Question about 24" wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Question about 24" wheels

Hi there folks.
    I am currently looking at a used bike (banshee scratch) here in Norway, wich is set up with a Marzocchi Drop Off Triple with 170mm (aprox. 6.7") and 24" Halo SAS both front and rear.

So my question is how this (the wheels/fork-combo)is suited for FR? I am not going to freeride hardcore bikemoviestyle, just play around a little.
    24" does to me seem a little small for rolling over things, but I am a small guy myself

mtbr member
    in the rear isnt so bad but i think front and rear would be a bit much if i were you and you really like the bike buy it but atleast replace the front wheel with a 26 asap

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I say that the only way to decide that is to ride the bike yourself. You can read and re-read on this website and others about how 24" wheels suck and blah, blah, blah...

The reality is that the only person who can actually make the decision is YOU! I ride an '05 Big Hit, (w/ 24" in the rear), and I love it. But I chose to purchase the bike even after reading horror story after horror story about how the 24" rear didn't roll as fast and how it sucked, and how I'd be the biggest loser in the world if I bought it.

Truth is, I'll never go pro, no matter what bike I'm on. I'll never be the best, and I'm comfortable with that. I have a LOT of fun when I ride, and that's all I wanted out of the bike, and out of riding in general.

Back to the actual topic; I think that if the bike is in decent condition, and you're getting a decent deal on it, you should go for it!

You can always buy a 26" front for it later on, but if it gets you riding, you should do it bro!

Good luck!
    ADMIT NOTHING!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    buy it and try it, if you don't like it, dump the 24's (that frame will take a 26" rear, right?)

mtbr member
    Really 24's are only something you can judge after getting some serious rolling time on them. Currently I own 2 bikes. One rolling 26's the other 24's. They are both set up for DJs and Street riding but they are so different that I find it good to have both. I just pick one depending on my mood. The 26's roll so easy but take way more effort to get going. Recently I have been riding the 24's way more lately as its just so fun.

mtbr member
    you want a 24" tire dirt cheap?

l have a Kenda Nevy at the shop, never used - $25+ shipping
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a banshee scratch with 170mm boxxer up front with a 26 in wheel in the front and a 24 in the rear. The 24 in the rear gives slightly better acceleration and the 26 is better than a 24 in the front because it rolls over objects better. also, the 24 in tire in the rear chages the BB height (lowers it ) and slackens the head tube angle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    p.s. its great for freeride.

mtbr member
    i thought this furom would surely turn it to an e-bash on 24's

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    I've got an 05 bighit fsr with 24 rear wheel too, and have found it totally fine for enjoyable DH stuff... but I also won't ever be getting into racing or anything!
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

Members who have read this thread: 0