Question for WCH or ZD or anyone for that matter...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221

    Question for WCH or ZD or anyone for that matter...

    I'm building up a hardtail that we have here at the office. It is a Felt Straight Shot which I will use to learn how to jump and mess around on. I currently have two forks for the bike and am wondering which one would be better for it since it will be a thrash bike. Should I use the Manitou Stance it came with or should I run the RS Pike 454 on it? Both have full travel and are not cut down. Or should I save the Pike 454 for a trail bike?

    Your thoughts? I'm not as nuts as you guys in jumps and I have been told I should save my energy and learn with my Commencal 6" bike first. Think I should try things out with the hardtail?

    By the way WCH...how do you like that Azonic Sound Surround helmet?
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lickqid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    811
    if you're just gonna beat on the bike then put the stance on there until it fails. Then put the pike on.
    New Nemesis Project Streetfighter: $500 with headset, email [email protected]

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zachdank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,303
    My boy Gramderham has been killing it on a Felt jump shot. That bike is sick as fyck. I don't know anything about the straight shot.
    The pike is a ripping DJ fork.
    Learning to jump on a hardtail is mos def the best way to go, if you want to progress fast.

  4. #4
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    My boy Gramderham has been killing it on a Felt jump shot. That bike is sick as fyck. I don't know anything about the straight shot.
    The pike is a ripping DJ fork.
    Learning to jump on a hardtail is mos def the best way to go, if you want to progress fast.

    Just curious as I am not a dirt jumper, don't you want a fork with shorter travel and make it super stiff? I know neither of them are set up for stiffness or anything but since I have both, I'm wondering which is better. I'm going to leave on those THE Eliminator rims becasue you can't flat them very easily although they add a bunch of weight.

    The Straight Shot is their FR hardtail. Little bit longer in the CS I think but not by much.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zachdank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by elohttub
    Just curious as I am not a dirt jumper, don't you want a fork with shorter travel and make it super stiff? I know neither of them are set up for stiffness or anything but since I have both, I'm wondering which is better. I'm going to leave on those THE Eliminator rims becasue you can't flat them very easily although they add a bunch of weight.

    The Straight Shot is their FR hardtail. Little bit longer in the CS I think but not by much.
    Yeah you want a fork with short and stiff travel, if you are hitting super tech lines, but it realy doesn't matter. A couple years ago, we were all jumping on 5" travel forks. The more travel, the better for learning to jump. You are gonna be stoked on those extra couple of inches in the front when you throw a nasty quesadilla, or a 6 foot overshoot to flats.
    Worry about the 2 inch travel DJ forks after you start killing the DJ's.

  6. #6
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221

    Thanks for the advice!

    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    Yeah you want a fork with short and stiff travel, if you are hitting super tech lines, but it realy doesn't matter. A couple years ago, we were all jumping on 5" travel forks. The more travel, the better for learning to jump. You are gonna be stoked on those extra couple of inches in the front when you throw a nasty quesadilla, or a 6 foot overshoot to flats.
    Worry about the 2 inch travel DJ forks after you start killing the DJ's.

    Once I get it all put together I'm gonna start learning on the small jumps and then progress to just being comfortable in the air. Then I'll work on my 360 flips and backflip nokes. I need to get better because I want to slay that whole line at WC starting with the boulder-ladder roll in. WCH and his buddies have made that area super sick!
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  7. #7
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,438
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    ...Worry about the 2 inch travel DJ forks after you start killing the DJ's.
    yeah, noobs have no place trying to attack the dj's with such a short fork....


  8. #8
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221

    Whatever dude

    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    yeah, noobs have no place trying to attack the dj's with such a short fork....
    Give me about 3 or 4 years and I will be KILLING the jumps near us!!! Maybe 5 with a few injuries thrown in...HA!!!

    I'll run it with that Pike and see how I do. I'm not expecting more than a few sick looking dead sailors for a while.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  9. #9
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by elohttub
    Give me about 3 or 4 years and I will be KILLING the jumps near us!!! Maybe 5 with a few injuries thrown in...HA!!!

