Questions on new bike build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Questions on new bike build

I've been building up a new bike (Specialized SX, not SX Trail) and have a couple questions which I'm sure this knowledgable crowd has some experience and answers.

1) I bought a new 08 XT crank but when I went to install my new Kona wah wahs i noticed the thread interface was pretty loose. I could move the pedal up and down a bit right up until I bottomed it out on the crank. Anyone experience this and should I be worried about it? I dont want to pull the threads out of the crank. I thought about putting some thread tape on the pedal to tighten the interface a bit.

2) I bought a new Gamut chain guide. Put it on, and it looks great but it is considerably louder when pedaling than my bikes with an MRP or e13 guide. Is this normal or is there something wrong? I can't notice any setup issues it just seems louder than I would expect.

3) The bike has a Fox Rp23 on it. When pedalling it seems to be making a light popping sound. Sound is similar to compessing a plastic water bottle just a bit and letting it come back out. Anyone experience this or know what this may be?

Here's a pic mid build

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Both my Gamuts are a little loud , but I don't notice it when riding.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

The Beaver
    1. just grease the threads and you will be fine.
    2. gamuts are a little loud.. you can file the plastic down on the upper plate to help with the noise.
    3. I have no idea, I would call fox if it keeps doing it.
    4. enjoy your ride,
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Bike Ninja |||
    1) ptfe (teflon) tape the threads, add some grease and they'll be fine.. make sure to check the tightness on them periodically.
    2) gamuts are loud. not a big deal...
    3) never heard that noise coming from a rp23... make sure there is float fluid in the body, if it persists call fox.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

EastBaySteez
    The gamut will quiet down after about a month of riding. The upper plastic has to wear away.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the responses. I've resolved the loose pedal issue with teflon tape and the chain guide is quieting down. I'm still not sure on the RP23. The frime was sitting for a while before I built it up so the seals may have become a bit dry creating the noise.

Anyway, here she is all built up.

Ideas Above My Station...
    Great looking bike, looks like a great 4X set up(?)

Members who have read this thread: 0