Putting my bike on a diet- Mtbr.com
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja

Putting my bike on a diet

Hi guys... i'm putting my race bike on a diet right now. Weighs in at 39lbs. I've also got two 2.5 WTB Dissent Race on the way along with Sunline grips on order... That should bring it down to 38lbs. How much can i lose from a lighter stem and bars. I dont want to go with carbon. The stem, preferably white and the handlebars i dont really care for colour choice... Also, how much weight will i save going to a Manitou ISX6 Evolver shock in the rear. My shock is a 8.75X2.75....

Frame : Custom White Ibex Zone FR-1
    Shock : Manitou Swinger 6 Way
    Fork : Devolved Manitou Sherman Slider Plus
    Fr Derailer : Shimano Deore
    Rr Derailer : Shimano XT
    Shifters : Shimano LX
    Brakes : Hayes Stroker Trail
    Tyres : 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 60D
    Wheelset : Azonic Outlaws White
    Crankset : Truvativ Holzefeller with FSA bash
    BB : Truvativ Howitzer Team
    Cockpit : Truvativ Hussefelt
    Headset : FSA Pig DH Pro
    Pedals : Shimano 737
    Saddle : WTB Rocket V
    Rear Axle : Azonic Momentum Axle
    Grips : White Oneals

Glad to Be Alive
    ti spring
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    custom wheelset. a couple of pounds saved on wheels will feel like much more saved on Ti spring, bars, stem, etc.

moaaar shimz
    Drop tha sherman..

Glad to Be Alive
    reaLLY it comes down to how much you want to spend...but reality is....the bike at 39 is pretty lite already
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Meh.
    Ditch that heavy arse post. Get a Thomson.

2-piece rotors can shave some weight, but may require some "custom fitting." If you don't need all that stoppping power, go to a smaller rotor in the rear.

Bars and stem. Protapers are nice and light. Holzfeller bars are pretty light. Azonic has a couple offerings, I can't remember off the top of my head. I think the AZ-7 wasn't too bad. IIRC, they also have a scandium bar. Syntace makes a nice light stem if I remember right.

Ti coil or an air shock. An air shock will drop a substantial amount of weight. Doesn't Dave have one sitting around? Weigh it. And weigh your Swinger. It won't be exact since they're different sizes, but you'll get an idea. Or hop on the intraweb and do some number crunching. My guess is a pound or two. Springs are heavy.

Go single ring if that's an option.

Go to an Ultegra or an XT cassette. It sits on a aluminum carrier. This improves the rigidity and drops weight. If you have a LX cassette now, and make the move to XT, you drop roughly 6 ounces.

Wheels... The Outlaws aren't terribly heavy. I believe they weigh in somewhere around 600g for the rims. They are rebranded Alex Supra D rims, which are pretty nice. You can drop some weight by relacing them with some nice spokes (double butted) and alloy nips. You can expect a 10-15% weight savings. That's probably somewhere around 10oz.

Go for some XT cranks, you're not a big dude, I think you'll be alright on them. The XT cranks WITH bottom bracket are actually a bit lighter than your Holzfeller arms and rings alone. And since the new 2008 XT stuff is out... the 2007 stuff should be going for cheap...er.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 09-30-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Bike Ninja |||
    Get a new frame... jk..

different wheels will lighten 'er up. go ghetto tubeless, or real tubeless w/ a new wheelset

ti spring

lighter post (Thompson)

ditch the heavy ass cranks, go with some saints or XTs

Get rid of your double front chainring, get an e13 LG1,

and really get rid of that fork. -> hate to say it but a boxxer Team or WC would come in serious handy in this situation. or a 40... or a 888 SL (anything other then that sherman).

you could get a Rocco, i believe they are ligher (shock to shock, excluding spring) then the manipoo,

your brakes are fairly light, you can, like xsl_will said, get some aluminum carrier rotors.
    Last edited by chooofoojoo; 09-30-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

EastBaySteez
    Go out and ride your bike and stop complaining.
    Just kiddin bro

Id leave it as it is. Get a air shox if you want to lose alot of weight fast. I love mine...

maybe a seat post, bars, and stem. But really 39 is pretty light my 7point is back to 43ish.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Meh.
    If you're running DH tubes, I think they're stupid. Go with regular tubes, or I'll let you have my Stan's tubeless stuff (strips, sealant, syringe) for uber-cheap since I don't use it anymore.

-> SickLines.com <-
    DH Race bikes typically don't have front derailleurs

If its really a DH bike, you'll want to get chainguide on that thing.

39 seems a bit generous as well with the spec you have on there but it is possible perhaps.

You can save weight everywhere on that bike just depends how much money you have.

