profile cranks - what's needed to convert from- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. profile cranks - what's needed to convert from

BMX bb to MTB bb?
    Broke my ds crank arm. Nobody seriously hurt. But, I'm convinced I need cromoly cranks. I'm 225 + gear, and on a hardtail. I can get used profile cranks on Ebay, but I need to convert to MTB bb. Is MTB same as what the sites (Danscomp, Frankford) are calling "Euro" bb?
    In other words, will a Euro bb make the crank arms fit right on my mountain bike? (I'll need a spider, too, I guess).
    Any help appreciated - K

Pro Crastinator
    yes, Euro = MTB

Glad to Be Alive
    simple solution......get the Saints....I weigh the same as you and I swear by them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the quick reply - a few other questions?

Thanks - I have a few other questions for those running cromo cranks on their mtb, to wit:
    1. Will a less expensive set (i.e., Primo, Snafu, Poverty) work as well as profile, and if not, how much less well (? - long day at work) will they work, incrementally speaking:
    2. I hear they're a pain to set up - any tips;
    3. are you able to "feel" the difference in weight? I'm coming off of some very light cranks.

Any other thoughts that might help me in this process would also be appreciated.

Thanks again - K

VIA
    banned
    I change my RaceFace DH for this DK BMX cromoly crankset and have no problem with it... But I didn't have problems with the RF aither so...w/e ... good luck

mtbr member
    Don't buy poverty...it's just a manufacturer for Dans Comp. Snafu makes good stuff, and I have the Primo powerbites on my bmx. they are aluminum, and very strong...i beat the piss out of my bmx and never have had a problem.

nsmb member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontgothere
    Thanks - I have a few other questions for those running cromo cranks on their mtb, to wit:
    1. Will a less expensive set (i.e., Primo, Snafu, Poverty) work as well as profile, and if not, how much less well (? - long day at work) will they work, incrementally speaking:
    2. I hear they're a pain to set up - any tips;
    3. are you able to "feel" the difference in weight? I'm coming off of some very light cranks.

Any other thoughts that might help me in this process would also be appreciated.

Thanks again - K
    Actually, I'm running Poverty's on my .243 hardtail. They work great. I have Saint's on my ASX, and those work great too. Do you plan on running a single ring up front? Gears in the back? If you run a single ring up front and gears in the back, you'll definitely require a chain tensioner of some sort. Profile makes one that's pretty decent and realitively cheap. If you want to run more than one ring up front, yeah, you'll need a spider. Profile makes those, too. If you can afford it, I'd say go with the profiles. If you're a broke guy like me, get the Poverty's. I haven't had any problems with them yet.
    "Dios Mio, man! Liam and me, we gonna **** you up!"