Prototype Mountain Cycle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Prototype Mountain Cycle

Check out this prototype Mountain Cycle.
    It shares the indestructible front end of the ShockWave 9point5 downhill bike, but uses a lighter and much shorter swingarm to produce a very maneuverable rip-around bike.
    Here's the spec's
    4-1/2" travel
    15-1/4" chainstays (yes, that's right!)
    14-1/4" bb hight
    15" seat tube
    35 lbs built up as shown with all beefy parts.

As of now, there are no plans to put this into production. This was just an experiment I put together inside the factory. I think it rides great, very flickable, yet not too loopy.

what do you think?
    Tim

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Check out this prototype Mountain Cycle.
    It shares the indestructible front end of the ShockWave 9point5 downhill bike, but uses a lighter and much shorter swingarm to produce a very maneuverable rip-around bike.
    Here's the spec's
    4-1/2" travel
    15-1/4" chainstays (yes, that's right!)
    14-1/4" bb hight
    15" seat tube
    35 lbs built up as shown with all beefy parts.

As of now, there are no plans to put this into production. This was just an experiment I put together inside the factory. I think it rides great, very flickable, yet not too loopy.

what do you think?
    Tim
    Hmm,

looks very cool The BB height seems a little tall with such low travel, I assume this means not much sag,so...

Can she rip the DJ's? Looks like she could, but i'd feel a little 'high up' with that BB... I mean I assume only right? But it would seem it would pitch your forward a bit, no? yes?

Anyaway cool man!

MTBR Mafia
    i think all their bikes are really funky looking. personally would not ride one
    but i kno they are great bikes and im sure this one is/will be no exception
    Last edited by cdub; 07-01-2005 at 09:15 PM.
    All Mountain was so 2005

Jan 2004
    maaaaan that is sick. you're seriously sooo freaking lucky to work with mountain cycle, definitely got some sweet bikes up there. Only thing I don' like about it is how little travel it had (I know I know it has its reasons but I like my bikes in the 7in range =P)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pdirt
    Hmm,

looks very cool The BB height seems a little tall with such low travel, I assume this means not much sag,so...

Can she rip the DJ's? Looks like she could, but i'd feel a little 'high up' with that BB... I mean I assume only right? But it would seem it would pitch your forward a bit, no? yes?

Anyaway cool man!
    Thanks,
    I wanted the bb low, but the head angle would get slacker. This feels great. Lets me wall ride awesome, and I'm no "wall rider". Bunny hops and manuals awesome!
    I wasn't real happy with the seat tube hight of the MC fury, and a short rear end sounded fun. Definitely worlds better than the flexy Heckler that I rode awhile ago.

surf-ride-repeat
    Thanks,
    I wanted the bb low, but the head angle would get slacker. This feels great. Lets me wall ride awesome, and I'm no "wall rider". Bunny hops and manuals awesome!
    I wasn't real happy with the seat tube hight of the MC fury, and a short rear end sounded fun. Definitely worlds better than the flexy Heckler that I rode awhile ago.

All good. I hear rumors of a few companies actually going into prodcution with the same sort of concept, low travel, short chain stay, higher BB FS bikes for DJ/MTX...

I may be on a proto myself soon, I'll keep ya posted...

SNOWRIDER
    Sweet man looks good

say Tim you still got that D.O.T. for sale? Or let me know what you have I need a fork for my ski-bike before the snow falls
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBsSd
    maaaaan that is sick. you're seriously sooo freaking lucky to work with mountain cycle, definitely got some sweet bikes up there. Only thing I don' like about it is how little travel it had (I know I know it has its reasons but I like my bikes in the 7in range =P)
    Thanks alot.
    I don't really need a 7" bike. I've got my proto 9point5 for the big rough stuff. The little bike feels great for everything else. It's sweet having two bikes that are drastically different, yet feel the same.

Mountain Cycle will be at Falls City Saturday. Say hi to Landon, Ryan, or me if you see us.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydude
    Sweet man looks good

say Tim you still got that D.O.T. for sale? Or let me know what you have I need a fork for my ski-bike before the snow falls
    Naw, sold it awhile ago. I've got some other stuff though. How 'bout a psylo u-turn?
    You should start riding in the dirt, come join us tomorrow, it's fun.

SNOWRIDER
    Naw, sold it awhile ago. I've got some other stuff though. How 'bout a psylo u-turn?
    Hey I ride the dirt all the time, The snow is just a special winter time rush you should try it what you doing tomorrow? I need to go to universal in the morning for tires and got some other errands but whats up?

How much for the psylo?
    I dont need much for the ski-bike just a cheap short to mid travel fork I was thinking dc just to prevent bar spins during crashes ( that front ski flayling around is killer)
    but some adjustability would be nice
    Last edited by Deweydude; 07-01-2005 at 10:01 PM.
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    So Rob is back working with you guys I hear? Tell him FACE is calling his name down in SLO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn
    So Rob is back working with you guys I hear? Tell him FACE is calling his name down in SLO.
    Rob's a great guy, good to have him back. Hopefully he'll join us for the ride at Falls City tomorrow.
    Tim

BJ-

Jan 2004
    the new colour scheme is nice, good to see your back on MCs again...

crumb
    Check your pms
    ETBW
    Magura

Pro Crastinator
    personally, i'm not a fan of your swingarms, but i think your mainframes look sweet....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks alot.
    I don't really need a 7" bike. I've got my proto 9point5 for the big rough stuff. The little bike feels great for everything else. It's sweet having two bikes that are drastically different, yet feel the same.

