Question for bike shop employees...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Question for bike shop employees...

So I've got a question for those of you who work in bike shops. The question I have is whether or not it's possible to get EP pricing from an online retailer such as competitive cyclist. I know most stuff comes from the qbp catalong but I'm specificaly wondering about frames. I know most shops only carry a few brands and I was wondering how difficult it would be to EP a new frame from another online retailer or from the manufacturer itself.
    Just ride.....

Premium Member
    Contact the manufacturer. You will be expected to provide a pay stub or similar. Smaller builders usually do EP stuff, but some definitely are more interested in forming a partnership with your shop than a single employee that just wants a to get hooked up. An online retailer will never give you EP though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    the only reason I mentioned it, was in the past I worked at a shop and I could have sworn that an employee ordered his frame through competitive cyclist. What are santa cruz/intense/turner like when it comes to this stuff?
    Just ride.....

Pivotal figure
    EP policies vary by manufacturer, some only allow a specific number per shop each year. The other guy you mentioned may have gotten a "Bro" deal, maybe he knew someone there who helped him out?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Premium Member
    All have EP programs for shops that don't carry them IIRC. Wouldn't want to know what the wait time is on a Santa Cruz for an EP deal would be though!

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    All have EP programs for shops that don't carry them IIRC. Wouldn't want to know what the wait time is on a Santa Cruz for an EP deal would be though!
    Considering i've been waiting for a warranty frame for over three weeks now.. you'd look at a few months for a santa cruz EP frame.

You can never EP from an online retailer.. EP is only possible straight from the manufacturer. Intense, SCB, as well as Turner all have decent EP terms.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Premium Member
    Yeah, I've heard some horror stories about lead times for SCBC frames.

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    Yeah, I've heard some horror stories about lead times for SCBC frames.
    My record is one year waiting for a v10 frame. Gen 2 broke, and scb filled an entire year of orders of Gen 3 before redeeming the customer's bike.. Racer missed an entire season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    how does it work, do you put a certain amount of money down on a deposit or do they just ask you to pay for it when it becomes available? Also if someone doesnt want to post the ep deals with any of the companies I listed feel free to PM me, I'll keep it private.
    Just ride.....

Bike Ninja |||
    EP deals work generally as follows :

You request an EP price sheet.

upon getting it you call in your order.

if it's available you pay 100% up front.

If you want something custom you pay 100% up front.

you wait.

you get your frame and go ride.

and no one will post EP deals on this website or tell you. It's quite easy to get them yourself. a simple phone call will generally get you all the numbers you could ever want.

Members who have read this thread: 0