Question about Tubeless Tires?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,280

    New question here. Question about Tubeless Tires?

    I was looking a tubeless tires today and was wondering if most UST tires are single ply or if they are dual? Sorry I am new to the tubeless thing.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

  2. #2
    StraightOuttaCompton
    Reputation: Djponee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,145
    well at least with real tubeless and nice rims you wont have to worry about tweaking the rims so bad that the bead wont go in.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    593
    sucks that you have to get ust tires you just put new regular ones on
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

  4. #4
    N* Bomber Crew
    Reputation: Raptordude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,271
    You don't necessarily need UST Tires to run a tubeless setup on UST Rims. I believe you can run a variety of tires. You may want to use Stans however.

    823's with regular DHF and DHR Minions work great with some Stans.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    Well the tires I was looking at are single ply tubeless. It made me think that I could run a normal single ply tire with stans, but I'm not sure.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

  6. #6
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    Well the tires I was looking at are single ply tubeless. It made me think that I could run a normal single ply tire with stans, but I'm not sure.
    yes you can run normal tires with stans...they just burp more
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    Here's the thing about UST set ups - they don't work if you're heavy! Not sure what the cut off point would be, but I am 16.5stone/104 Kilos and no matter what I do, I cannot get them to work for me.

    Initially I was running them around 25 psi, which was obviously too low. They leaked on hard corners and by the time I got to the bottom of a run, they were so soft they pinched. When you pinch flat a UST tyre, it's game over. You can still put in a tube and run them normally of course.

    Second time around I ran them harder, 30 psi but still had the same problem with the rear. I pumped the front up to 37psi, got bounced all over the place and still maanaged to pinch flat. After that I gave up. I am trying to run normal tyres with DH tubes but they are a c**t to get on my Mavic 823 rims. You end up having to use tyre levers and I've already stuffed one inner tube up doing this.

    I know it's 'cause I'm heavy, but it's such a twat because UST rims are quite a bit more expensive.

  8. #8
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Here's the thing about UST set ups - they don't work if you're heavy! Not sure what the cut off point would be, but I am 16.5stone/104 Kilos and no matter what I do, I cannot get them to work for me.

    Initially I was running them around 25 psi, which was obviously too low. They leaked on hard corners and by the time I got to the bottom of a run, they were so soft they pinched. When you pinch flat a UST tyre, it's game over. You can still put in a tube and run them normally of course.

    Second time around I ran them harder, 30 psi but still had the same problem with the rear. I pumped the front up to 37psi, got bounced all over the place and still maanaged to pinch flat. After that I gave up. I am trying to run normal tyres with DH tubes but they are a c**t to get on my Mavic 823 rims. You end up having to use tyre levers and I've already stuffed one inner tube up doing this.

    I know it's 'cause I'm heavy, but it's such a twat because UST rims are quite a bit more expensive.
    16.5 stones is about 231 pounds.....I started riding tubeless at 225.....I ran 823's with Michilins (UST Tires) and also ran them with maxxis highrollers and minions.....the minions and rollers were not UST tires....they usally took about a month to really hold air....they would still burb every now again....did they lose air yes, but not that drastic.....just make sure you use Stans.....also soapy water helps a lot to get tires on/off/seal.....

    IMO Michelins are the most durable and best DH tubeless tires
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    When I saw your repy, all I saw initially was 'shiver me timbers, 16.5 stone is about 231 pounds...' I thought, 'well there's no need to rub it in, I mean I know I'm carrying a little more than neccessary but there's no need to be rude!'

    I was using Stans on the second attempt but it made no difference. The tyres may or may not take a little time to start holding their air but it's of little consolation when you pinch flat the first run down. The Stans latex didn't seal the hole even with a little encouragement.

    I think you may be right about the Michellin tyres, they seem to be more durable and of sturdier construction than the Maxxis USTs but I'm through with tubeless now apart from on my trail bike, where they work really well. I've been running Stans on those for 9 months now with no problems and no punctures.

