questions about yeti ask 04 setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

questions about yeti ask 04 setup

have some question bout this frame, is a 24 year wheel good or bad for the bike? i have a 24 rear on my old frame and im switching to the 04 asx and wanna know if i should sell my 24 or stick with it, also is the frame ok with a jr t(i have a reducer headset to make it fit)? and will putting a fox dhx 05 make much of a difference or should i just stick with the fifth element? and also any advice on how i should set up the bike? its more of for weekend freeride and non hardcore dh, and also some novice dh racing. and what the next fork i should aim at getting? thanx

mtbr member
    could some one please help me out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I were you:

- Upgrade the JrT before you upgrade the 5th Element. 5th has great damping, and suits the single pivot well, JrT has low end damping and feels like crap, esp. if you plan on racing. Since the AS-X has the 1.5" HS, there are tonnes of options.

- I'd stay with a 26" rear tire for 2 reasons. First, the bike is designed around a 26-er, and depending on the fork you go with, a 24-er could really end up slacking out the head angle. Second, if you plan on racing, a 26-er will be faster

mtbr member
    the only reason i was thinking of upgrading the 5th element first is because i can sell it for as much as is can get a new dhx. so, should i upgrade to dhx?

about the jrT, whats the best racing fork that i could replace it with, i heard dorados and shivers are to heavy for racing, is that true? also please dont say boxxer coz i really hate how the upper crown looks like. theres also a very cheap brandnew single crown sherman forsale here, is that even nice?

ok ill go with the 26

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    If I were you:

- Upgrade the JrT before you upgrade the 5th Element. 5th has great damping, and suits the single pivot well, JrT has low end damping and feels like crap, esp. if you plan on racing. Since the AS-X has the 1.5" HS, there are tonnes of options.

- I'd stay with a 26" rear tire for 2 reasons. First, the bike is designed around a 26-er, and depending on the fork you go with, a 24-er could really end up slacking out the head angle. Second, if you plan on racing, a 26-er will be faster

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've never seen an AS-X with a DHX, can't comment on whether it would be worth it. Probably, it would come down to what type of 'feel' you prefer...the SPV damping of the 5th, or the more active DHX. I know guys that have put the DHX on other single pivot setups and love it.

Best racing fork, eh? Depends who you ask. Don't discount the Boxxer cause you think it's upper crown is ugly, that's just foolish. I personally don't like the way the damping feels on the Boxxer, but others will tell you that pound for pound, it's the best race fork out there. If you're looking at Marz, the 888RC is probably your best bet. Shiver is heavier, but not much (1 lbs, I think?). You aren't on a tank, you could probably 'afford' the weight if you like the way it feels. As for the Dorado, it IS a race fork...in fact, that's all I'd ever use it for (requires a lot of maintenance which is fine if it's exclusively for racing, but that's a huge pain if you do drops and lots of riding on it everyday). Not sure of it's weight, it's so far out of my league that I don't concern myself with it's specs, but I'd guess it's pretty light, look it up if you are thinking about buying it. For racing, I'd stay with a DC for the stiffness, but if you aren't that serious about racing and it will be a multi-purpose bike, a good single-crown might be a decent compromise. Hell, if you can afford a Dorado, get 2 forks, one for DH, one for FR

mtbr member
    i think the 05 asx has a dhx, and i just figured it would be better to slap one on the 04 because the current model has it. that, and that almost eveyone says that dhx is the best right now.

the thing is, race course here normally include 20foot drops and huge as gap jumps. and some people say you kinda need a fork that can handle fr for it. but almost everyone here uses 888s or boxxers. is the shiver better than the 888? or is it all about feel? or maybe i could just get a boxxer and machine a crown for it.

as for affording the dorado, well bike part are surprisingly very cheap in a third world country, its one of their marketing strategies or sumthing, everythings about 70% the actuall cost. that plus i get it straight from the supplier thus no tax

I've never seen an AS-X with a DHX, can't comment on whether it would be worth it. Probably, it would come down to what type of 'feel' you prefer...the SPV damping of the 5th, or the more active DHX. I know guys that have put the DHX on other single pivot setups and love it.

