Question for GUSTAV users- Mtbr.com
    AW_
    locked - time out

Question for GUSTAV users

I have a set of Gustavs on my DH bike. I haven't bled them yet or anything, they came pre-bled and seem to work fine.

I have the lever reach adjustment screw turned out to get them as close to the bars as possible... but they aren't quite as close as I'd like.

I'm wondering how far out they should be (when squeezed / fully compressed) at the closest lever reach adjustment setting? I'd like to set them up so the lever is just about touching the grip. Right now it's still a good... oh... maybe 3/4 inch out?

Wondering if it is something as simple as too much fluid in the system OR maybe that's just how they are???

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    it's just the way they are...maybe get the Dangerboy 2-finger levers...

Meh.
    That's about right. You can do a little custom bending to get the levers a bit closer.

AW_
    locked - time out
    I actually picked up a set of Dangerboy levers. They are about the same distance.

If you are familiar with the brakes... the lever reach adjustment set screw pushes against a rounded steel "kinda triangularly shaped" piece that in turn pushes against the piston in the lever body. I was thinking about filing a couple mm off of this steel piece to set them in closer. Does that make sense? Maybe I'll take some pics.

I'd really like to get them in a bit closer. Otherwise awesome brakes no complaints. Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    I actually picked up a set of Dangerboy levers. They are about the same distance.

If you are familiar with the brakes... the lever reach adjustment set screw pushes against a rounded steel "kinda triangularly shaped" piece that in turn pushes against the piston in the lever body. I was thinking about filing a couple mm off of this steel piece to set them in closer. Does that make sense? Maybe I'll take some pics.

I'd really like to get them in a bit closer. Otherwise awesome brakes no complaints. Thanks for the responses.
    I had the same problem with mine when I got them. I ended up bending the lever blade to make them closer plus I ground down the nub on that steel piece you are referring to. Magura tech support recommended grinding off the nub. Makes the lever about 1/2" closer.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl
    I had the same problem with mine when I got them. I ended up bending the lever blade to make them closer plus I ground down the nub on that steel piece you are referring to. Magura tech support recommended grinding off the nub. Makes the lever about 1/2" closer.
    Right on.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it!

Members who have read this thread: 0