question about unsprung wieght- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

question about unsprung wieght

is it bad too have a lot of sprung weight when youre bike is not that heavy? to be more precise, is it ok to put doubles tracks and a pair of heavy hubs on a frame that weighs as much as a stinky which runs a marzocchi 03 jr t? is sprung wieght really that bad?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_kha
    is it bad too have a lot of sprung weight when youre bike is not that heavy? to be more precise, is it ok to put doubles tracks and a pair of heavy hubs on a frame that weighs as much as a stinky which runs a marzocchi 03 jr t? is sprung wieght really that bad?
    what do you want to ride??? How much you weigh are the first questions we ask,,,, then we answer your question

mtbr member
    i ride dh and fr only and im about 160pounds. can you also please explain how it should be if your lighter or heavier?

mtbr member
    My understanding of unsprung weight is that it will marginally reduce how responsive your suspension is. Basically the more unsprung weight, the more inertia must be overcome when you hit a bump, and the slower the response (ie suspension compression). A good example is that of inverted forks like the shiver, which have much less unsprung weight than regular ones and are consequently more supple over small bumps...of course, this could be a case where people know that inverted forks should be supple, so they all feel it because it must be there...

mtbr member
    does the ratio of unsprung weight to sprung wieght matter? i mean, if the bike is generally heavy, is it ok to have a lot of unprung weight? or is it just generally bad to have a lot of unprung weight regardless of the bike and rider wieght?

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_kha
    does the ratio of unsprung weight to sprung wieght matter?
    as a basic premise of vehicle dynamics it does, but in our situation its a bit like splitting hairs, especially since the rider and chassis masses are somewhat coupled. Also there would be a difference to where the masses are, ie. heavy wheels will affect the system differently from say a heavy swingarm.

i wouldnt worry about the unsprung weight aspect as much as the acceleration/braking aspect; heavy wheels will really bite you there more than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

But as a general rule..

Unsprung weight (i.e. wheels swingarm, suspension, anything that goes up and down with the wheels) is undesirable from a suspension point of view..

Rotating unsprung weight is doubly undesirable, as it affects not only suspension action, but accelerating, braking and cornering.

And yes, the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight is very important, for example a dh bike (or say motocross motorcycle) can have a better ratio, even though the wheels are much heavier than an xc bike. The closer the unsprung weight is to the sprung weight, the mmore difficult it will be to have desirable suspension performance.