Pivotal figure
    39 lbs?? I would have been more than happy if my DH rig was even below 42 lbs. That's a very good weight if it's accurate. My experience is that when you start getting super light parts you end up replacing them frequently or have to adjust your riding style to avoid breaking stuff. Some areas that could cut weight without losing strength: Headset (King) Seat/Seatpost (SDG I-Beam) , no front Der. for sure, lighter wheelset for racing (use the outlaws for regular riding and save the race set).

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Drop tha sherman..
    Sherman weighs 6.8 lbs, pretty light for a cheap DC fork. I had one and the front end seemed super light and flickable. Keep it for simplicity.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Glad to Be Alive

N* Bomber Crew
    1 thing you can do is drop the dual ring setup, go with a e13 LG1. You then drop the granny ring, a bashguard, front shifter pod, front deralliur, and cable which adds up to about 1.5 lbs or maybe more.

Saddle, Seatpost, Stem, and Handlebars could all go lighter.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    xsl will - 6" rotors... definitely going that route soon. Nah... single ring is not an option... i still need to climb on occasions... with single ring, wont i be putting more weight on with the need of a chainguide? As for airshock... getting an ISX6 has been lurking in my head for a while now... I'll probably go that way too... That shock is phenomenal... I'm running Sram PG950... how much weight will i save if i went to an XT cassette or maybe a PG990 or something? And how much does my post weigh in comparison to a Thompson? Also i'm running 1.2mm wall tubes... Dont think i'll be going tubeless soon but thanx for the offer dude... you a pal!!! XD

choofoojoo - all those forks are way too long... i'd like to stay below 180mm. My sherman is at 6.8lbs and should be lower with a cut steerer... Plus it's devolved and it's butter... Not all manitous are poo... Once devolved, their forks are killer and their shocks just kick ass... especially the new ones...

Motomokey - Yea dude... i need to shut up and ride... but ever since working 3 jobs and school... i need to spend some money on some stuff to keep myself sane... XD I know 39 is pretty good... but i know this bike can go way lighter... question is how much lighter before i make it get thrown around by rocks and not able to plough as well anymore...

Mtb-biker - Yea i know... but i'm gonna stay dual ring for for the weekends most of the stuff we do here in Norcal anyways... Climbing can be a b1tch... XD

Kenbentit - yea i think it's pretty accurate... i remember i dropped from 44lbs losing my monster t, and hussefelt cranks and i cant remember what else... ever since then, the weight weenie in me just came out after seeing how much smoother the fork is working with less unsprung weight and how well i can throw it around corners which i could never before...

Raptordude - Oooooo... now i see how much weight can be lost from going to a Singlering... thanx. I never thought of it that way... But i'll still stay dual ring... XD

SMT - I like that beer weight losing thing... maybe i should go try it out... XD

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    xsl will - 6" rotors... definitely going that route soon. Nah... single ring is not an option... i still need to climb on occasions... with single ring, wont i be putting more weight on with the need of a chainguide? As for airshock... getting an ISX6 has been lurking in my head for a while now... I'll probably go that way too... That shock is phenomenal... I'm running Sram PG950... how much weight will i save if i went to an XT cassette or maybe a PG990 or something? And how much does my post weigh in comparison to a Thompson? Also i'm running 1.2mm wall tubes... Dont think i'll be going tubeless soon but thanx for the offer dude... you a pal!!! XD

choofoojoo - all those forks are way too long... i'd like to stay below 180mm. My sherman is at 6.8lbs and should be lower with a cut steerer... Plus it's devolved and it's butter... Not all manitous are poo... Once devolved, their forks are killer and their shocks just kick ass... especially the new ones...

Motomokey - Yea dude... i need to shut up and ride... but ever since working 3 jobs and school... i need to spend some money on some stuff to keep myself sane... XD I know 39 is pretty good... but i know this bike can go way lighter... question is how much lighter before i make it get thrown around by rocks and not able to plough as well anymore...

Mtb-biker - Yea i know... but i'm gonna stay dual ring for for the weekends most of the stuff we do here in Norcal anyways... Climbing can be a b1tch... XD

Kenbentit - yea i think it's pretty accurate... i remember i dropped from 44lbs losing my monster t, and hussefelt cranks and i cant remember what else... ever since then, the weight weenie in me just came out after seeing how much smoother the fork is working with less unsprung weight and how well i can throw it around corners which i could never before...

Raptordude - Oooooo... now i see how much weight can be lost from going to a Singlering... thanx. I never thought of it that way... But i'll still stay dual ring... XD

SMT - I like that beer weight losing thing... maybe i should go try it out... XD
    PG990 is heavier than XT.

I don't know what size seatpost you have. The Truvativ weighs 307g @ 27.2x350mm A Thomson weighs 235 @ 27.2x330. The Thomson is stronger and made better. You could go carbon.

Tubless is the shiznit. Run lower pressures, less likely to pinch flat, etc.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    PG990 is heavier than XT.

I don't know what size seatpost you have. The Truvativ weighs 307g @ 27.2x350mm A Thomson weighs 235 @ 27.2x330. The Thomson is stronger and made better. You could go carbon.

