Q's for Demo 9 Pro owners- Mtbr.com
    Beyond the stars

Q's for Demo 9 Pro owners

I'm guessing this would only apply to D9 Pro owners because they are the only bikes that come with the Ringle' rear hub. So, if you have a D9 Pro or know about the Ringle' bolt-on freehub, please help.

I have heard/seen some posts of guys with this rear hub having some problems and I was wondering what kind of problems and how/if they were resolved?

When I'm in top gear (smallest ring in back, biggest in front) and I put any pressure on the drivetrain, it feels like the chain is skipping, but it's not (the skipping is in the freehub assembly) and not the chain. Is this problem common to this hub? Can it be fixed?

Unless I'm mashing the pedals it rides fine, but when I put stress on the drivetrain, the freehup seems to "skip" a few teeth? Has anyone heard of this? and/or does anyone know if it can be fixed?

Thanks

suspension whore
    just for clarity
    are you talking about the 04 demo 9 pro which came with a double up front?

I like bikes

Demo 9 and Ringle hub

I have a Demo 9 frame that came with the Ringle hub. Within 100 miles, the main bearings (not the freehub bearings) were shot. I haven't had any problems with the pawls slipping on the free hub though. my suggestion would be to open it up and clean everything up reall good with a citrus degreaser. then put a teflon lubricant on there. do not use heavy grease or anything, or else the pawls won't release and they will skip teeth or cause lots of drag.

I am waiting for King to come out with a 150 x 12 hub

Beyond the stars

Yes . . .

Yes double ring up front (22, 32 front and 12-34 out back) mid-cage rear derealier (sp)

Beyond the stars

Because I don't have a lot of milage . . .

on my hub/bike that might be it (somewhere around 100 miles by now)

I'm not afraid to open it up, is there a diagram or drawings and instructions somewhere? I'd hate to try to take it apart and have it "sprong" all over the room like some kind of swiss watch?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Is it the same hub that comes on the DH? I know mine has a ringle, not sure what model it is though. So far it's been really smooth and reliable, pretty heavy, but hasn't failed yet.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Glad to Be Alive
    is it tighten all the way
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

pro bud spud
    Mine failed 3 times last summer. Ringle was good about fixing it, but that's a lot of down time.
    You could feel the paws engage at different times as you spun the freehub body. It remained like that, even after they replaced just about everything.
    My advice, buy a backup wheel. Woodmans are pretty affordable 150mm hubs.

Beyond the stars

I don't know much about woodmans?

Are there other options;

Replace only the hub, and if so which 150mm hub?

New wheel and hub, and if so which will come with right hub?

Azonic outlaws come with a 150mm option?

how are the EX729 rims compared to others?

SNOWRIDER
    I think a Hadley would work great for you

I am running the Hadley golds with the EX729 rims and they are bombproof
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

I like bikes

Hadleys are OK

Hadley's have the same technology as the Ringle (three simulaneously engaging pawls, sealed bearings, aluminum shell), but is of a better quality. my only advice if you buy a hadley hub is to make sure you buy the tools necessary to take it apart. my friend's failed on him after over 1000 miles (which is acceptable), but it took Hadley over a month to get the special tools in stock so he could repair it. That is the only drawback to the Hadley--hard to disassemble

Innovate or die!
    yeah i almost got the same skipping feeling in my drivetrain yesterday.......might just be the SRAM and shimano combo...........really hope it isn't the hadley because it is brand new.....BTW the hadley does not have simultaneously engaging rings......only one engages 36 x 3== 108pts.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

I like bikes
    good point--I forgot about the Trials version of the hadleys, which do indeed have 108 engagements. however, i would never use this for the rigors of DH racing, as all hadley did (from my understanding) is slightly "misalign" each pawl so they engage separately instead of together. this means each pawl sees 3x the force of the normal 36 engagement hub, without being any stronger. Now if Hadley was a responsible manufacturer and would post literature on a website, I could go verify or disprove this...

Normal Hadleys are all 36 tooth versions, and operate basically the same as a Ringle or other 36 tooth hub.

if you have pictures showing beefier pawls on the trials hadleys, please post em