Question: Upgrading GF Genesis (Marlin) Components to Handle DH... ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Question: Upgrading GF Genesis (Marlin) Components to Handle DH... ??

Alright, so I'm just getting into mountain biking, but I'm not new to extreme sports. I used to BMX and then was big into skateboarding, rollerblading and snowboarding as well. I've stopped all of them except for snowboarding, but the summertime feels empty now, so decided to get into mountain biking.

I really wasn't planning on doing anything crazy, so went with an XC bike, the GF Marlin Disc.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/marlin-disc

After finally going out for an actual ride on some trails, I've realized the most fun I had was on the DH. I loved hitting rock gardens, roots, logs, drops and getting air whenever I could. nothing insane, but definitely a bit aggressive.

I've read more now and it seems XC bikes aren't exactly meant for aggressive DH.

However, I'm quite light at 130-135 pounds and so I don't need a super durable bike. But still, I don't doubt my bike will fall apart at some point if I keep going hard. When this happens though, I'd rather not buy another new hardtail to handle DH stuff. I'd really just rather upgrade the parts that break (and I'm assuming my frame won't break under my light body).

So, can it be done? Will a XC bike like the Marlin be able to handle DH just as well as any other hardtail (even sturdier one, like one for DJ, which seems to be the best way to go for a DH hardtail I suppose) if I replace parts with more durable ones as they break.

In the end, I'd probably want new wheels and new fork (I have DH riser handlebars) and would that be enough?

I realize DH is better suited for a FS bike, but I definitely love riding my Marlin and would like it to be able handle what I want to throw at it on aggressive trails. So, can it be done? Well, it can be, but will it be successful is more what I'm asking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i would absolutely not advise it. Aside from everything else, that frame isn't meant to take it, and having your frame go out on you while you're hauling ass through a rock garden can lead to perminant debilitating injury. I work at a trek shop (we sell GF) and I would absolutely not recommend using it for DH duty, Those frames are very very light and not very strong. There are plenty of hardtails that aren't too expensive that you can slap a longer travel fork on, get some beefy wheels and cranks, and call it a day. Your best bet is to sell that before it gets clapped out from agressive riding and pick up a new or used bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hmm... I'm curious, with regards to selling it, how much could I get for a bike I've ridden 2 days. Once was just around the road to get used to it, the second was on an actual trail.

I bought it for 741 (that includes tax).

The bike is 700+ with tax anywhere you go... so is it reasonable to assume I could sell it for 650 to 700?

And, where would I go about selling it? The one big downside would be that the person getting it isn't the original owner so wouldn't get a warranty? But I can always just give them the receipt? And they can still try claiming it?

Then, if you suggest selling, would a bike like the GF Mullet be a safe bet for DH? Or what are some tougher bikes for DH riding?

I do notice my bike is very light, especially compard to my brother's DJing bike. And the I guess the last thing I wanna do is break my frame midride.

I definitely am not looking for a bike to do super hardcore DH stuff, but I definitely think, after riding the other day that it's what I loved the most and know that I will learn more and get better and only want to go more aggressive. So, if you truly think the Marlin frame can't handle any drops, rock gardens, etc at high speeds and on a consistent basis, I guess a new bike might be in order.

Though, I feel like a dumbass now, lol.

mtbr member
    Definitely a REALLY REALLY bad idea. Don't just assume you won't break the frame. There's a pretty solid chance of it. I'm not going to waste too much more time on this point.

As for resale value: Look to get about $350-400 out of that bike. Sounds like what you really need is a full suspension bike with 140-160mm of travel. The Mullet is a DJ bike. Look at brands other than GF. This arena isn't exactly their forte. Giant, Specialized, and Iron Horse are good places to start.

ride hard take risks
    Time fer a new bike, already.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yea, doubt I'd go after GF, since even their FS don't seem as heavily equiped as some other brands.

I'd probably go Giant since my Dad bought one from another shop very recently and maybe they'd consider giving some slight discount because we are purchasing another bike, but who knows.

And I really don't want to go FS... for 2 reasons:

1. I don't have the money to spend on a decent FS

2. I am a beginner and don't mind having to take things at slower speeds and have a tougher learning curve on a hardtail. I'd rather be on a hardtail. So, that is where I will go.

