil and banshee bikes see almost too much bike. the ridge looks a bit more minimal than beefy like the others. but i hear they are awesome and FTW has a great rep along with a good service record. i think one kid posted that sinister sent him a frame to use until they got one in the color he wanted! i am seriously considering a ridge now!

mtbr remember
    as for the weight thing, I personally like 4130 chromo better than alu, esp, when it might be subjected to impacts on sharp stuff, although the imp. and Morphine are by far some of the beefiest ht's you will find, I wouldn't say the Ridge is really much weaker though, sinisters seem to be pretty stout.
    yeah, I saw that thread about the borrowed ridge frame, it was orange when the dude wanted black or something, sounds like customer service couldn't get any better, although I think it was the result of an error.
    being 5'4" you will want to strongly consider standover height and effective top tube. The Imp only comes in one size, and although very adjustable, you might feel the top tube is kinda long, but it's all preference.
    If your looking for other hardtails to consider, check out the AtomLab Trailpimp (not sure if they're available, but they look hot), the .243racing, the Snipes, the OnOne Gimp, The Woodman D, Arrow DSS, Cove Stiffeefr, and even Norco Manik/Sasquatch/etc. - just a few, mostly reasonably priced options to check out that might fit the bill.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    the Ridge and Imperial are the same price at Unreal.

there are a million bikes that would satisfy you, especially since you're fairly small, but of the 2 you mentioned, Imperial.

but man, trails, urban, and street...check into the DOC. i just sold my Imperial, and have oredered a DOC.

l337 |31k3r
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yeah, I saw that thread about the borrowed ridge frame, it was orange when the dude wanted black or something, sounds like customer service couldn't get any better, although I think it was the result of an error.
    Twas due to the fact that they painted an entire batch orange....and his black frame was in with the mix. My guess they only had one black order......and overlooked it. It happens.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

banned
    I've ridden both the Imperial and the Scream, both with big single crown forks AND with 7" (Super T on Imperial) or 8" (Shiver on Morphine). I prefer the handling of the Imperial, but that's just personal preference.

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Before I ordered my Army Green Imperial I called Bikeman.com and asked if they had any Imps in stock. They had none and neither did unrealcycles. Bikeman.com was cool and called Evil. Per bikeman.com Evil had only 5 or 6 black Imperial SL's in stock and weren't gonna do another production run till spring. Bikeman.com was willing to give me the SL for $800 which isn't bad. Since I didn't want black(SL's come in black only) I ordered the green from go-ride and they told me that there was a white one left. I don't know if it's till there since I talked to them last week.

I cannot speak for the customer service of Banshee or Sinister but I do know that every time I email Evil or E13 components they respond in a timely manner. The response to my emails are clear, concise and to the point. Sometimes they even put too much info there for me. Not that I'm complaining.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

Doesnt ride Banshees
    If your gonna be climbing and riding trails as much as jumping i wouldnt choose the imperial. From what time i spent on that bike i was very unsatisfied with its performance in the woods. Evil makes tough bikes and everyone seems to love their name, if you really want the evil brand then check out the DOC, defenitly a more woods friendly bike that can still be jumped ect. plus its like 450$ opposed to 750$. I owned a morphine for a year and it was a good bike in the woods. I was impressed with it. I sold it to buy a sinister ridge which i have nothing but good things to say about, it does great in every type of riding. I recommend it as well.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    ive allways liked both...

but if i had to choose one id choose the morphine...it would fit you better...its cheaper...it looks better...and comes with a bloody good warranty and customer service...

a mate of mine just got a scream and if there was hole big enough for him to stick his **** into it...he most definatly would...he loves the thing...there frames are for lack of a better word...awesome...and i would get the morphine...

either way tho...ur gunna have a great bike...good luck makin ur decision...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles