Purchased a Demo, and its too small.... Any Help?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Purchased a Demo, and its too small.... Any Help?

I posted this in the specialized forum, but im looking for a quick response about geting a larger frame.

I ordered a small demo 8 from my local dealer and picked it up tonight. I feel like the reach on the bike is a little short, and the seatpost/ride height is a little tall. If i were to want a medium frame, should my dealer have any problem with exchanging it (After they put it together). They would only have to exchange frames correct?

Im 5' 9.5" btw.

Any other demo riders have an issue w/ this? I feel like a medium w/ a cut down seatpost would be better, given the standover height is not excessively taller.

I post too much.
    A medium is the right size for your height, why did you get a small in the first place?

They should have no trouble exchanging it so long as it's not dirty or ridden or anything, they won't swap frames, they'll simply order a new one and put the one you bought on the showrrom floor.

mtbr member
    swapping frames would be WAY more of a pain for a shop than just ordering a new bike. yes they put it together, but tons of stuff is already assembled when it comes from specialized. starting from the frame and swapping everything is a pain.

if your shop stocks stuff like that it should be no problem for them to order you a new one, but if it's mainly like an XC bike shop or something and you did a special order, it might be harder :-/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I stood over what i was told was a large demo that was in for service, and it seemed that the top tube was kindof close to the package. I really should have asked to ride it. Anyhow i asked to order a medium, thinking that should be right. Then my dealer called me to say that the other demo was a medium, so i thought a small would make sense. I now realize that the standover heights are a lot closer on the s/m than the reach.

StraightOuttaCompton
    should have looked on the site for the info.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

i drink shower water
    give it to me.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I am 5'9" and I ride a medium Demo9. Trade up if you can.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    They should have no trouble exchanging it so long as it's not dirty or ridden or anything, they won't swap frames, they'll simply order a new one and put the one you bought on the showrrom floor.
    Doubt it. What if the shop he ordered the frame from isn't a big DH shop? At a lot of shops it would take months for a frame like that to sell. I know at my shop, it would take months, and we would have to end up marking the crap down on the frame.

Good luck getting an across the board trade. It was your mistake, not the shops.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark03
    I stood over what i was told was a large demo that was in for service, and it seemed that the top tube was kindof close to the package. I really should have asked to ride it. Anyhow i asked to order a medium, thinking that should be right. Then my dealer called me to say that the other demo was a medium, so i thought a small would make sense. I now realize that the standover heights are a lot closer on the s/m than the reach.
    Standover height is a bit of a useless measure anyway, it only matters when you *GULP* stand over the bike. When you're on the pedals it's totally useless.

Top tube length is what really matters.

The Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    give it to me.
    or me
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

squish is good
    I don't think you'll have a huge problem getting the bike swapped. Most shops should have a return policy unless they made you sign something that says all sales are final. I can't imagine the shop refusing it if it doesn't fit you and they recommended the size. Now if you specifically asked for a small against their recommendation it could be a bit tougher. Specialized is a monster of a company, if the shop gives you a lot of trouble try contacting your local Spesh rep, I'd be willing to bet they'd be able to swing a deal to get you the right size.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm 5' 10" and ride a medium demo 8. A small would kill me. Get the med!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I posted this in the specialized forum, but im looking for a quick response about geting a larger frame.

I ordered a small demo 8 from my local dealer and picked it up tonight. I feel like the reach on the bike is a little short, and the seatpost/ride height is a little tall. If i were to want a medium frame, should my dealer have any problem with exchanging it (After they put it together). They would only have to exchange frames correct?

Im 5' 9.5" btw.

Any other demo riders have an issue w/ this? I feel like a medium w/ a cut down seatpost would be better, given the standover height is not excessively taller.
    sounds like you needed to do more research before ordering your frame. Cutting a seatpost is VERY common on DH bikes, if you got the small because of the seatpost it;s your fault. The shop will probably take it back, and if they are realy cool not hit you with a restock fee. If you rode the thing though you are SOL the bike is now used and the shop can't sell it as new.
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

Locs on Spokez
    Purchased a Demo, and its too small...
    Fail.

But yeah man, good luck.
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Honestly dude, you should have done a bit more research... possibly do your business with a bike shop that knows how to properly size people on a bike. You should have tried to ride one versus just stand over it.