Mountain Cycle will be at Falls City Saturday. Say hi to Landon, Ryan, or me if you see us.
    Tim
    I have a 9 point 5 too. It's a good bike. You should get a better camera. Please send more pix on 9point5 with SC fork.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Brake squat and pedal feedback!!! I can't wait, it feels like 1995 all over again!

Look at the ST angle, if you try to adjust your saddle so you can climb up a little (freeride) you increase the top tube by about 5 inches, come on now, that was ok like 10 years ago, but not these days. 2" of up and down seatpost adjustment...Impressive. The suspension design is also widely outdated and outclassed by most modern linkage systems (DW link, Maestro, FSR, etc)...

If that "prototype" has no linkages (like the 9.5 does) you also forgot to mention the severe falling rate.
    Last edited by Jm.; 07-03-2005 at 08:52 PM.

Disco-Superfly
    I think you should sell it and get a good camera
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    personally, i'm not a fan of your swingarms, but i think your mainframes look sweet....

agree.....almost looks like a costco Motive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Brake squat and pedal feedback!!! I can't wait, it feels like 1995 all over again!

Look at the ST angle, if you try to adjust your saddle so you can climb up a little (freeride) you increase the top tube by about 5 inches, come on now, that was ok like 10 years ago, but not these days. 2" of up and down seatpost adjustment...Impressive. The suspension design is also widely outdated and outclassed by most modern linkage systems (DW link, Maestro, FSR, etc)...

If that "prototype" has no linkages (like the 9.5 does) you also forgot to mention the severe falling rate.
    The seat is used for grabbing with the knees and is right where it should be for dirt jumping and 4X style "stand and sprint" riding. The seat can be raised seven inches to what is for me, the full extension pedaling and the correct seat position for that. A 15.25" chainstay length could not be reached with a steeper angled seat tube, since the tire would hit.

The shock location is rising rate, not "severe falling rate", which is funny that you mentioned since frames spec'ed with air shocks often utilize falling rates to combat the natural overly progressive nature of common air shocks.

Your comments sound as if they come from who spends far too much time on the computer, rather than actual riding.

This was just a fun bike I threw together to see how it would ride. After a day at Falls City, I found it to be perfect for those downhill jump trails and took my riding to the next level.

Jm.

Jan 2004

The shock location is rising rate, not "severe falling rate.
    You show a fundamental lack of understanding of single pivot bikes.

mtbr member
    man you act like a tool sometimes. who cares what you know about bike parts? this guy builds a prototype just to have FUN and you bash him. hey twisted nice bike.
    jm you show a fundamental lack of class.
    Divide Bike Bags

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It seems pretty simple to me.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Nope, it's not. The only things you can get from a single pivot are disgressive, regressive, and almost linear. The top and bottom are both falling rates, the middle is almost linear, but it is also falling rate. The reason for this is that the rear shock mounts on the rear triangle are never moving directly towards the shock, and as you can see, this is a physical impossibliity without linkages. To make it progressive, you have to look at the rear travel as compared to the shock stroke, but since a single pivot will always move a fixed amount of shock stroke for wheel travel, it can never be progressive, again, it is a physical impossiblity.

"El Whatever"
    Nope, it's not. The only things you can get from a single pivot are disgressive, regressive, and almost linear. The top and bottom are both falling rates, the middle is almost linear, but it is also falling rate. The reason for this is that the rear shock mounts on the rear triangle are never moving directly towards the shock, and as you can see, this is a physical impossibliity without linkages. To make it progressive, you have to look at the rear travel as compared to the shock stroke, but since a single pivot will always move a fixed amount of shock stroke for wheel travel, it can never be progressive, again, it is a physical impossiblity.
    Don't sweat it.... The guy likes his invention and it's not going into production. Besides, it's not intended as a trail machine (this is the DH board, isn't it??) so don't expect to see trail-bike like bikes in here.

TWISTED: Personally... I might not like a thing or two about the bike, but I applaud you for taking your time and effort to experiment.

Riding a bike is more than linkages, rates and science of materials....
    Check my Site

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Don't sweat it.... The guy likes his invention and it's not going into production. Besides, it's not intended as a trail machine (this is the DH board, isn't it??) so don't expect to see trail-bike like bikes in here.
    There are several features that on it that I deem bad for DH or freeride, but you are correct, this is not meant to go into production and it's just for "him", so in that line of thinking it's ok.

"El Whatever"
    There are several features that on it that I deem bad for DH or freeride, but you are correct, this is not meant to go into production and it's just for "him", so in that line of thinking it's ok.
    Looks more like a 4X / DJ Machine and looks fine for the purpouse... not good for anything else, IMHO... but I don't work at a bike company (which I'd love to)
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Last edited by TWISTED; 07-05-2005 at 08:17 PM.

eci
    looks sweet, with that short of chain stays you can prolly manual that everywhere