question about rear travel 4 fr and dh- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

question about rear travel 4 fr and dh

I'm kinda curious. I'm gonna use two different companies: Kona and Specialized.
    For specialized, their downhill race-oriented bike is the Demo 8 with 8" in the rear. Their more freeride-oriented bike (from what i've heard) is the Demo 9 with 9" in the rear. So from downhill to freeride, Specialized goes up an inch.
    For Kona, their downhill bike the Stab has 8" in the rear and their freeride-oriented bike the Stinky has 7". So from downhill to freeride, Kona goes down an inch.
    So my question is, who is right if anyone? Should they be going up an inch, down an inch, or staying the same from downhill racing to freeriding.
    Now I know the bikes I've listed and the riding types can be mixed around (ex. Demo 8 used for freeriding instead of downhill racing or used for both) but the way i put the bikes in categories is from what i've read. Thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    both are right ...just different styles of bikes....doesn't really matter. Once you get around the 8 inch level for travel then pretty much all the things are the same if the bike is set up right
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    there right to how they catigorized there bikes. but it is basicly personal preference and how you ride. for DH riding 8" or rear travle is a prity neutral amount, so its not to much and its not not enough. the Demo 9 IMHO is more designed for like Rampage type freeride and the stuff that bender does. and the stinky is more designed for more of the new slope style free ride stuff where ur seeing more ppl w/ shorter travle bikes even down to 4" or 6".

Meh.
    Stinky still does rampage style stuff just fine.
    The amount of travel doesn't really matter. Shorter travel, do-it-all frames are in for now.
    Geometry is more important than the amount of travel. The DH specific bikes have a lower BB height (lower center of gravity) and slacker angles (more high speed stability). FR bikes tend to have a little higher bottom bracket for more clearance, and the angles are tighter for more maneuverability.

ride hard take risks
    It is what you want it to be. Because the manufacture markets it as a 8in DH or a 10in FR is kinda up to you. Some of the new young guns are running HT.
    Yes the geometry BB height all make a differance in the way frames handle its still up to you, what makes you ride your best?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You will find many pros use less travel again , barrel was using 6" front and rear alot last year
    peats orange only has 6" rear too , I guess the pros want a lighter nimbler frame they can throw around and they dont rely as much on suspension as us shmucks

mtbr member

It's not about the inches...

...it's about the quality. That and BB height, geometry, WB, etc...
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    both are right ...just different styles of bikes....doesn't really matter. Once you get around the 8 inch level for travel then pretty much all the things are the same if the bike is set up right
    yeah, anything less is for xc only, right brother?
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Stinky still does rampage style stuff just fine.
    im not sayin it cant, i said in my oppinion that is how it seems to me that they r marketing the bikes to ppl.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I'm kinda curious. I'm gonna use two different companies: Kona and Specialized.
    For specialized, their downhill race-oriented bike is the Demo 8 with 8" in the rear. Their more freeride-oriented bike (from what i've heard) is the Demo 9 with 9" in the rear. So from downhill to freeride, Specialized goes up an inch.
    For Kona, their downhill bike the Stab has 8" in the rear and their freeride-oriented bike the Stinky has 7". So from downhill to freeride, Kona goes down an inch.
    So my question is, who is right if anyone? Should they be going up an inch, down an inch, or staying the same from downhill racing to freeriding.
    Now I know the bikes I've listed and the riding types can be mixed around (ex. Demo 8 used for freeriding instead of downhill racing or used for both) but the way i put the bikes in categories is from what i've read. Thanks.
    Id say its not really too important, maybe more travel for downhilling, cause in most cases it makes u faster but only to a certain extent. However its not about the travel, its about what u can do with ur bike. Too many people think u need to have huge travel bikes to do huge stuff. Look at Wade Simmons 40 footer in nwd 3, he lands it fine the first time with 7 inchess. However when Bender goes to do it he does it three times with like 12 inchess and doesnt land it once. Then again its Bender. Im just saying i think u could still go huge on 6 and 7 inch bikes, it just shows that ur a better rider.

Members who have read this thread: 0