As far as exchanging it... well in the car industry we have whats called the "white line rule." As soon as your car is purchased and you cross the white line (bike lane) as you leave their parking lot, its you'rs and they can laugh in your face when you try to return it. Some shops are the exact same. Be careful man, and do some research when you're buying your next bike. I mean it's like 3-4 grand, wouldn't you want to make sure that everything was kosher BEFORE you bought it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I don't think you'll have a huge problem getting the bike swapped. Most shops should have a return policy unless they made you sign something that says all sales are final. I can't imagine the shop refusing it if it doesn't fit you and they recommended the size. Now if you specifically asked for a small against their recommendation it could be a bit tougher. Specialized is a monster of a company, if the shop gives you a lot of trouble try contacting your local Spesh rep, I'd be willing to bet they'd be able to swing a deal to get you the right size.
    Even tho Spec is a Monster company doesn't mean they have Demo frames just laying around. Rather they have very limited stock on their higher end products. On their lower end products you could easily trade.

Shops that do have lots of Spec bikes will have had that bike on pre-season order. You could trade that stock. In the OP's post they don't have the large Spec inventory from the sounds of it, by having him jump on a customer's bike... and having to order it in.

Me thinks that they OP is toast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    sounds like its a 50/50 mistake

The bike shop told him that its a large when he tried it(albeit only fondling it), then later they said its a medium so he ordered from his experience on this.

Well let us know what happens, your best chance really is to go down to the shop again, and talk to them.

If that fails, give spesh a ring and talk to them about the situation.

Remember to be polite always, in cases like this your pretty much at the mercy of their thoughts, so coming off as a jerk, wont get you anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    lots of good advice and I'd take a little of everybody. If it were me I know my spech shop would probably swap even though their mtn bike inventory is 99% xc w/ a few endro's in there thats it. Not a big call for DH bikes. So that IMO will be the biggest opstical to over come. But I agree w/ dean it's sounds more like a 50/50 mistake. Shop should've ACUALLY sized you versus what you were thinking. I mean 5'10" is pretty average height and I'm willing to bet who ever your salesman was, was pretty close to your height and should've known better than to say yup you need a small.
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Your mom feels kinda clunky.
    But hey Im not complaining.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i went and rode on the medium Demo 7, and it felt like it was about the same size as my Small 8. Some of the akwardness might just be from my lack of expierence w/ downhill mtbs, but i think ill be able to tweek the small to make it work for me. if it means geting a longer stem, or higher rise bars later on. Sliding the seat back and standing the current bars a little more forward helped add about an inch or so to the reach.

Ahahaha
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    Fail.

But yeah man, good luck.
    winnar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I know a lot of shops have a no return policy on special orders, as my shop does. There is no way hell my shop (Spec dealer) would take that small back, put it on the floor, and get him a medium. It was a special order, meaning the shop doesn't stock it, because they no they wouldn't sell it! And I highly doubt the shop will just exchange sizes, considering he was the one who ultimately decided on the small. And the fact that the bike has already been built (regardless if it was ridden) doesn't help his situation at all.

Good luck trying to exchange it man!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    sounds like its a 50/50 mistake

The bike shop told him that its a large when he tried it(albeit only fondling it), then later they said its a medium so he ordered from his experience on this.

Well let us know what happens, your best chance really is to go down to the shop again, and talk to them.

If that fails, give spesh a ring and talk to them about the situation.

Remember to be polite always, in cases like this your pretty much at the mercy of their thoughts, so coming off as a jerk, wont get you anywhere.
    if it was a M then a small would have been the right size
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i went and rode on the medium Demo 7, and it felt like it was about the same size as my Small 8. Some of the akwardness might just be from my lack of expierence w/ downhill mtbs, but i think ill be able to tweek the small to make it work for me. if it means geting a longer stem, or higher rise bars later on. Sliding the seat back and standing the current bars a little more forward helped add about an inch or so to the reach.
    You want the bar height low on a DH bike regardless of size the headtube on ALL of the demos is the same height. As well if you are trying to fit your DH bike by adjusting saddle on the rails you are going about it entirely the wrong way, in some ways reach on a DH bike has more to do with were your BB is in relation to the bars being that you spend most of the time out of the saddle.

Although I do sapose where the saddle is does matter for cornering and some control (for some people) but as a function of saddle to bar reach it realy doesn't matter for bike fit.
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0