Progressive tuned out my precious POP- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Progressive tuned out my precious POP

So, the 5th Element on my Iron Horse 7point7 didn't come with the correct tune.....or bushings for that matter. I new this when I bought it, I just hoped it wouldn't be that big a deal. I rode my bike for a few months and the bike didn't totally blow my mind. It land jumps really well--even though I could bottom out the stock spring rate in the parking lot. But, I didn't feel that it pedalled as good as it should have. And it didn't take the hi speed, continous impacts well. It felt like it was stuck in the bottom of it's travel too much. Sure it pedalled great while you're in the saddle, but out of the saddle and it bobs like all other 7 inch bikes. My 888 seems to bob like crazy too. It wasn't nearly as noticable on my old bike. Banshee Scream with 888. I wonder if, because of the steeper HA on the Iron Horse, that puts more of a direct downward force on the the fork, that it makes it bob more. Either way, I want to get a compression sleeve adjuster dealio. There cheap and I'm sure my fork could use some fresh oil. So I decided I should do what everyone says to do....and get my 5th rebuilt. There is some thing to do with the low compresion of the DW link that requires the rebuild. I have a pretty cool jump location that makes it real obvious just how much pop your bike has. Good old I Street in Salt Lake. Specifically the step-down to step-up. The first time there, and it was better than my scream with a 5th element. But, since after the rebuild, I can't even barely make it up the step-up. And the jump is hitting all-time right now. I saw little homie boosting 8 feet over the lip. I had to pedal harder into the jumps and really load my suspension more in the compresion of the jumps to clear them. So now I'm wondering, what did Progressive do to the shock to adjust for the low compresion. I have the rebound for as fast as it will go. It's a little bit faster after the rebuild. It was sort of funny. I spend $25 to send my shock overnight to Progressive, they promised 24hr turn around time for the rebuild. Not their normal procude they claim. It took them 7 days. Not all that bad really. They had it for almost a month last time. But what's up with my shock? I want the DHX 5.0. I think it might solve my problems. Anyway here's a shot of the step-up mentioned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004
    5TH's aren't known for their 'pop', they want to keep the wheel stuck to the ground. Lord help you if you want to bunnyhop that thing. Not that my hopping skills are great, but I can jump on a friend's bike and BOING up I go. I think tftuned can build them to have more springiness, but they are in England. DHX is probably the way to go.

East Coast Style
    yeah, I noticed how difficult it was to get the ironhorse sunday off the ground when I test rode it (its the closest thing to that 7point7). I think its like he said, 5ths dont have that pop in them, they want to stay on the ground. thats honestly why I never really liked 5ths to begin with. a DHX would probly be the way to go, thats what I'd do.
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    yeah, i have a 7point7, and havn't gotten the tuning yet. So would you recommend not getting the tuning? I thought dw said it would speed up the rebound, i would think that would give it more pop? I'm already thinking about getting a DHX air . They are supposedly going to come in 9 x 2.75 too

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Teague
    yeah, i have a 7point7, and havn't gotten the tuning yet. So would you recommend not getting the tuning? I thought dw said it would speed up the rebound, i would think that would give it more pop? I'm already thinking about getting a DHX air . They are supposedly going to come in 9 x 2.75 too
    I'm not sure if I would recommend getting the tune. If your riding your bike almost everyday, don't worry about it until this winter. The tune did speed up the rebound a little bit. I've been riding with it set as fast as it will go--which is faster than how i had it set up for my banshee. My bike definitely has more of a "dead" feel to it now.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    haha i think the sunday and 7point frames are super bouncy for having a 5th element shock. i love my sunday with the new shock tune. i have yet to ride anything that felt that smooth and agile, but still be able to change lines quickly. the new shock tunes actually speed up your rebound, so if anything happens, you will be getting more pop. put more lip on the jump. did you ever look to see if some 1 messed with the jump, people are always cutting our lips down around here, gets to be a pain often. goodluck

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Try boosting the chamber pressure and/or decrease chamber volume....

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    in one of my threads my brother is looking for the 7 point frame read my post and tell me what you think http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=132643
    thanks

also how much do they weigh
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by free-rider_down-hiller
    in one of my threads my brother is looking for the 7 point frame read my post and tell me what you think http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=132643
    thanks

also how much do they weigh
    something like 98 pounds...very light
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    something like 98 pounds...very light
    thanks i thought they were heavy
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

Members who have read this thread: 0