  10. #10
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    When I saw your repy, all I saw initially was 'shiver me timbers, 16.5 stone is about 231 pounds...' I thought, 'well there's no need to rub it in, I mean I know I'm carrying a little more than neccessary but there's no need to be rude!' .
    didn't mean it that way at all....everyone called me the fat guy at one time....riding made me lose the weight so keep riding....wasn't trying to rub it in, but to show you mine was the same weight as you and I do stuff like this every ride on tubeless....

    tubeless tires have a "film" that coats the tires to form the seal......non ust tires don't have this...the stans needs to go everywhere for it to hold the seal....you should violently shake stans bottle to make sure you mix the crystals before putting it into ur tire.....2 scoops is good (replace every three months in dry conditions). that being said...I find it takes like 4 to 5 weeks for the stans to build a air blocking layer around the rim and casing....but burps still happen on drops....you might want to try again with Michelins
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    So would single ply ties work with or will I be ripping holes in sidewalls all the time. I have had probles tring to get wire bead tires to seat so I was thinking folding bead single ply would work better.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

  12. #12
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    So would single ply ties work with or will I be ripping holes in sidewalls all the time. I have had probles tring to get wire bead tires to seat so I was thinking folding bead single ply would work better.
    sketchy ...I wouldn't do it but some do.....

    easy way to get on....get some dishwashing soap and make it thick and slippery.....coat rim and bead of tire....I can put tires on by hand doing this without levers....seating them is easy to with soapy water.....thicker the better with soapy water
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  13. #13
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS

    IMO Michelins are the most durable and best DH tubeless tires
    Amen to that I was able to ride slowly back to my vehicle after a flat with my dh16. Tires are tough as nails. I am running one tubless with no stans and havent got a flat yet . My front flat was because I am running a tube in it and haven't converted my front to tubless yet..

  14. #14
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Amen to that I was able to ride slowly back to my vehicle after a flat with my dh16. Tires are tough as nails. I am running one tubless with no stans and havent got a flat yet . My front flat was because I am running a tube in it and haven't converted my front to tubless yet..
    put the stans in it.......if you hit a nail, glass, or anything you have a better chance of sealing.....I got three flats at whistler and they all sealed up with stans
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  15. #15
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    I am I just couldn't get it in after I got the tire on the rim . Forgot to add it right before I got the last part of the bead over the rim. I need to turn my tires around anyways so I will do it then .

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    sketchy ...I wouldn't do it but some do.....

    easy way to get on....get some dishwashing soap and make it thick and slippery.....coat rim and bead of tire....I can put tires on by hand doing this without levers....seating them is easy to with soapy water.....thicker the better with soapy water
    I have ahd problems with wire beads being wobbly so the bead won't seal...any solution for this?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

  17. #17
    N* Bomber Crew
    Reputation: Raptordude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,271
    Also, after you inflate a tubeless tire with Stans place the inflated tire on the wheel on a flat surface so the Stans seals the bead on the rim for about 15 minutes. Flip and do the other side.

    Also, after you inflate the tire with Stans for the first time, shake the wheel a lot so you get the Stans all over the place.

    Tubeless is a little bit of a tricky thing, just make sure you do all the small details and you'll be fine!
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

  18. #18
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    I have ahd problems with wire beads being wobbly so the bead won't seal...any solution for this?
    deflate then soap up bead and tire and re-inflate
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    One more question. Are there any tubeless tires that will help my bike loose weight?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

  20. #20
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    I have ahd problems with wire beads being wobbly so the bead won't seal...any solution for this?
    If soaping the bead doesn't help pop it in place, throw a tube in there and run it for a few rides to help reform the bead.
    The ONLY reason I care for tubeless is you get to run the 823's with the weight of the 721's. If the 721's were as strong as the 823's I'd run tubed 721's in a heart beat. Stans, air compressors, soapy water, blah blah blah is a pain in the ass.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  21. #21
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    One more question. Are there any tubeless tires that will help my bike loose weight?
    Depends on your current set up. What are you running?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    2.5 front, 2.35 rear nevegals in 2 ply super sticky. I was looking at the specialized single ply 2bliss tires. What ya think.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.