Pushed Van RC or Vivid on Maestro- Mtbr.com
    Addicted
    May 2006

Pushed Van RC or Vivid on Maestro

I've got a Giant Faith sitting in my garage. I've never actually ridden it. I picked it up and thought I would build a mini-dh bike out of it, well 5 months later...I broke my Session at the last PA race. My Foes is currently a loaner bike and I don't want to swap any parts off it. So I'm looking at building up the Faith to finish off the rest of the season while warranty gets sorted out and to hold me over until my new bike becomes available.

I've got a Vanilla RC to go on it and I know that having the shock pushed with the "Factory Race System" tune it should prove to be pretty nice. Pair that with an Obtanium Ti spring and all should be well.

However, of the guys I ride with a few of them ride the Vivids. The shock is certainly smooth and very tunable. I like the aspect of being able to open up the damper, change the tune, and rebuild it without needing any special tools or having to have it charged with nitrogen.
    I haven't heard of any reviews from riders riding any Maestro suspension bikes with a Vivid which makes me wonder a bit.

After this season is over and my other dh frame becomes available the Faith will probably become another loaner bike and will likely be setup for a fairly heavy friend(220lbs+).

Anyone have any recommendations for which shock to go with? Experience with a Vivid on Maestro?
    If it helps make suggestions I'm 155lbs w/gear and typically run my suspension with a fairly "dead" feel. Rebound is not fast enough to buck me and not slow enough to pack up, but pretty close. I generally run my fork fairly stiff with a good bit of LSC and minimal HSC. I like the rear end to feel a little softer than the fork as I tend to ride over the front end a bit more. All help is appreciated.

-Kevin

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I have a vivid on a cove shocker. It's similar to meastro. I like it alot. Smooth kinda dead feeling. Really fast and confident on gnar. Could jump alittle beter but thats probably just me.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

GAME ON!
    van rc is pretty much the go-to coil shock on dw-link mkiii bikes and we all know how similar the two systems are.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Addicted
    May 2006
    I know alot of people really like the Vivid's on the Sunday.
    The Vivid and Pushed VRC in the end will come out to cost about the same.
    I have the Van RC. It's easy enough to get a Vivid here.

I guess really it comes do to knowing if a tuned VRC can perform as well as the Vivid despite the lack of adjustments?

-Kevin

Roll on Spring Time!
    I discussed this with my service tech when I was based in the Uk. The reply I got was that a pushed shocked will be set for the bike and the riders weight and style. The only adjustment require after the PUSH treatment is rebound for personal taste. SO doesnt that really negate the requirements for lack of adjustability. Having said that I have liked the sound of the Vivids DIY offerings, unfortunately my frame doesnt match the I2I of the vivids.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well i used to run a DHX 5.0 that i had pushed on my old Yeti ASX, which made a HUGE difference overall better performance, more supple, better response tuned for my bike / weight. I also currently have a Pushed Fox Van which problably made an even bigger difference than than on my Yeti... the bike is so plush, yet responsive tuned for my weight is perfect it ramps up great, feels great at high speeds works 100 times better altogether .. the stock Fox Van on the perp felt mediocre at best, now with it Pushed i dont see any shock that i could replace it with that would be considered an *upgrade*

i'd push the RC

Glad to Be Alive
    honestly....if the bike is just tempory then dump the least amount of money possible....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Addicted
    May 2006
    I'm not concerned with the cost issue. It may be temporary but it will stay in my stable for years to come. I have many friends that want to get into downhilling but can't quite afford a new bike so I lend out my spares. The Faith will become the 3rd spare dh bike once the new frame becomes available, which I'm still completely uncertain of when that will be. I may end up riding the Faith for 6-8 months even.

I like to do things right the first time. I'll be completely unhappy if I know something can be better or is lacking in performance. I knocked out all the bearings and stripped the frame today. I'll order up an Enduro bearing kit to get things going smooth.

I think I'll go the Pushed VRC/Obtanium route and spring for a Vivid on the new ride. Come to think of it, if I go that route I'll have a different brand rear shock on all 4 DH bikes. Fun!

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The only thing to think about is that the Pushed VRC will be tuned for your weight, your riding style, etc. So if you plan on letting other people use it later on it may ride horrible for them, while you could tune the Vivid to ride better for them.

I don't know if that is much of a concern, but since you plan on it being a loaner bike for friends, you may want to consider that.

Addicted
    May 2006
    That is one reserve I have with the pushed VanRC, but then I got to thinking that I could easily setup my Foes or my Session for a heavier rider as I have spare heavier springs for the Revox and the Curnutt and let the light guys rip the Faith.

I got to rebuild my 3rd 2010 Boxxer WC today for a local ripper and those things are so easy to rebuild and work on that I kind of want the Vivd just so that I can pull it apart every few months and have the same kind of experience.

Maybe this will help sway my decision. How reliable are the VanRC's? I know that nearly every bike I've ever seen with a regular Vanilla has been pretty darn gross and in need of a rebuild, granted they are 4-8 years old. Are the seals and whatnot going to be durable enough to make it worthwhile. I seem to recall Push uses their own seals?

-Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0