And if that's the case, what hardtails are best for DH? I also do plan on riding it as a trail bike and even on the road, so it should be an all-around bike. I guess I was fooled by thinking XC bikes were all around bikes, but I suppose some of the aggressive stuff can't be handled by an XC bike. Or, maybe it can, it'll just break sooner or later... which wouldn't be fun.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Komodo has been what I've been looking at after some search. Seems like a good way to go without spending too much (many of the others are very expensive.

Now, 575 for a new bike also isn't very bad either, be just abve 600 after all is said and done (taxes) and can get warranty because will be first owner.

But before I go getting the Komodo, if that's my choice, i would need to sell my Marlin.

It's literally been ridden twice. So with the except of some dirt on bottom of frame and wheels, it's brand new. How much could I sell it for? I paid 745 dollars (because of tax) for the thing. So, looking to get at least 650, I don't see why the bike would depreciate too much more... I suppose warranty issues. However, does having the original receipt = original owner? Since could give that to the buyer and they could have warranty.

Either way, I want to do this without spending extra money, so in the end whatever the Komodo 1.0 with tax is, I need to get at least that for my Marlin. Is it possible?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by jay687
    The Komodo has been what I've been looking at after some search.
    Either way, I want to do this without spending extra money, so in the end whatever the Komodo 1.0 with tax is, I need to get at least that for my Marlin. Is it possible?
    Possibly the LBS you bought the Marlin at could contact Jamis and see if they could special order the Komodo for you and trade your Marlin in to them. They may ask for a few ducates to do the work of calling so you can offer to contact Jamis yourself as a middle man. Most shops wont allow you to middle man and many time a company wants a commitment to be a dealer but it is worth a shot, worse case you get a No Way answer then it's time to work on another plan.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i bet my bike shop would allow me to do something like that if it wasn't a special order--but I'll try that.

Anyone know if GF Mullet/Opie are okay compared to Komodo?

How about any Scott or Marin? Those 3 companies are all the guy carries and it's not that I don't like the shop, just sucks they might not be carrying what I'm looking for.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by jay687
    i bet my bike shop would allow me to do something like that if it wasn't a special order--but I'll try that.

Anyone know if GF Mullet/Opie are okay compared to Komodo?

How about any Scott or Marin? Those 3 companies are all the guy carries and it's not that I don't like the shop, just sucks they might not be carrying what I'm looking for.
    Off this list the Mullet is your best pick. Im no GF fan but Marin has nothing in the category & Scott is over seas so if there are any warranty issues it will take time to resolve.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mullet/fullspecs
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Alright, thanks.

I'm going to attempt to get the LBS to maybe take my bike back in exchange for a mullet.

The bikes--Mullet vs. Marlin--are the exact same price. Mine has new handlebars from the shop that he lists at 80 bucks and can give him original ones too.

Hopefully, they are nice about it and can do some type of deal with me. Since they are the same price originally, I might have to pay a bit I guess, but not a huge deal.

I mean, it's that, or try selling my Marlin and buying another bike from another company, which probably won't be significantly better for the price than the Mullet. And it's hard to do that anyway. Also, I'd like to keep working with the LBS, just wish I went with the Mullet in the first place I guess.

Then again, could do what you said, and get a new frame, but who knows if I could manage to sell a Marlin from to make up for the cost, and doing the work to take it apart and build is a pain. Also, don't think my seat post would fit either, would need new that and components won't last anyway... overall might not work.

I put myself in this crappy situation, but oh well.

My best bet is to get lucky with my LBS and get my hands on a Mullet for an evenish exchange. I mean, he's still getting my business, so we'll see.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This would be worth checking out if you fit a size 15"

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....19&category=56

banned
    Feb 2004
    Many good shops will take a bike back if it's only been used a day or two and is in perfect condition. They may even clean it up and sell it again as new (w/extended test ride...lol).

From what it sounds like, they should have asked you a few more questions before pointing you towards a bike. If they knew about your BMX history, they probably would have pointed you towards a beefy hardtail right away, if they knew what they were doing.

Good luck!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0