Tubless is the shiznit. Run lower pressures, less likely to pinch flat, etc.
    cool... i'll look into the XT cassetes... as for seatpost... i'm a 31.6mm X300mm or something... i cut my seat post really short... only need it to raise it 2" for XC... nice being short... XD

How much does a carbon one weigh compared to a Thompson?

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Sherman weighs 6.8 lbs, pretty light for a cheap DC fork. I had one and the front end seemed super light and flickable. Keep it for simplicity.
    66 SL 5 pounds.... bettehhhh

Meh.
    cool... i'll look into the XT cassetes... as for seatpost... i'm a 31.6mm X300mm or something... i cut my seat post really short... only need it to raise it 2" for XC... nice being short... XD

How much does a carbon one weigh compared to a Thompson?
    Depends on how much you spend. There are carbon posts that weigh more than aluminum posts. There are posts that are actually aluminum wrapped in carbon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend to shave off the grams...

I think the first things i'd do would be to go with an xt cassette and thomson x4 stem (that truvativ is an anchor). Plus a new bar and seatpost and seat (thomson post and a ti version of your seat or a I-beam post and seat would drop even more). These should drop over a pound.

Your wheels are pretty heavy like others have said, being light you shouldn't have any problems with a wheelset like hope pro 2s on mavic 721s. You could also drop to a 6" or 7" rotor... then get Ti rotor bolts and bolts for your frame...

But with an air shock and the cassette, stem, bar, seat and post you should be pretty lightened up.

Meh.
    My Holzfeller stem is only 40 grams heavier than a Thomson. And given how much cheaper it is than a Thomson... I can live with that.

Broken and dizzy
    lighter set of wheels
    2.5 up front, 2.35 in the back
    lightweight tubes
    SDG post and I-Beam saddle
    Sunline V-One stem and bar

Meh.
    The V-One stuff is not THAT light.

Doesn't matter what size the tires are... There are 2.5s that weigh less than 2.35s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With the $$$ spent to cut grams off a FR / DH bike you could start stuffing the piggy bank for an AM ride

Calm Like a Bomb

Oooooo... now i see how much weight can be lost from going to a Singlering... thanx. I never thought of it that way... But i'll still stay dual ring... XD
    u know u could have just read my post in your other thread for pretty much the same info....lol...glad u get it now though....i think u will still be able to climb well enough with a 36t chainring or close to....
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    .i think u will still be able to climb well enough with a 36t chainring or close to....
    Thats a very subjective statement unless you have seen what he needs to climb...smoe trails are steeper/longer than others.

One alternative to keeping the 2 rigs is to have a 30 or 32 tooth ring and switch it out for days that require climbing

Calm Like a Bomb
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10

Calm Like a Bomb
    had to one up me with the extra dot eh...lol...i deleted my post b/c it was a cranky one
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    My Holzfeller stem is only 40 grams heavier than a Thomson. And given how much cheaper it is than a Thomson... I can live with that.
    i think imma go with holzefeller stem then XD

and i think imma go ghetto tubeless too... is it hard to do?

Meh.
    I think the Syntace is like Thomson light, but not as expensive.

Ghetto tubeless is easy. You still need Stans to seal it up. But basically you take a 20" tube, split it down the center, stretch it over the rim (let the excess go over the rim), mount the tire, cut off the excess tube, fill it up with Stans, shake it all around, blow air to seat it, shake it all around. Done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Get XT cranks. They're durable. I've been running mine all year. a bunch of races and +- 25 days at Northstar and other riding...

Do ghetto tubeless, too. Super easy to setup. Took me about an hour, the hardest part was just getting the tire on there. I'm not looking forward to changing tires, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Definit

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    I think the Syntace is like Thomson light, but not as expensive.

Ghetto tubeless is easy. You still need Stans to seal it up. But basically you take a 20" tube, split it down the center, stretch it over the rim (let the excess go over the rim), mount the tire, cut off the excess tube, fill it up with Stans, shake it all around, blow air to seat it, shake it all around. Done.
    soooooo... what ineed for ghetto tubeless are 20" tubes, stans sealent... Are there different kinds of tubes or sealent i need to look out for?

Meh.
    Stans only makes one type. If you want to go tubeless I'll let you have the two Stans strips, syringe, and a half-ish bottle of stans for like 10 bucks.

You may also need some rim tape. To push the strip further up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1 - XT cranks and cassette
    could take off 1-2 pounds.

Meh.
    XT cranks and cassette would drop about 18 ounces.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XT cranks and cassette would drop about 18 ounces.
    Between 1 and 2 lbs, like I said.
    Ok, I don't know what Holzfeller cranks/BB weigh, but my SRAM 11-34 cassette is ~450g anyway.

Florida Rider
    yay for weird/annoying looking smileys XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

Members who have read this thread: 0