Best racing fork, eh? Depends who you ask. Don't discount the Boxxer cause you think it's upper crown is ugly, that's just foolish. I personally don't like the way the damping feels on the Boxxer, but others will tell you that pound for pound, it's the best race fork out there. If you're looking at Marz, the 888RC is probably your best bet. Shiver is heavier, but not much (1 lbs, I think?). You aren't on a tank, you could probably 'afford' the weight if you like the way it feels. As for the Dorado, it IS a race fork...in fact, that's all I'd ever use it for (requires a lot of maintenance which is fine if it's exclusively for racing, but that's a huge pain if you do drops and lots of riding on it everyday). Not sure of it's weight, it's so far out of my league that I don't concern myself with it's specs, but I'd guess it's pretty light, look it up if you are thinking about buying it. For racing, I'd stay with a DC for the stiffness, but if you aren't that serious about racing and it will be a multi-purpose bike, a good single-crown might be a decent compromise. Hell, if you can afford a Dorado, get 2 forks, one for DH, one for FR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's cool! What country are you in? Do you have pics of you riding or what the terrain is like? We don't see many pictures outside of N.America (occasionally Europe) around here....

Sweet that you can get a deal on a Dorado, I have no idea how it would do on big stuff like that though. But yah, if you are doing 20 ft drops and gaps, you'll want a DC for sure. 888 vs. Shiver is argued often on here, do a search. The Shiver will be stronger than the 888, but if you aren't a big guy (and aren't totally brutal to your bike), it's probably not an issue. Guys with Shivers swear by them for their strength and durability (you can be pretty negligent with them and they still last forever). Most 888 owners think they are the best fork ever (lighter and stiffer), but a few have reported breakage (probably not more than most other forks).

I like the 888 over the Shiver (I'm a pretty light guy), but others will tell you the opposite. Do a lot of research, see if you can test them, talk to people who ride them, and base your decision on that. They are both great forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_kha
    i think the 05 asx has a dhx, and i just figured it would be better to slap one on the 04 because the current model has it. that, and that almost eveyone says that dhx is the best right now.
    Yes, the 2005 AS-X comes with the Fox DHX, but to do the switch from the 5th, you will need to get a new 2005 "dogbone" link (or the short link, or both - can't remember exactly now) as well. I emailed Yeti about that, as I was thinking of getting a DHX for my 2004 AS-X as well. They said that because of the different body shape of the shock, there's a new linkage for it.
    So take it into consideration before you buy the shock. I think the cost for all needed parts from Yeti store was $80 bucks...

Cheers,

Arek

mtbr member
    im from the phillipines, dont have pics of the terrain right now but ill post as soon as i get a new camera theres also a groud here with a site with pics http://www.angelfire.com/trek/teamhaooh/

but we really cant get a lot of pics because most of the trails are narrow single tracks with not much room for photographers.

That's cool! What country are you in? Do you have pics of you riding or what the terrain is like? We don't see many pictures outside of N.America (occasionally Europe) around here....

Sweet that you can get a deal on a Dorado, I have no idea how it would do on big stuff like that though. But yah, if you are doing 20 ft drops and gaps, you'll want a DC for sure. 888 vs. Shiver is argued often on here, do a search. The Shiver will be stronger than the 888, but if you aren't a big guy (and aren't totally brutal to your bike), it's probably not an issue. Guys with Shivers swear by them for their strength and durability (you can be pretty negligent with them and they still last forever). Most 888 owners think they are the best fork ever (lighter and stiffer), but a few have reported breakage (probably not more than most other forks).

I like the 888 over the Shiver (I'm a pretty light guy), but others will tell you the opposite. Do a lot of research, see if you can test them, talk to people who ride them, and base your decision on that. They are both great forks.

mtbr member
    is the true even with the same eye to eye length? cant you just out the old bushings on the dhx?

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    Yes, the 2005 AS-X comes with the Fox DHX, but to do the switch from the 5th, you will need to get a new 2005 "dogbone" link (or the short link, or both - can't remember exactly now) as well. I emailed Yeti about that, as I was thinking of getting a DHX for my 2004 AS-X as well. They said that because of the different body shape of the shock, there's a new linkage for it.
    So take it into consideration before you buy the shock. I think the cost for all needed parts from Yeti store was $80 bucks...

Cheers,

Arek

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_kha
    is the true even with the same eye to eye length? cant you just out the old bushings on the dhx?
    Like I already said before, I got that info straight from Yeti. You WILL need a new dogbone to be able to use the DHX on your frame.

Arek