    I'll run it with that Pike and see how I do. I'm not expecting more than a few sick looking dead sailors for a while.
    he is not flaming you but trying to give you advice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zachdank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    he is not flaming you but trying to give you advice
    I think he gets the sarcasm douche bag.

  11. #11
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221

    No **** Bob...

    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    he is not flaming you but trying to give you advice
    You would think I've never been around here. I'm just not on 24 hours a day like you!
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  12. #12
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221

    Hahahaha!

    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    I think he gets the sarcasm douche bag.
    Jeez Shiver. Hey did you see the story in the Daily News about them closing down your favorite bar in Simi? Wally's Hideout is finally going under. I never knew that they didn't have a full liquor license. That place was a pile anyway.

    Not like every other bar in Simi isn't a pile.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    yeah, noobs have no place trying to attack the dj's with such a short fork....

    ill find out how the 2" deal works this weekend.. hopefully i wont grenade the fork when i hit flat..

  14. #14
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by elohttub
    Jeez Shiver. Hey did you see the story in the Daily News about them closing down your favorite bar in Simi? Wally's Hideout is finally going under. I never knew that they didn't have a full liquor license. That place was a pile anyway.

    Not like every other bar in Simi isn't a pile.
    yeah it sucks......and he selling everything for 3 million....sad sad day....My favorite place to hang out....it was like cheers
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  15. #15
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    I think he gets the sarcasm douche bag.

    prrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvfffffffffttttttt.... ...........................
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  16. #16
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221

    That guy is getting $3 million???

    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yeah it sucks......and he selling everything for 3 million....sad sad day....My favorite place to hang out....it was like cheers
    I wouldn't pay $3 for that stink hole.

    Cheers was a great bar in Simi when it was open. I bet you are talking about the show though. You fit right in at Wally's didn't you?
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    I was checking out the info on the Azonic SS helmet. Anyone have any input on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  18. #18
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by elohttub
    I wouldn't pay $3 for that stink hole.

    Cheers was a great bar in Simi when it was open. I bet you are talking about the show though. You fit right in at Wally's didn't you?

    for the whole thing..........he owns a bunch of property and big house behind it.........I loved Wally's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  19. #19
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221

    Ask WCH...

    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I was checking out the info on the Azonic SS helmet. Anyone have any input on that?
    He's testing it out for us right now. We'll print his review in the January issue. He seems cool with it so far.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  20. #20
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,438
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I was checking out the info on the Azonic SS helmet. Anyone have any input on that?
    i've had mine for a couple weeks now, the helmet itself isn't anything special, but the integrated speakers are kick ass. i always wear my ipod when riding and now i can hear my music all nice and loud but still hear other people when we are talking......


  21. #21
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i've had mine for a couple weeks now, the helmet itself isn't anything special, but the integrated speakers are kick ass. i always wear my ipod when riding and now i can hear my music all nice and loud but still hear other people when we are talking......
    loud music and hearing people... leaves me confused
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  22. #22
    notabouttoseeyourlight
    Reputation: coma13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,664
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i've had mine for a couple weeks now, the helmet itself isn't anything special, but the integrated speakers are kick ass. i always wear my ipod when riding and now i can hear my music all nice and loud but still hear other people when we are talking......
    were you wearing that in laguna?
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

  23. #23
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,438
    the speakers are actually situated over your temples, not directly in your ear. to the wearer, it sounds like hanging out a room with your friends with a radio playing....

    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 10-27-2006 at 01:23 PM.


  24. #24
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,438
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    were you wearing that in laguna?
    no, that was my regular dh lid with headphones, the one we are talking about is a dj lid.....


  25. #25
    notabouttoseeyourlight
    Reputation: coma13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,664
    oh ok... word.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

  26. #26
    Who put that rut there?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    221

    Hey Eric,

    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    oh ok... word.
    Give me an address for you. I'll send a copy of the new issue with the Rogue stuff in it. Looks pretty cool. We used the flow shorts and jersey and the contrasting colors made it pop really well. The pictures do it a lot of justice there.

