Thread: Pros and Cons

Glad to Be Alive

Pros and Cons

Saint brakes
    vs.
    XT
    vs
    juicy 7's

Please list good and bad points, modulation, maintenance, easy to bleed, overheating, stopping power
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    The juicy 7 on my trail bike lick it big time Bob stay the hell away from that garbage! I have heard the XT 4 pistons are good, the Saint also!

-> SickLines.com <-
    I'd wait for the codes

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn
    The juicy 7 on my trail bike lick it big time Bob stay the hell away from that garbage! I have heard the XT 4 pistons are good, the Saint also!
    what goes wrong with them.......the brakes are going on the M-3 (buying all my stuff this week)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    magura gustav's

mtbr member
    Shivvy, How bout some hopes? They RULE!!! They will blow you away, M6's you can even get the plugs red to match your bike!
    I would get them over anyother brake any day IMO

dnt b a clwn thro it down
    I would get Hayes 9's. Those things kick a$$
    Throw it down NASTY.

I like air!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Saint brakes
    vs.
    XT
    vs
    juicy 7's

Please list good and bad points, modulation, maintenance, easy to bleed, overheating, stopping power
    My old school xts are the best set of disk brakes I ever had. As a matter of a fact they were brand new to the market when I first got them and paid about $550 for the set. They are still on my XC bike 6 or 7 years later, thousands of miles and they were bleed twice and thats it. They still feel perfect.

I wish Saint Disks came complete with levers, hose, caliper and choice of rotor. That would make things so much easier.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

I like the Saints...

I can give a thumbs-up for the Saints... they felt great before they were even bedded... just got better and better. Tons of control and good overall power. I am pretty sure they are the same brake as the XT.

Haven't fiddled with them yet, but Shimano brakes are a pretty easy bleed in my experience. Maintenance free so far, although it's only been about 2 months that I have had them.

You can go with Saint hubs and use the centerlock rotors (nice for you since you ship your bike a lot, it's easy to take the rotors off to avoid damage), or you can get regular 6 bolt Saint rotors as far as I know...?

JMH

Saint brakes
    vs.
    XT
    vs
    juicy 7's

Yay! Bikes !
    I've used all of the above...

XT: I've used the older 755 4-pistons, not the new XTs. The 755s are still my favorite brake ever but the Saints are close. Plenty strong, easiest to bleed of anything I've used, great modulation. The only complaint is the initial setup is more involved as you need to shim your calipers with spacers vs. using a slotted adapter that allows easy centering. You can still find them on Ebay for a good price. Two thumbs up.

Saints: just put them on my hardtail. So far they are excellent. Feel like the 755s, great modulation, tons of power, super easy to set up and bleeding is as easy as falling down. Again, two thumbs up.

Juicys: I have 5s, not 7s. I have to admit I had high hopes for these but after riding them for a while I'm just not sold. Pros; easy to set up, good lever, lots of power. Cons; total on/off (at least compared to my shimanos) and bleeding is a pain. I have friends that love 'em, but not me. Mine are for sale. I'm going back to 755s on the fully (I kept one set ... "just in case")

mtbr member
    Another vote here for the Magura Louise FR. An amazing brake. Easy to maintain. SILENT.

If you are looking for ridiculous power then Gustav. Love em on my V-tach.

Saint brakes
    vs.
    XT
    vs
    juicy 7's

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop
    Blimey Idiot......................
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 09-14-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Meh.
    Saint brakes
    vs.
    XT
    vs
    juicy 7's

Most people that have had issues with the J7s are because of improper setup or defective rotors.

Since you're a big boy, go for the Avid Code. That's a sweet brake.

Shimano brakes seem to be hit or miss. They either work really well or just barely slow you down. A lot of it has to do with setup as well.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    Currently running the SAINTS on my Bighit...never had a problem with them. Also have the old XT's w/new style levers on my Enduro...those braakes are still kickin. Overall Shimano brakes have treated me well, would no go with any other brand.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Most people that have had issues with the J7s are because of improper setup or defective rotors.

Since you're a big boy, go for the Avid Code. That's a sweet brake.

Shimano brakes seem to be hit or miss. They either work really well or just barely slow you down. A lot of it has to do with setup as well.
    no problems with set up.......I am pretty good w/a wrench

mtbr member
    no problems with set up.......I am pretty good w/a wrench
    shiver im telling you bro, get the hopes, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED, i think there like 300 too, which isnt that expensive considering 7's are 250

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Another vote for the hopes. Great power, feel and modulation. Build quality is impressive also. everything is machined, not forgd

mtbr member
    Flip the bike upsidedown and they suck in AIR!!! The modulation people like is not very good! My HOPE 4 PISTONS had way better modulation and power.

