Quick Crank Question- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: leddder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    225

    Quick Crank Question

    Hey something really wierd happened yesterday;
    i was riding up my driveway after riding my local dirt jumps when suddenly my crank fell off, literally. I found the bolt/screw before it rolled away and when i looked at the bottom bracket and crank nothing looke dlike it was stripped.
    Now what do you guys think i should do, just put it back on and re fasten the bolt and keep riding?
    I kind of need a quick response since me and my friends have planned on going to some really nice dirt jumps tomoroww that requires driving.
    Thanks for all the help.
    The 3rd Planet is sure that they're being watched by an
    eye in the sky that can't be stopped

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    297
    yep, theres ur problem, uve got a raccoon stuck in ur bottom brocket. they like to loosen those crank arms at night...

  3. #3
    pwn3rator
    Reputation: scabrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,640
    unless you are using a tapered square end bb this shouldn't have happend because it is nearly impossible to pull a crank off a splined bb. but nomatter how it happend put it back on with lock-tite. look at the manufacturers website for proper torque too...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: leddder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    put it back on with lock-tite. look at the manufacturers website for proper torque too...
    Sorry... but lock tite?
    The 3rd Planet is sure that they're being watched by an
    eye in the sky that can't be stopped

  5. #5
    pwn3rator
    Reputation: scabrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,640
    yeah, lock-tite will keep the bolt from comeing out. this happend to me all the time on my really old bike ( square tapered end bb)...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: leddder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrockcromo
    yep, theres ur problem, uve got a raccoon stuck in ur bottom brocket. they like to loosen those crank arms at night...
    Thanks for the sarcasm, it helped immensly...
    The 3rd Planet is sure that they're being watched by an
    eye in the sky that can't be stopped

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    153
    don't know how but i managed to just about unscrew some raceface cranks from landing, the cranks would come undone.

  8. #8
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,850
    You were riding it loose for some time obviously, and though you may not be able to see the wear, there is some wear...
    ISIS cranksets are pressed on, and if you can pop them on and off, they're wore out.
    No need to get a new one just yet, apply alot of loctite, and if it still keeps coming loose, get new cranks.
    If your new cranks slide right on, get a new BB aswell, and you will be good to go.

    loose cranks piss me off
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    94

    Check yoself

    there is a reason why people say 'check yoself' .. and your gear for that matter... Things come loose.. the harder you ride the more often it will happen... DH / FR / DJ bikes take a real beating.. get into the habit of checking your bike before every time you ride.. you may be suprised as to what you find (and prevent).

  10. #10
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr 9point5
    there is a reason why people say 'check yoself' .. and your gear for that matter... Things come loose.. the harder you ride the more often it will happen... DH / FR / DJ bikes take a real beating.. get into the habit of checking your bike before every time you ride.. you may be suprised as to what you find (and prevent).
    Great advice, check your stuff every few rides, and if stuff is coming loose, check it even more often...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: leddder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    Great advice, check your stuff every few rides, and if stuff is coming loose, check it even more often...
    thanks for the advice, definetly keep that in mind EVERY time i go riding.
    The 3rd Planet is sure that they're being watched by an
    eye in the sky that can't be stopped

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.