    ROGUE MTB APPAREL
    Coming fresh out of the gates with their Flow Series, the Flow Jersey is light, breathable, and fast! This jersey is made with exclusive Air Kontrol fabric for optimum performance in every condition. A V-neck collar keeps your neck comfortable and bias cuffs keep your sleeves just loose enough for great ventilation. Available in a traditional long sleeve or a short sleeve version with full dye sublimated graphics. The Flow Short is built light and breathable, with a full rip-stop nylon outer shell that is lightweight and loose for zero leg restriction. The elastic drawstring waist allows a large size range to adapt to the amount of armor (or lack thereof) that you are wearing on any given day. An inner mesh liner prevents chafing and keeps the cool air flowing. COLORS: Brown/Orange, Baby blue/Dark blue, Tan/Black, and Red/Dark red; PRICE: $48 Flow Jersey; $60 Flow Short; CONTACT: roguemtb.com
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

  27. #27
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    the speakers are actually situated over your temples, not directly in your ear. to the wearer, it sounds like hanging out a room with your friends with a radio playing....
    thats pretty awesome actually... I was picturing it inside a fullface, didnt realize it was a skate style lid....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    the speakers are actually situated over your temples, not directly in your ear. to the wearer, it sounds like hanging out a room with your friends with a radio playing....

    sick.. must buy soon.. hows the fit? similar to bell or anyother?

  29. #29
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,438
    my other dj lid is a Knucklebone Jumper (both helmets are larges), the Azonic SS runs a tiny bit smaller back to front but feels identical from side to side...


  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Sweet, thanks for the mini-review WCH!
    That's going on my list, along with an iPod. I have Oakley's first generation Thump player, I love it, but it really drowns out EVERYTHING else and when it gets dark...well, you're screwed (the lenses DO flip up, but...its lame)
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  31. #31
    Reels & Wheels
    Reputation: dv8cam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I was checking out the info on the Azonic SS helmet. Anyone have any input on that?
    Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin!

    How are you feeling today, MIke?
    http://viralvectormedia.com
    home of the infectious arts

  32. #32
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,438
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8cam
    Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin!

    How are you feeling today, MIke?
    hell yeah, last night i pulled a "lawn dart" right onto it super hard, after i got up from the mess i realized the tunes were still kickin'....

    i'm doing much better though, i feel a little relieved about the knee, seems i just took a knock to the knee cap, not the upper tibia like i was originaly worried about...


  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zachdank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    hell yeah, last night i pulled a "lawn dart" right onto it super hard, after i got up from the mess i realized the tunes were still kickin'....

    i'm doing much better though, i feel a little relieved about the knee, seems i just took a knock to the knee cap, not the upper tibia like i was originaly worried about...
    That sux. Where were you shredding?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,294
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    hell yeah, last night i pulled a "lawn dart" right onto it super hard, after i got up from the mess i realized the tunes were still kickin'....

    i'm doing much better though, i feel a little relieved about the knee, seems i just took a knock to the knee cap, not the upper tibia like i was originaly worried about...
    I see the problem. You weren't wearing the revered Dickies hat. No wonder you got hurt.

  35. #35
    Reels & Wheels
    Reputation: dv8cam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    hell yeah, last night i pulled a "lawn dart" right onto it super hard, after i got up from the mess i realized the tunes were still kickin'....

    i'm doing much better though, i feel a little relieved about the knee, seems i just took a knock to the knee cap, not the upper tibia like i was originaly worried about...
    Good to hear you weren't hurt that bad. We'll pick up where we left off when I am back from the shoot.

    By the way, guys, that helmet took a hit that would have probably cracked most fullface helmets in half.

    Once again, WCH proves to be the killer test pilot. Somebody send this guy some schwag!
    http://viralvectormedia.com
    home of the infectious arts

  36. #36
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,438
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    That sux. Where were you shredding?
    our slalom line. i still have a headache...


Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.