Meh.
    The new Hope Moto FRs looks super bling.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    The Saint's are the best by far when it comes to modulation amd power,XT's are descent all around and the 7's have good power with good modulation.#1 Saint,#2 Juicy 7's,#3 XT's.

mtbr member
    Check out some Formulas BOB! Or another vote for HOPE 6 POTS
    SICK!!!!!!!!!

Custom User Title
    The 7's work great if they are set up correct. I have not been on the Saint's but heard good things about them. I also heard good things about the new Code's. The Hope systems look good but after some hard braking they fade but they have changed for 07. Magura? But they should rightly be the best. They were the first.

Edit: I think the Shimano brakes use smaller rotors then everybody else.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

hands up who wants to die
    Aren't new XTs and Saints the same thing besides paint color and rotor size?

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    The 7's work great if they are set up correct. I have not been on the Saint's but heard good things about them. I also heard good things about the new Code's. The Hope systems look good but after some hard braking they fade but they have changed for 07. Magura? But they should rightly be the best. They were the first.

uhhh hopes fade? I dont think so bro, ive got a few friends that DH race on em and have had them for years

notabouttoseeyourlight
    The new Shimano brakes seem to be pretty much bulletproof. You'd be fine with Saints, or Saints w/ XT levers if you're trying to save a little cash (which i know you AREN'T!)... The Avid Codes are supposed to be money... Plus they'll be the newest thing Bobalu!!! The Magura Gustav's will stop you more powerfully than anything in the world and the Magura Louise FR are great feeling, very powerful brakes with a significantly smaller weight penalty than the Gustav's...

I personally hated my Juicy 7's but that was due to the fact that they sounded like dying turkeys when you applied any braking force and supposedly this is correctable with the round rotors...

I hate Hopes more than any other brakes out there... I think Kidwoo put it best when he said: "Hopes let you think about what great uh......"modulation" you have while you're running into a tree on the side of the trail squeezing the crap out of the lever to get a little sumpin sumpin."

I guess if you take the time to set them up right they can work decent, but who wants to do that!?!?!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop
    I'm with swoop - the Hayes stuff does totally lick a$$
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Hopes

Coma13, that's the best phrase I've ever heard to describe hopes before.

I run them on my XC bike and HATE them.

Shiver's go Saint, I've used
    Hayes
    Hopes
    Avids
    Saints

The Saints have the best power/modulation/set it and forget it of any of the brakes I've listed.

Road/XC/Freeride
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    I'd wait for the codes
    Or Hope Moto FRs...
    I'm on the Twitter.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    So anyone with time on the Magura Louise FR...do they have enough power for serious DH'ing? i.e. 48lbs bike with 200lb rider.

New project, TBA shortly
    due to non-conforming rotor sizes/adaptors, I write off both Hopes and Maguras. Nothing like bending a rotor at a race and trying to find that elusive 210/200/190mm spare that nobody has.

Saints = XTs. Excellent power and modulation, bleeding is relatively easy. Currently running one resin and one metallic pad, although you can definitely tweak them to find out the perfect blend of power/modulation by swapping pads.

Juicy 7s - Good all around brake, ran them last year and pretty much a set and forget brake. better power/modulation than the hayes mags, probably comparable to the saints. little more finicky setup, but overall very good.

Formulas - limited use, but excellent in terms of power, modulation and weight. haven't had to bleed them.

Codes - even less use, but very, VERY promising. additional power, and amazing modulation.

Glad to Be Alive
    so the Saints are the same as the XT's but you get all the stuff w/the XT's.....is this true

Old No. 7
    I think Coma13 said it w/ the Saint breaks and XT levers. Exactly what I'm running on a 46.5lb bike with my 232lbs of pure mean muscle on it. I can't say how much better this set up is compared to my old 9s. I'm not entirely sure but I think the main complaint with Saint is all the compadibility issues and the levers being not so hot on the Saint line, but with the XT levers you can outfit em with DangerBoys like mine. I'm in love.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele

Same diameter rotors, but the braking path is narrower since the pad shape is mrore rectangular.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am anxiously awaiting these...

http://www.sram.com/en/avid/hydrauli...rakes/code.php

Triple bearings at the lever pivot means smooth action and NO slop.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms

Oh no! Is this going to turn out like the razor industry? I can just see Hayes coming out with a new brake that has four bearings at the pivot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Oh no! Is this going to turn out like the razor industry? I can just see Hayes coming out with a new brake that has four bearings at the pivot!

Haha, that would be a direct contradiction to Hayes' "12 degress of slop" marketing campaign.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms

ok...how much are those fuccers gonna cost

mtbr member
    Codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Members who have read this thread: 0